Gransnet forums

Menopause

Feel like I've been kicked between the legs or on a bike all day.

(16 Posts)
Tigertooth Sat 27-Jun-20 21:12:00

just that really. I had a full hysterectomy 4 moths ago, all healed nicely but now i feel kind of 'heavy' down there, like my vaginal muscles are aching.
I used to get a similar feeling when I was 17/18 on a heavy period - but there's no womb now.
I can't find anyone online who's had this except pregnant women - any idea's?

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 27-Jun-20 21:33:01

It could just be a part of the healing process, can you give your consultant a call on Monday just to check?
Meanwhile some painkillers might help if it’s uncomfortable.
I had an infection some time after mine and had a similar sensation, a course of antibiotics sorted it out.

Tigertooth Sat 27-Jun-20 21:44:53

I did wonder about an infection - i'm peeing a lot. But just a weird feeling, like bruised muscles, no burning when peeing or anything like that.

Luckygirl Sat 27-Jun-20 22:27:12

I remember feeling pretty weird after a hysterectomy and when I spoke to the consultant he said that internal organs were having to settle into new positions and it was bound to feel a bit strange for a while.

Hopefully that is all it is, but you should perhaps best consult the doc.

But I can simply tell you that my hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did - it transformed my life!

Tigertooth Sat 27-Jun-20 22:36:05

Luckygirl - Thats good to hear.
I've felt ok for 3 months - worried that somthing has 'droped' - ashamed about how little I know about my sides and what is where!
Did you go onto HRT afterwards?

NotSpaghetti Sun 28-Jun-20 06:11:51

I second seeking advice if it feels like pressure in the vaginal or lower pelvic region - if only to rule things out. Occasionally a tear develops in the vaginal cuff which can be serious.
Obviously, I hope it’s something else and there are plenty of women who take much longer to heal than 3 months. Thinking of you.

Wibby Sun 28-Jun-20 06:47:02

A fallen bladder, also known as cystocele or prolapsed bladder, is common after hysterectomies. It involves the bladder falling into the vaginal canal. Prolapsed bladder symptoms include tissue in/protruding from the vagina, problems with urination, increased bladder infections, pelvic discomfort, pain in the lower back, and pain during intercourse. If any of these symptoms are present, it is important to see your doctor so they can conduct a pelvic exam to diagnose you..

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jun-20 07:16:56

I second what Wibby said. My daughter had a hysterectomy last year and bladder prolapse was mentioned as a possible post op side effect.

Your GP will be able to diagnose it. If you are prone to constipation try to sort that out as if you do have a prolapse the added pressure could make it more troublesome for you. Carrying a bit of extra weight can also be a contributing factor.

Try not to worry and seek advice. With regard to your question about HRT it’s usually only necessary to start that right after a hysterectomy if your ovaries have also been removed.

My daughter says her hysterectomy has been of great benefit to her and she wishes she’d had it sooner. Seek advice and reassurance Tigertooth and don’t let this problem mar your recovery ?

BibiSarah Sun 28-Jun-20 07:28:32

A fallen bladder, also known as cystocele or prolapsed bladder

I did think that what the Op described sounded familiar even without having had a hysterectomy. I'd also add that what she describes also sounds similar to the symptoms of a rectocele.

Nortsat Sun 28-Jun-20 07:38:30

I second Luckygirl my consultant told me that my internal organs could take months to resettle, following my hysterectomy and oophorectomy ( removal of my womb and ovaries). I kept getting an intermittent pulling feeling on my left side and a pain like a period pain!
This all passed off after about three or four months and I had no further issues. That was six years ago.

I did not have any HRT at all. So everyone’s different.

I suggest you ring your consultant’s secretary and ask for a chat with him/her. I recall people giving me all sorts of advice and I would discuss it at my check ups and my consultant would explain why it was (always) unnecessary.

You have done the difficult thing - you have successfully got through a hysterectomy. Well done.
Now get some follow up advice from your consultant.
All good wishes ?

Tigertooth Sun 28-Jun-20 21:34:45

Thanks all - I’ve already emailed his secretary. I’m just shielding with mum in Hampshire with my elderly mother, didn’t really want to schlep back to London but I’ll see what he says.

Tigertooth Sun 28-Jun-20 21:36:57

Yes - Ovaries gone too - didn’t even know that all hysterectomies didn’t take ovaries!
I hope I’m a man in my next life!(Actually - I don’t ?)

Luckygirl Sun 28-Jun-20 22:00:22

I kept my ovaries. I agreed with the consultant before the surgery that if my ovaries looked normal he would leave them.

I hope you will be able to get some reassurance about your problems; and that you can go on to reap the benefit of the surgery.

Tigertooth Mon 29-Jun-20 15:09:33

Thank you all for your wisdom, I can speak with him on Wednesday.

Nanof3 Mon 29-Jun-20 15:20:14

Are you having enough rest, I was told to rest every afternoon after my hysterectomy and that it takes up to a year for everything to settle down.
Do check with the Dr that everything is ok and then be kind to yourself, It was the best thing I did and once everything settled down felt so much better and had so much more energy.
Good luck

dontmindstayinghome Mon 29-Jun-20 15:23:06

It sounds to me that you may have been overdoing things a bit.
I suffered the same symptoms when I started to do more as I was feeling so well.
It may just be your body's' way of saying you need to allow yourself more recovery time!

Worth giving your GP a call though to be on the safe side!