Gransnet forums

Menopause

Anxiety

(26 Posts)
HeatherGirl Sun 25-Apr-21 17:05:27

My anxiety levels have risen with the menopause and lockdowns. Has anyone had success with St Johns Wort or any other natural/herbal remedy?
Any advice would be so welcome.

Esspee Sun 25-Apr-21 17:49:13

Menopause issues are the result of low oestrogen levels. Replace that with HRT and all the immediate problems disappear. What is even more important is that things like osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, low libido, incontinence and all the horrid long term effects of menopause which nobody talks about are kept at bay too.
Oestrogen is natural, doing without it is not.

B9exchange Sun 25-Apr-21 17:49:56

There is a very good book, 'Self help for your nerves' by Claire Weekes available on Amazon, it helped me some years ago?

Aveline Sun 25-Apr-21 17:54:39

HRT isn't necessarily a panacea. Some women are absolutely fine without it and don't suffer all the ills related to menopause that some women do.
Anxiety can develop for lots of other reasons.

mumofmadboys Sun 25-Apr-21 18:08:19

'Oestrogen is natural, doing without it is not' That is rather ironic!!

Esspee Mon 26-Apr-21 08:54:01

Aveline that may be true for the initial, well publicised symptoms (hot flushes and the like) we are led to expect but the long term results of low oestrogen are the devastating ones. Your bones get incredibly fragile leading to fractures, vaginal and waterworks problems kick in, libido drops, osteo arthritis, sleep issues etc. all kick in at a later date and few women realise they have been caused by menopause.

Aveline Mon 26-Apr-21 09:01:38

Esspee I'm all for natural ageing rather than being pumped with artificial hormones. If it suits you that's fine but it's not for me and I'm absolutely fine too.
Anxiety is due to many other reasons than menopause.

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Apr-21 10:02:51

You need to talk to your GP Heather
Is there a reason why you don't want to?
I am on antidepressants for anxiety (I was diagnosed as having Generalised Anxiety Disorder in my late teens; I've had it as long as I can remember).
I hope that you get some relief soon

FannyCornforth Mon 26-Apr-21 10:05:22

And keep in mind that it is absolutely a natural way to feel in the current circumstances.

Esspee Tue 27-Apr-21 00:32:21

Aveline

Esspee I'm all for natural ageing rather than being pumped with artificial hormones. If it suits you that's fine but it's not for me and I'm absolutely fine too.
Anxiety is due to many other reasons than menopause.

Absolutely nothing artificial about Oestrogen, ALL women have it in abundance until around 50.

If diabetic you lack the hormone insulin so you replace it.
Thyroid problems you replace the hormone thyroxine.
Once you are menopausal you can replace the lacking hormone oestrogen. Why would you not want to do that?

Your body has simply run out of oestrogen. In the past we died after childbearing. Nowadays we can expect to live for 40 or more years with failing health due to the lack of oestrogen.

You don’t pump it, it comes in gel which you rub on your thigh daily, a patch like a corn plaster which you change twice a week, or (my choice) a tiny pellet which is placed under your skin twice a year.

My implant, which I have been getting now for over 30 years is made from yams, nothing artificial about that Aveline

The seriously bad effects of menopause show after about 20 years. Most people do not know the harm menopause does to a woman’s health.

Santana Tue 27-Apr-21 07:51:39

I would suggest a chat to your GP about anxiety before embarking on any natural remedies for menopause. Blood tests will show your hormone levels and you can make an informed choice on HRT.
My menopause was easy, with no hot flushes etc, and I put it down to the diet I was on to counteract symptoms. Soya milk and seeds.
However when I was diagnosed with oestrogen receptive breast cancer, I did wonder if I had done something wrong. This was daft of course as it was just my body doing its own to thing with oestrogen.
5 years of tamoxifen post B C took my oestrogen down to zero, so did get all the usual side effects of the menopause so understand how debilitating it can be.

sassyjanettwinkletoe Mon 10-May-21 12:26:16

Hello! I’ve found myself feeling the exact same! I have tried everything in the book at this point and had little to no help, I must remind you that everyone is different but here are a few tips and tricks that I’ve acquired over the years! Keeping active is key, daily walks have made me feel more at ease, I also partake in the local yoga club down the road which has done wonders! My last tip is my most recommended, I take my weekly bath and add mint leaves, a pinch of turmeric, a teaspoon of whole milk (has to be whole!) and some soap! Sounds odd but has been passed down my family, many thanks- Janet.

markrob7484 Sun 17-Apr-22 20:26:09

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chewbacca Sun 17-Apr-22 20:28:37

Reported #7

JohanaHuber12 Fri 24-Jun-22 07:59:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-22 08:50:25

Esspee I ma 78 and stil waiting for all the long time effects of the menopause you mention.

I know many people do have short and long term effects of the menopause, but many people like me do not. These effects are not inevitable.

What is the source of your claim that in the past women died once past child bearing age. I always understood that it was child bearing that killed women and if they survived that they could live into a prolonged old age.

Lorena34 Fri 24-Jun-22 10:02:57

Hey HeatherGirl,

I sympathise with you. I’m also suffering from anxiety and frankly it has been quite stressful to deal with.

I’ve never been a fan of medical drugs or surgery treatments as they can be invasive or introduce a huge shock to our bodies.

So I sought some alternative remedies, ending up settling for traditional Chinese medicine. Using traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture I was able to overcome my anxiety issues.

If you’re in London give GinSen clinics a try. They’re where I go for acupuncture. They give free consultations and advice so maybe they can help you.

eazybee Fri 24-Jun-22 10:08:23

MOnica, your post beat mine. I am seventy six and experienced none of the above short/long term effects that Esspee keeps reiterating. Neither did my mother nor many of my friends. Some people do, many don't.

I think this widespread campaign about the menopause is the cause of much of the present anxiety.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-22 15:22:57

Back in my 40s I heard an item on the radio, Woman's Hour, I think.

It was about a community in India, where women were made to go into seclusion when their periods started and when they reached the menopause they were freed to go out on their own and be free again. The incidence of side effects from the menopause was exceptionally low in this community because women had so much to gain from it.

I noted well - and since I was really looking forward to being period free. I have never put much store by these marks of being female that so many people dwell on: periods, marriage, having babies, motherhood menopause etc..

Esspee Sat 02-Jul-22 20:05:19

M0nica

Esspee I ma 78 and stil waiting for all the long time effects of the menopause you mention.

I know many people do have short and long term effects of the menopause, but many people like me do not. These effects are not inevitable.

What is the source of your claim that in the past women died once past child bearing age. I always understood that it was child bearing that killed women and if they survived that they could live into a prolonged old age.

Monica. Human longevity is a fascinating topic. In the Palaeolithic the average lifespan was in the region of 20-30 years. By the 1600s the average lifespan for a woman was about 37 years, by the 1800s 40 years, 1900 48years.

There is an excellent paper “A brief history of human longevity” which you can Google. Some of the figures there are for the aristocracy so for the hoi polloi we can assume considerably shorter lives.

As for individuals not showing menopausal problems the simplest way to look at it is to compare it with smoking. If you are a smoker your chances of getting lung cancer and COPD are very much higher than if you have never smoked. Some people smoke all their lives and never contract these diseases. That doesn’t negate the fact that smoking causes lung problems.

You know “many people who do have short and long term effects of the menopause.”
Exactly.
You say you have and are not suffering any of the negative effects of the menopause which is wonderful.
Like smoking it is not inevitable that every woman will suffer.

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 19:11:09

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Dec-22 19:15:52

And yet I’ve never had any of those horrid symptoms Espee.
And I’ve not needed HRT.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Dec-22 19:21:44

Ah.
Just realised this is an historic post that’s been jumped on to advertise.
I’ve reported the post before mine.

halfpint1 Sat 24-Dec-22 19:28:00

Esspee as I understand it these lifespan figures were worked
out by including the deaths in childhood, of which there were
many and frequent, thus lowering the overall age. People
did live a longer life than the ones spouted and better sanitary habits more than modern medicine contributed. Menopause
certainly did not shorten women's life.

Hetty58 Sat 24-Dec-22 19:30:35

Esspee, the menopause is entirely natural - and, for some of us, relatively trouble free. It's not like some severe vitamin deficiency, where something lacking has to be replaced. It's not a medical problem - just a natural process.

HeatherGirl, I agree with those above who've said 'Speak to your GP' as anxiety can be a medical problem. A student of mine was on antidepressants. Talking therapies hadn't helped. She'd been so very scared, felt low and hopeless.

The tablets made a marvellous difference. She had all the same problems - but felt happy and was a different person. I thought, at the time, that if I ever felt that awful, I'd ask for the tablets too - why not?