Gransnet forums

Menopause

Where have my lips gone?

(67 Posts)
Mbra12 Tue 21-Jan-20 19:27:00

I am 67. Late menopause. Hysterectomy three years ago. Now I am beginning to look like someone who has taken their false teeth out! Lipstick (which I rarely wear) accentuates this. Genetics are probably part of this because so did my mother. However she didn’t have any teeth. (The dentist who advised that should have been burned in oil). Totally against any invasive treatment. Any ideas?

Amapola2499 Wed 22-Jan-20 17:03:23

I'm 65 and my lips started thinning over the last year or so. I have been using No7 firming booster serum twice daily on my lips, (it's not actually for lips but I like to think out of the box) it's taken a few months but I've had really good results. I should add I work for No7.

Papilionem Wed 22-Jan-20 17:17:29

My hygienist recommended using Sensodyne Rapid Relief toothpaste as my gums were a bit sore. After a while it had the effect of plumping up my lips, which I noticed every morning. I must have had a bit of an allergy to it so I stopped using it. The effect did not last all day however and was a bit uncomfortable on my gums. So, of course, it's not for everyone so I'm not actually recommending it - just saying.

Namsnanny Wed 22-Jan-20 17:21:50

In my case, on my a$$ where every other thing seems to end up grin

V3ra Wed 22-Jan-20 17:33:28

I find concentrating my face into a gentle smile helps avoid the grumpy, jowly look and widens my lips.

I had my sparse eyebrows microbladed nearly three years ago, best thing ever.
Yes it hurts as the clue is in the name: the therapist makes very fine cuts through the skin, first in one direction, then across, then back again.
Then a pigment is pressed in.
Mine didn't use anaesthetic as she said the colour doesn't absorb so well if the skin is numb.
You have to keep it dry and avoid swimming and saunas for ten days or so.
When I wanted to wash my hair I waterproofed my eyebrows with Vaseline and tipped my head well back under the shower. They didn't scab too badly at all.
You have to go back after a few weeks for a "top-up," which was basically the whole thing again.
I took ear plugs that time as while I could cope with the pain (kept telling myself you've given birth three times, you can do this) it was the sound of the blade that really set my teeth on edge!
It cost £275 and was worth every penny to me.

Gangang Wed 22-Jan-20 17:39:34

Gosh, it seems that lots of my body parts have either shifted ‘south’ or thinned out too. However, at least I don’t have to have my legs waxed now - a positive uptake of reaching a certain age. Keep smiling!

Summerfly Wed 22-Jan-20 18:27:57

I’m with you Betty18. I lost all the plumpness from my lips. Found a wonderful girl who does a very subtle job. So glad I plucked up the courage to have it done. I’ll definitely go back when I need to. ?

PamGeo Wed 22-Jan-20 19:20:13

My lips aren't as thin as I thought they were when I was younger but I've defiantly lost some of the pigment from my lower lip. I usually use a tinted lip balm if I'm not going anywhere that warrants lip stick but I do like to do my eyebrows.

Ohmother Wed 22-Jan-20 19:49:18

Lucywinter you’ve got us having a go at whistling now. ?

Quickdraw Wed 22-Jan-20 20:47:32

Haha. Check your top lip for your eyebrows , that's where mine have landed. I now have no eyebrows and a moustache Framilode

sharon103 Wed 22-Jan-20 21:23:35

lol Quickdraw Wed 22-Jan-20 20:47:32
Not funny really I know but can't help laughing at some of these comments.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Jan-20 21:28:38

Hilarious. Laughter is the best medicine!

Bussy Wed 22-Jan-20 22:26:10

Filorga Nutri Lip Filler it’s a gloss like lipsalve. Buy in Debenhams or Amazon £22.00 lasts for a good while. It gives a little oomph to disappearing lips. I use it and love it, not invasive and it works.

Noanana Wed 22-Jan-20 23:15:21

Lucky four, I’m like you. Lipstick and eyebrow pencil just for me. I truly believe my legs wouldn’t work without them.

At a class today (embroidery). For some weird reason the lack of eyebrows was brought up ( cuppa time). Quite a few of the over 60 girls had had their eyebrows tattooed on. Blade something?
All commented that it was “life changing “.

Not sure about lip plumping, but who knows. I once said that I’d NEVER dye my hair. Ha ha ha ha ha ha !

Baloothefitz Thu 23-Jan-20 02:59:36

The Duchess of Cambridge has virtually no top lip & she looks fine so no need to worry.

AlexG Thu 23-Jan-20 10:06:55

They've gone to find my eyebrows! Gone are the days of having to get them tidied up; now I have to add some fine eyebrow pencil to help them show at all. They've not just gone grey they've thinned out to almost extinction. Funny the changes that occur when we get older of which we know nothing until they happen!!

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jan-20 10:10:01

Well, there is a plus side to all this.

At least we'll be using less lipstick.