Gransnet forums

Menopause

Hair loss

(5 Posts)
Positivepants Tue 17-May-22 15:49:25

Hi I just wondered how everyone copes with hair thinning/loss ? I’m on estriogel and have the mirena coil. For the last 1-2 years I have really noticed my hair thinning and now I’ve lost quite a lot. I’ve had my bloods checked at the GPs all normal. No suggestions from them how to help. I’ve looked at various shampoos and serums but the reviews and results are mixed. It is beginning to get me down. Anyone found anything that helps?

sharon103 Thu 26-May-22 15:33:35

I'm 68 this year and I can see m y hair is thinner at the front.
You can buy thickening shampoo but it's pretty good but I've found that it tends to dry the hair out if used for a long time.
I buy W7 COVER UP ROOT CAMOUFLAGE KIT. it's a powder with a brush that you brush onto the roots and scalp. It's brilliant. Don't buy a liquid form as it's messy. Powder is the best.
they sell it in Blonde, medium brown, dark brown and black Google : mixmatchmakeup Go onto categories then hair then root touch up. £4.49 plus postage.
You can also buy it on Ebay but not always got the colour you want.
Other than that I can't suggest anything else.
It's usually age related or menopause.

Esspee Thu 26-May-22 17:56:10

Having asked around I have come to the conclusion that thinning hair is an age thing, not a menopause thing, as those complaining of thinning are pre menopause, in full menopause and refusing to have a menopause in equal measure.
I just wish someone would come up with a solution.

GagaJo Thu 26-May-22 18:00:17

I agree Esspee, mine started thinning at around 30. Female pattern baldness. My mum had it and my daughter's started to thin in her early 20s.

Has anyone tried the very large doses of vit D for this? It's fixed post covid hair loss for a colleague, and also for a friend who lost a lot due to having part of her bowel removed (resulting in dietry issues).

Baggs Thu 26-May-22 18:12:48

Bring back bonnets and mob caps ?