Gransnet forums

Menopause

HRT shortage

(87 Posts)
Tooting29 Tue 12-Nov-19 18:24:43

I sometimes wonder how our mothers coped pre HRT.

Tangerine Tue 12-Nov-19 17:24:30

I had HRT for a couple of years after a hysterectomy but was then told I ought to stop having it.

I accept I was fortunate but I didn't experience any difficulties at all when I stopped taking it.

Perhaps people could try coming off HRT. I understand some people will truly find it impossible.

kircubbin2000 Tue 12-Nov-19 16:35:59

As it's not an actual illness just get over it.

Tooting29 Tue 12-Nov-19 16:23:40

Never used HRT, so can't comment. I had an enforced menopause and just got on with it.

lottieloves Tue 12-Nov-19 16:03:32

From experience and what I understand the above regarding progesterone is absolutely true. You can get progesterone easily in tablet form or by using a Mirena coil. But the oestrogen is more problematic to obtain if you want it in patch form. Orally `i think it is readily available still. Overall it boils down to which form of HRT suits you best. Many women find that patches do but that is an issue in terms of supply right now

QuaintIrene Tue 12-Nov-19 16:02:39

I didn’t take HRT I just suffered,terribly but it’s done with now.
But my friend has had problems with her usual tablets and was offered Premarin. She won’t take them because of the ethical issues but also because her Rabbi says it’s not kosher.
Last I heard, she is weaning off her meds and seeing how she feels. Pretty rough I expect.

agnurse Tue 12-Nov-19 15:51:10

PSA: Ladies, please make sure that if you still have your uterus, you check with your provider regarding your need for progesterone. Unopposed estrogen should not be used in a woman who still has a uterus, because it can increase the risk for endometrial cancer (cancer of the lining of the uterus; sadly, not a theoretical risk as this is the most common reproductive malignancy in women). Your provider will be able to tell you exactly what you should be taking.

PamGeo Tue 12-Nov-19 15:48:20

Premarin is unpopular and rightly so, it's barbaric cruelty for the greedy suppliers.

Please please don't use this, try anything, go cold turkey and let the menopause pass just as puberty did, try anything else but this.

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Nov-19 15:38:00

I use Premarin pills. Not a popular one as its a natural one from mares urine and the method used to obtain it isn’t the best. But it’s the only one which works for me and I have tried many chemical sorts - pills and patches - but none worked well. No problems with obtaining it, but it does come from Canada.

B9exchange Tue 12-Nov-19 15:29:16

I was switched in August to a different make of the same drug, and bizarrely am doing even better on it, so have been given a further supply.

If you want an update on your own supply, you can check it out here thebms.org.uk/2019/08/british-menopause-society-update-on-hrt-supply-shortages/

maybemaybenot Tue 12-Nov-19 15:24:52

It is almost impossible to get it in my area. I was using Evorel Sequi but that is now rarer than hens' teeth. I switched to Evorel 50 plus oral progesterone but now can't get those patches either. The GP just told me to keep looking but I have tried everywhere and found nothing. Initially I was told that the shortage would be over in October but when I did some googling yesterday I saw that they are now talking about summer 2020 at best. I have no idea what I am meant to do until then

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Nov-19 15:01:32

We've been keeping an eye on this story, not least because we know it affects some gransnetters. It doesn't look as though the situation is improving though and we wanted to find out if any of you who are using HRT are finding it difficult to get hold of? Or how would you feel if you did find yourself in this situation? It appears that so many women are finding their health and wellbeing compromised with no real answers forthcoming from the government or healthcare providers as to when this is likely to change. We'd love to hear your stories.