Gransnet forums

Menopause

Perimenopause and Femoston

(4 Posts)
DeeF1207 Sat 08-Aug-20 20:25:50

Hi,
I have looked through the active threads, and can’t see anything recent about Femoston, (apologies if there is a thread).
I’ve been perimenopausal for at least a couple of years, I would guess. Periods go missing quite a lot now, so I assume I’m deep in/heading out.
My last period arrived after 2 missed. OMG! The pain, the distress, the PMS was unbearable this time, although the bleed wasn’t too heavy. The moods and the awful behaviour was the deciding factor to speak to my GP.
I am snappy, aggressive, intolerant, emotional, quite a lot, (confirmed by family, friends and colleagues). This leads to shame and embarrassment, which is soul destroying. It hasn’t helped that I’m literally a few weeks into a new relationship, (after separating amicably from a husband of 24 years, 2 years ago), and I’ve already apologised for being weird, flaky and emotional 3 times. He’s a decent guy though, and so far, is patient.
I haven’t been sleeping well, have occasional temperature issues, but nothing too significant. Dry skin, dry eyes, weight gain, and joint pain. So pretty standard for perimenopause, I guess.
My GP was fabulous. We discussed and agreed HRT: Femoston. I collected the prescription and started yesterday.
I’ve had a night’s sleep and have spent the day, dozing on and off. I already feel calmer - I forgot to mention the constant anxiety and anger I’ve had.
My question is: is this a quick response to the Estrogen? Or just that I’m feeling better as I’m getting some control over this ridiculous journey?
How soon do you feel the benefits of HRT?
I’m considered low risk for this medication, as am 49, with no family history of breast cancer. I had a mammogram quite recently too, and breast tissue is healthy.
I’d love to hear about the experiences people have had with this or other HRT’s.
Thank you all ❤️

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 09-Aug-20 18:24:36

There was a thread running a few weeks ago about HRT. I’ve never taken it, preferring to ride it out, but I’ve felt recently, the road’s getting a bit too bumpy! My thing is, symptoms are so intermittent, come and go, but I’m left with this constant feeling of being below parr all the time, and not feeling like me anymore, which I read once on another post, and thought it was a good all round description. I’m thinking about the more local treatments such as pessaries maybe to start with. I can’t help though, with your particular medication, but I'm sure you’ll get responses from people who can. Hope it all works for you.

Esspee Mon 10-Aug-20 15:50:44

I had an oestrogen pellet implanted during my hysterectomy.
When I awoke from the anaesthetic I felt great. Next day I was up and about, showered, styled my hair, and got dressed, helped fellow patients by fetching things. Day 3 I repotted all the day room plants and continued running errands for fellow patients all of whom were still in their beds all day.

The difference was they had not been given HRT (and had male surgeons). I had the most wonderful lady surgeon and 31 years later I’m still enjoying the life she opened up to me.

I reckon DeeF1207 you are feeling the positive effects.
Enjoy!

Anne65 Wed 19-Aug-20 17:16:28

Am new here. Hope someone can help? I’m 54 nearly 55 and still getting periods. Had Mirena coil until 2017 when i had problems with it. Have been not too bad until February this year. Couple of heavy periods with clots and pain. This time have been bleeding/spotting for nearly three weeks. Not heavy but some clots. Bad headaches, tummy pains come and go, running to toilet loads and terrible back ache. Don’t know if this is normal or not? Please help!