Gransnet forums

Menopause

hello

(6 Posts)
sallypoo Mon 21-Jun-21 15:24:40

hi
So I'm new on here... been on Mumsnet for years, but only heard of Gransnet today when looking up info on Utrogestan and finding a post on Mumsnet.

I've seen a lot of questions in threads on here about being new, so thought I'd say hi...

I'm in my late 40s and have been perimenopausal since 43. I'd only been offered antidepressants, but having found DrMenopauseCare on instagram I realised I didn't need to carry on without something help....

So I started on Oestrogel & Utrogestan in mid-May... and feel pretty good so far.

Thats me :-)

vampirequeen Tue 22-Jun-21 07:54:59

Hi. Sounds like you've got it sussed. Menopause is the pits.

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Jun-21 09:41:18

Hello Sally
I'm 49 and post menopausal as I haven't had a period since December 2019.
I sailed through that but am now having horrible hot flushes. Around one every hour and throughout the night.
I'm going to ask my GP about HRT as I'm already sick of it, and have learnt on here that it can go on for years, if not decades.
Welcome to Gransnet, it's very different to Mumsnet, in a good way! smile

Sunnysideup Mon 28-Jun-21 18:43:37

So pleased you feel good Sallypoo. Fannycornforth, yes, you are correct in saying that for SOME People it can go on ad infinitude. I am one of those people who after suffering for 12 years with every menopausal symptoms known to man, my quality of life was zero, and no sign of it letting up. When I asked my GP when it was likely to improve she said for some it never does. So at age 64 I went on HRT. Although it is not the answer to everything, my quality of life is much improved. I’m now 71 and shall remain on HRT for the rest of my life knowing that it will protect my heart and bones.

PinkCakes Mon 28-Jun-21 21:11:59

My periods finally stopped at the age of 59 1/2! I'd had about 6 years of flooding, periods that lasted 3 weeks, lots of uterine biopsies, scans, blood tests, hormone tablets to try to control the heavy periods.

I'm 62 now, get the occasional hot flush, the odd night sweat, but I'm not on any tablets.

MissChateline Mon 28-Jun-21 21:16:50

I guess that I was unbelievably lucky. I didn't realise that I had gone through the menopause until it occurred to me that I hadn't had a period for 6 months. A trip to the doctor and blood test confirmed this. I was 42. No symptoms at all until 11 years later I started a relationship with my now wife who was having a horrendous time of it and my body came out in sympathy and I had my first and last hot flush!