Gransnet forums

Menopause

5-HPT Any feedback please

(4 Posts)
lyndaann55 Thu 12-Mar-20 22:43:21

any feedback please

BradfordLass73 Fri 13-Mar-20 06:33:29

I took this for a while when it was recommended for insomnia.

It worked at first, for about a month perhaps then it seemed as if my body got used to it and went back to it abnorma sleep pattern.

Of course this doesn't happen to everyone and I know at least one lady who takes it every night to great effect.

Sparklefizz Fri 13-Mar-20 09:24:23

I am the same as BradfordLass ... it worked for a while but not for long. Now I take Valerian drops plus Glycine capsules, and that combination has worked well for months now.

anniezzz09 Fri 13-Mar-20 09:32:16

I took this for a while and still take it occasionally. You mean 5htp don't you, it's a herb which gives your body the ability to make serotonin so it lifts your mood. It mustn't be taken with drugs called SSRI s.

I didn't take it for insomnia or menopausal symptoms but for depression. I liked it because it lifted my mood enough to let me get on with life but it wasn't addictive and I didn't suffer side effects. I'm very sensitive to drugs and SSRIs left me feeling hammered. I found St John's Wort made me feel agitated.

I find now that it helps with SAD, our winter greyness drags me down. Everyone reacts differently so I'd say try it with caution but if you don't overdose I believe there are no known side effects. Hope that helps.