Gransnet forums

Menopause

Weight gain

(39 Posts)
Nanna29 Fri 12-Aug-22 14:45:28

How is everyone finding weight gain during menopause ive put on loads of weight and I cant shift it. Im very active but also get tired really easily. When I see people I havent seen in a while they are saying to me god u are fat now. I feel so depressed about it im on a diet but nothing is happening have been on it for months now im also bloated

growstuff Sun 14-Aug-22 15:33:47

dragonfly46

Interesting - I take tablets to totally reduce my oestrogen but have not gained weight.

I'm about to start medication to block oestrogen, as part of my cancer treatment, so I'm interested too.

I've never been overweight and my weight has never fluctuated significantly, despite having T2 diabetes since my mid 30s.

I've kept a close eye on my weight for 30 years and do something (eat less) whenever I've gained a kilo. I'm quite nervous about the effect hormone therapy might have on my weight and glucose levels.

M0nica Sun 14-Aug-22 20:47:12

AreWeThereYet I googled Dr Ann Parham and discovered that she is recommending intermittent fasting, which was what finally worked for me.

The pieces of the jigsaw are fitting together.

Nanna29 Mon 15-Aug-22 14:05:48

I also have the problem that I can only eat what I can afford. my work is also really physical think sweat pouring off you and walking miles every day. Im refusing cake and biscuits and upping my veg intake and I have bought a diet protein shake from holland and barret. Im going to check out the links people have shared ive also went from 5 6 to 5 4 my family are really supportive so thats great and ive just started hrt so I.ll see what happens. I work from 9.30 till 10 pm most days so sometimes I have to eat later thanks everyone

AreWeThereYet Mon 15-Aug-22 14:34:08

M0nica Glad it was helpful - I can't watch too much of her, she's a bit too strident for me grin but sometimes explains things well. I do IF as well - 16 hours fast and 8 hour eating window when I eat almost anything I like except anything with sugar.

There are two other YouTubers I watch who are excellent in explaining weightloss, diabetes, fatty liver and varies other problems - Dr Sten Ekberg and Dr Eric Berg. Neither are medical doctors, by the way. As far as I know medical doctors aren't taught nutrition other than government guidelines.

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 14:42:20

Thank you AreWeThereYet

Midlifemiss57 Mon 05-Sep-22 14:49:59

Hi Nana I totally agree oestrogen is vitally 8mportant but if you still have a uterus you have to take progesterone along side it....Aly

dolphindaisy Mon 05-Sep-22 16:56:43

Having struggled with my weight all my adult life I refused to take HRT as one of the side effects was weight gain (might be different now) I also have hypothyroidism and even though I take Thyroxine every day I still find it VERY difficult to lose weight even on a very low calorie diet. I would suggest getting your thyroid checked in the first instance.

oldwoman69 Wed 23-Nov-22 09:59:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Poppyred Wed 23-Nov-22 10:28:16

Esspee

Weight gain is caused by eating more calories than you expend. If you start eating fewer calories than you expend you will loose weight. It is very simple.
Incidentally I say this as a size 10 who is now a size 16. I simply lack the willpower but at least I don't blame menopause.

This is the simple truth!

Most women need a lot less calories as they get older. Anything over 800 calories and I put weight on! Took me a long time to process that.

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 19:09:53

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Joolsp Wed 01-Mar-23 10:38:23

I agree that to lose weight you need a large calorie deficit but there is lots of evidence to suggest that the menopause can cause weight gain due to hormones. However, we have to be mindful of what we eat and drink as we get older and it’s not impossible to lose weight if we try hard enough.

Camilla7 Tue 01-Aug-23 00:11:03

I gave up processed sugar back in December as it was keeping me awake at night and giving me numb hands in my sleep. I believed that menopause meant I wouldn't be able to lose weight (especially as I'd put on so much during lockdown). But the upshot is that I don't have sugar cravings anymore which you get with glucose spikes and dips. Plus I've lost about a stone since in that time without dieting which I simply don't believe in. I have berries and yogurt for breakfast and if I do need to eat something sugary (eg birthday cake) I follow The Glucose Goddess advice and have a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water which lowers the glucose spike.

Spuddy Fri 11-Aug-23 09:00:20

Another rotten thing with the menopause...or monsterpause as I call it!

I'm registered physically disabled with crippling Rheumatoid arthritis and a permanently damaged bad back, I can't exercise at all so the weight is piling on and I hate it! I'm only 5'1 and about 17 stone and I can't shift it at all no matter what boring diets I do or how much I don't eat for days at a time!

I wish I could lose the weight as easily as I lose my mind!