Gransnet forums

Menopause

What is normal in your knickers after menopause?

(15 Posts)
Pollyj Sun 01-Aug-21 12:15:38

I posted this in health, then realised it might be more pertinent here. Apologise in advance for any tmi.

Hi, ladies. I suffer from anxiety so panic over anything vaguely health related, so wondering, what is normal to find in your pants after menopause?

I know we still have a ‘cleaning system’ and I know there shouldn’t be blood showing, but what is normal otherwise? I’ve woken today to find a stripe of something in my knickers. Not brown or red, mostly clear/yellow when held to the light. Is it pee leakage? Normal secretion that everyone gets, or have I got bladder cancer or something?

just wondered what is normal/expected at this age. My anxiety is in overdrive. Sorry again for tmi.

MayBee70 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:19:03

I had something similar a few years ago. Had all sorts of tests done but it turned out to be vaginal atrophy. I used Replens for a while and that sorted it. I was also needing to wee a lot: that was something that had got worse over a period of time. That improved after using the Replens, too. Still might be an idea to see a doctor.

MayBee70 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:21:02

By the way, I was worried sick over having all the tests which dragged on for months especially as my doctor hadn’t mentioned the fact that it could possibly be atrophy!

25Avalon Sun 01-Aug-21 12:40:32

Same here Maybe70 but it’s difficult to find much on this subject. Vaginal atrophy isn’t just dryness as you can get secretions to compensate for that.

I didn’t go for all the tests as I found the internal exam from the dr to be too painful and she had cleared that it wasn’t bacterial and the cervix was good. I’ve found Yes cream to be very good and I make sure I don’t get dehydrated in hot weather as I am sure that is what caused the secretions as the vagina tried to protect itself.

Pollyj Sun 01-Aug-21 12:52:32

Thanks so far. I hadn't heard of that, but could be, I guess. Sigh. Who'd be a woman?

MayBee70 Sun 01-Aug-21 15:16:30

You will get further discharge for a while after using Replens if it is atrophy but that is quite normal.

BlueBelle Sun 01-Aug-21 16:16:29

I hope this one doesn’t find its way into the Daily Mail

Dee567 Sun 19-Sep-21 15:34:52

Hi first time posting on here just wondered if anyone can help l am suffering with depression due to menopause taking citalopram for this as l couldnt stand morbid thoughts improving slowly .lm 4 yrs postmenopause at 62 .This depression came out the blue 10 weeks ago along with return of most symptoms of menopause following smear test previous week which was fine by the way just wondering has anyone had similar experience feel like lm going mad.

lemsip Sun 19-Sep-21 15:37:50

oh how gross!

Esspee Sun 19-Sep-21 16:11:04

Dee567. You need to start your own thread on this

Esspee Sun 19-Sep-21 16:16:24

Pollyj If it is vaginal atrophy caused by lack of oestrogen why not replace the missing oestrogen by starting HRT. It won’t only reverse the vaginal atrophy, it will also help prevent incontinence, prolapse and osteoporosis amongst other things.

ExDancer Sun 19-Sep-21 16:16:45

How old/young are you lemsip?

Shelbel Sun 19-Sep-21 16:30:46

I still have occasional pink staining to it. Assume it's blood. I've had a gyne check up and smeat so I know there's
Nothing amiss. Gyne doc took me off Hormone replacement due to constant bleedi g. I suppose its the hormones etc.

Things are certainly different after menopause and I can't say I like it.

ExDancer Mon 20-Sep-21 08:39:10

Can you start hrt in your 80s?

kittylester Mon 20-Sep-21 09:33:27

BlueBelle

I hope this one doesn’t find its way into the Daily Mail

Why this thread particularly?