Gransnet forums

Menopause

Surgical Menopause - What To Do About HRT

(11 Posts)
Framilode Sun 06-Dec-20 20:05:06

I had a surgical menopause over 20 years ago and went onto HRT tablets. They kept the worst symptoms away but didn't completely make up for my ovaries. I was then switched onto gel which didn't suit me. I am now back on tablets which are fine.
I am now in my mid seventies and still on HRT. My bones are strong and I intend to stay on it for as long as I can.
Sometimes you need to give it a bit of time to get the full effects, or perhaps get the dose increased.

Jools1x Sun 06-Dec-20 19:23:38

Hi, I am 53 and six weeks post op from total hysterectomy, I had a private consultation previous to the op and was recommended oestrogel, I started applying 2 pumps every day as recommended for two weeks but did not feel any difference I still had hot flushes and night sweats and felt tired, I then increased to four pumps, two of a morning and two of an evening as advised but still no difference, last week I spoke to the doctor again who was surprised my hot sweats hadn’t started reducing by now and she said I could increase by another two pumps to six, have been doing this for a week but still no difference, I had such high hopes for the oestrogel as read so many positive stories about it, she did say some women have trouble absorbing the gel and I could try patches after the three month mark if still no joy, she mentioned estrodot, I asked my local doctor if I could have my oestrogen levels checked to see if I was absorbing the gel but he said they do not do this as routine and I can’t afford to keep having private consultations, in answer to your question regarding the patches sticking, I used Everol sequi patches a couple of years ago and found the lifted at the edges sometimes so I used tegaderm tape over the top which you can get on prescription or over the counter x

Mancjules Tue 30-Jun-20 22:05:55

I had a hystericalectomy at 40. Went on patches immediately until I was 50. I came off them slowly thinking I'd be ok. Worst decision! Struggled with flushes, night sweats and fuzzy moments for 8 years and went back on them. Feel great now.

Sunnysideup Mon 29-Jun-20 19:41:54

Hi there, first of all I’m sorry to read that you’re feeling so ghastly and can sympathise as I felt ghastly for 12 years trying to cope with every menopausal symptom under the sun! Didn’t want HRT as family history of breast cancer but it was either go on it or spend goodness how long feeling awful. There were no signs of my symptoms abating so at the age of 64 I started on oestrogen only, Estradot patches. I am now 70 and although the patch hasn’t controlled all of my symptoms my quality of life is 100% improved. The patches stick on fine. I shall be on them for the rest of my life. The only trouble is that they aren’t available at the moment and haven’t been for a long time. I have 50mcg and have not been able to get them. I still have some left from when I bought them out in Tenerife at the beginning of the year. So I’d give it a good go and also log into the Menopause Matters website where there is a wealth of information and some very well informed, kind ladies. Good luck.

Tigertooth Sat 27-Jun-20 21:52:33

I had my surgical menopause 4 months ago and no HRT offered. Since then I felt OK but lately I feel very bruised in my undercarriage, like I've been kicked between the legs. Also quite anxious. I'm going to look into HRT but it really depends who you talk to.
My mother went on HRT at 52 after terrible symptoms, believe it or not she's just come off it - at new GP's insistence, she's 88 and the night sweats have started again and she has less energy - she really regrets coming off of them.

Esspee Mon 11-May-20 16:39:40

@*Blueberrygran*. The reason your consultant does not recommend pills is because once you swallow them they pass through your liver which removes much of the oestrogen which you then excrete. For this reason pills are very much stronger than transdermal oestrogen as so much is removed by your liver.
Patches, gel, or (my choice) implants are low dosage and highly effective. It takes time to build up but the results are magical.

Blueberrygran Sat 02-May-20 21:11:47

Thank you so much for replying, Liz46. I really think I need to give the patches a good go. I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the next hideous flush to hit. Gosh - I do hope they work for me as well as they have for you. It's so lovely to hear positive accounts like yours.

Liz46 Sat 02-May-20 15:21:26

I had a surgical menopause and could not have HRT for several months until any possible endometriosis had left my body. I had dramatic hot flushes.

I was then put on a high dose patch and it took a little while but then I remember thinking 'this must be what it's like to be a man'. No mood swings and I just felt well.

Over the years the strength of the patches has reduced and I am now on the lowest dose. I was advised to give them up once but the hot flushes came back with a vengeance and I had my one and only panic attack as a result of having one in a shop when I had my coat on and was carrying parcels.

I did jury duty a couple of years ago and I remember thinking that I would not have been able to cope with all the travelling and hassle without the HRT.

Blueberrygran Sat 02-May-20 15:03:13

Thank you so much for replying, Sodapop. It is extremely hard, especially when the night sweats literally wring you out too. I'm so glad the tablets helped you out when you needed them. After stopping your HRT, did you notice anything much in the way of lingering symptoms at all and if so, did they pass with time?

sodapop Sat 02-May-20 13:06:35

My experience was well over 30 years ago Blueberrygran so I think things have moved on. I suffered badly with hot flushes etc and tried to soldier on but it was very difficult. I had concerns about HRT as well but decided it was worth the risk. I took the tablets on and off for 10 years and found them helpful. I was fortunate and didn't have any side effects.

Blueberrygran Sat 02-May-20 12:15:26

Inbox

Hello ladies. I'm wondering if anyone might help who has had experience of surgical menopause please. I am 51 and had my surgery 5 years ago, and it's been 5 hellish years. I wasn't given HRT after my surgery as the Consultant who carried it out 'didn't believe in it'. I now attend a Menopause Clinic under a top Professor in her field and it took a fight to get referred.

I spoke to her by phone 3 weeks ago and at the time, my GP had just placed me on Premarin and the Prof. said that she wasn't wild about this type of HRT so I have stopped it a couple of days ago. I didn't want to be on this really anyway due to ethical reasons and also raised clotting risk. To be honest, I felt pretty rubbish on and now off it.

The Prof wants me to try patches or gel - to start with a 25mcg patch but I have tried this strength before and it really didn't make a dent in my symptoms. My flushes are awful - each one is preceded by awful panic.

I am so tired out and down that I don't know if I have the strength to do all this - obviously I would like to feel better but I don't have much hope that so far from surgery that this is going to work for me, nor how long it might take to get an HRT dose that will.

I know no one can tell me what to do, but I would like to hear from any ladies who are in my position and how they fair with HRT if they use it (estrogen only). Also, how long it might take for patches to work for symptoms. The patches I have are Estradot and I actually have been given plenty of the 25's, 37.5's and 75's as the Prof hoped I might easily be able to titrate with those dosages so in that respect, she has been extremely helpful. Also, for patch users - do yours stay stuck OK? Sorry to bombard with questions, and thank you.