Gransnet forums

Menopause

Oestrogen rich foods

(16 Posts)
Whiff Tue 26-Jan-21 18:37:09

I have recurring UTI's someone suggest low oestrogen levels. I see some foods are rich in them but don't know how much you would need to eat. Or is there a tablet I could take to boast my levels. Had a total hysterectomy when I was 38 and on HRT for 16 years and was taken off it. Now 62. Any help would be appreciated.

paddyanne Tue 26-Jan-21 18:58:17

ask to go back on HRT,the risks are much lower than the medics used to think they were and I know several women my age and older who have been told they can stay on it ofr life .Ask fora referral to a menopause clinic.The NHS is still open ,or at least thats what we're told in Scotland so call your GP and have a chat .Good luck with it,I'm 67 next month and I'm not coming off HRT anytime soon ,my sister is 72 and neither is she .

Whiff Tue 26-Jan-21 20:44:03

Paddyanne thank you. Don't really want to back on HRT. I have long standing health problems and don't want anything that will interfer with my medication.

NotAGran55 Tue 26-Jan-21 22:06:20

Have you tried Vagifem Whiff ?

Esspee Tue 26-Jan-21 23:00:25

I don’t understand why you say you do not want to go back onto oestrogen but you are asking for suggestions of oestrogen rich food. You ask about a pill which will boost your oestrogen levels. Well yes. It is referred to as HRT.

I would certainly not recommend anyone take it in pill form. That is outdated. Nowadays oestrogen is given as a gel which you rub on your thighs, a patch which you stick on your bottom or an implant which is inserted under your skin.

It will help prevent osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, sleep problems, osteoarthritis, depression and a wide range of other problems all related to menopause.

I’m 71 and I’m on it for life.

Whiff Wed 27-Jan-21 07:05:22

Esspee I ask an innocent question and from the tone of your first paragraph get attacked. Do you have any serious long standing health problems? I do and have since I was 29 plus a heart condition I was born with. HRT was fine when I was on it. But over the years since coming off it my health has declined.

I know full well the benefits of HRT and don't suffer from any of your last paragraph.

Think I will just stick to the threads I am usually on where no one talks down to eachother or acts as if they are idiots.

lemsip Wed 27-Jan-21 07:32:00

www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/how-to-increase-estrogen

Hetty58 Wed 27-Jan-21 07:45:42

Whiff, I believe that you're asking about natural phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) like those found in soya, flax seeds and berries.

As a vegan, I get through a lot of tofu, garlic, dried fruit etc. anyway, but I'm unsure how much would make a difference.

My friend swears by kefir (half a glassful daily) to prevent UTIs, though, and probiotics are available in tablet form.

mumofmadboys Wed 27-Jan-21 07:49:49

Vagifem vaginal pessaries may help.

Esspee Wed 27-Jan-21 09:10:11

Whiff. If HRT was fine while you were on it but has deteriorated since you came off it does that not tell you something?
For the record I have a lifetime heart condition (well it was discovered when I was 2 so presumably I was born with it)
No other conditions as, thanks to HRT my health is excellent. I shrugged off what I am sure was Covid over a few days back in the spring.
Not having a womb puts you in the enviable position of being able to use oestrogen only HRT.
This type, which is usually made from plants, reduces heart attack, does not increase the chances of stroke or clotting, and is very protective of breast cancer.

Sunnysideup Thu 28-Jan-21 11:49:29

Hi Whiff, you could try Evening Primrose Oil, but do check for any contraindications with your meds. I’m 71 and on an HRT patch but it doesn’t help with ALL the menopause symptoms (I still get night sweats ) and I don’t really want to increase it. I started taking EPO around three weeks ago and my sweats have gradually decreased and for the first time in about twelve years I didn’t have a sweat last night. Result!

BigBertha1 Thu 28-Jan-21 12:24:04

I remember we used to talk about 'menopause bread' when I was about that age which I think contains what hetty58 is talking about. I've more or less stayed on that kind of bread because we prefer it - not sure it did much except made me feel righteous. I loved being on HRT and have definitely aged since I came off it GP changed the one I had been on for years and I had a bleed so after a hysteroscopy I wasn't allowed it anymore.sad

hellome Mon 22-Feb-21 23:07:56

HI all hasayone found theyve put up weight using vagifem or other oestrogen stuff
thanks

Esspee Tue 23-Feb-21 07:57:58

I’ve been on oestrogen implants for 31 years now. They made no difference to my weight. It did give me much more energy and changed my life for the better.
My weight has risen lately but that is due to less exercise and eating more plus I do feel your metabolism changes as you get older.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 23-Feb-21 08:18:26

Hi Whiff I’ve had a look at the ‘phytoestrogens’ ( obviously not long enough to remember how to spell it properly) but I think that you might have to load up with stuff like prunes, garlic, seeds etc. So probably not a good diet if taken in quantities, although I can’t find how much of it would actually make a difference.
They all say though that you would need a blood test first to find out your Oestrogen level, maybe your surgery has a diet sheet available? Your local health shop, when opened, might also be able to help.
So far , fingers crossed, I haven’t had another UTI , but if I do I have to go in for a blood test to check my Oestrogen levels.

Missfoodlove Tue 23-Feb-21 08:24:18

Whiff After many UTI’s and repeated courses of antibiotics I saw an acupuncturist, she stimulated my spleen to fight infection and generally boosted everything.
I then started taking D Manoose tablets daily but upped the dose to 3 a day if I felt an infection coming on.
I’m now fine no more antibiotics!
I take 1 high dose D. Manoose a day and eat a healthy diet.