Gransnet forums

Menopause

breast cancer and mammograms

(13 Posts)
Notright Mon 12-Jul-21 15:38:21

Does anyone remember the continuing promotion and urgency of having a mammogram. If you've got a concern don't wait, get a mammogram to put your mind at ease. Well it seems it doesn't matter anymore. I am worried about one of my breasts so I phoned my surgery to ask where the nearest clinic was. She said she didn't know! Not I'll find our for you. She said try the hospital. I phoned Ashford hospital breast clinic and she said I had to have a referral from my doctor. Phoned doctor's again and receptionist said she'll get a doctor to phone me - 2 days later she phoned, asked me lots of questions and said I'll get another doctor to phone you for an appointment. 2 days later she did and gave me one to see her next week. Meanwhile the time it does pass. Hopefully she gives me a referral and when they get it they will contact me with an appointment. Probably not for a week or two. Again time passes. I'll see the doctor next week and keep everyone informed. Sorry this is such a preamble but that's exactly how it is so far and I don't think the situation is exactly putting my mind at ease. I shall ask them about this when I get to have the test. Karen

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Jul-21 15:44:52

Very best of luck, but quite honestly I would not leave it too long. If it is cancer the sooner it is dealt with the better. I was told that as my cancer was apparently early stage, so I had to wait 6/weeks to see a consultant. I wasn’t prepared to chance it so paid to see a consultant within a couple of days.

That was 18 years ago. The sooner it is dealt with the better.

MerylStreep Mon 12-Jul-21 15:53:32

I come under South East Essex trust.
Because I’m of an age where I won’t be automatically called I have the option to make an appointment myself. I did this a few weeks ago and was seen within 2 weeks.

Redhead56 Mon 12-Jul-21 17:09:10

I hope it is ok and you are seen as soon as possible ?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 12-Jul-21 20:03:52

We have a 2 week wait for anything Cancer related, I was seen at the hospital within 10 days and had mammograms and ultrasound then waited and went back into the Consultant all on the same morning.

GagaJo Mon 12-Jul-21 20:21:09

I have a family history of the BRCA1 gene. My DD also has it AND has had the gene sequenced so they know exactly where the error is.

At the beginning of the year, she found a lump. It took almost 3 months from first contacting the doctors to be seen at the hospital (all sorts of delaying tactics). It took me 10 days to be seen when I found my cancerous lump 11 years ago.

Fortunately, it was nothing dangerous for her. But she has an 80% chance of getting breast cancer. And I fear for her, with the way the NHS is going.

Mattsmum2 Mon 12-Jul-21 21:39:23

I’m so sorry to hear of your experience. I can only go by my own. I thought I felt a lump. Left it a few days and felt it again, called my GP surgery asking for an appointment. Explained what I had found to the receptionist. She arranged for a call from a GP the following morning. The GP called, asked me to attend in person that afternoon. She referred me to the breast clinic and said it would be within 5 weeks. I got this, they did two mammograms and an ultrasound and I had an immediate appointment with the consultant. Thankfully all was clear. But I am so grateful to the care I had to put my mind at rest. I think you have to be persistent. It’s a pity some care is better than others. Best if luck xx

NotSpaghetti Mon 12-Jul-21 22:03:04

This is very poor. I'm so sorry.

My daughter found a lump, called her surgery one day just before Christmas and had an appointment at the hospital in just a few days. Everything was over in less than two weeks. She is thankfully OK.
She is in London.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 12-Jul-21 22:11:14

I am within the Oxford University Hospital Trust and since the age of 50 have been called for a mammogram every 3 years. Back in May 2017 I had a mammogram and was called back for a biopsy as they had detected a small lump. Before the end of June I had been operated on and had a stage one tumour removed. I could not fault my care. Commiseration to all those going through this at the moment.

Newquay Mon 12-Jul-21 23:12:32

I found something suspicious just before Christmas (am aged 71). Rang surgery, had phone appointment-described problem, received hospital appointment within a couple of weeks, had scan-all ok. Phew! I am SO sorry to hear of delays. You should be seen within two weeks and need to insist on it-easier said than done I realise.

GagaJo Mon 12-Jul-21 23:54:52

Just wasn't possible Newquay. The covid effect. In the end, I had to phone the breast clinic, because I know some of the staff there (from my own treatment). They brought DD's appointment forward by 4 weeks, otherwise it would have been FOUR months wait, not three.

The secretary I spoke to admitted the wait was 12 plus weeks once the referral had been received. And given the problems DD had GETTING the referral... I am sure a lot of women are not being seen at all.

Newquay Wed 14-Jul-21 12:24:33

Just not good enough is it? We all know folks whose cancer has been caught just in time and, sadly, the opposite too

PaperMonster Wed 28-Jul-21 21:43:12

My friend found a lump earlier this year and within a month had had it removed and is receiving ongoing cancer treatment.