Gransnet forums

Menopause

61… have the Evorel Conti patches but scared to start

(36 Posts)
CBT61 Sat 03-Sep-22 13:52:10

I have been lucky enough to be prescribed these patches through an NHS menopause clinic but having read the leaflet in the box I’m scared to take them! I have varicose veins ( not awful ones but they have definitely got worse in the last year) and that makes me worry about blood clots. Can anyone reassure me?

Amete Sat 03-Sep-22 14:57:07

Hello
Firstly, I use these patches without any problems and they are marvellous at relieving uncomfortable symptoms such as hot flushes.
I can't imaging you would have been prescribed them if the doctor thought you were at risk if you took them. However, to get peace of mind, why not check with your GP for reassurance?
Good luck! smile

CBT61 Sat 03-Sep-22 16:03:15

Thanks Amete.
I have sent the GP an email… getting appointments is very challenging!

Elizabeth27 Sat 03-Sep-22 16:26:17

I used them and have varicose veins, my doctor was aware of this and it was fine for me.

I would go and see a pharmacist, they know more about medication and side effects than a GP would.

CBT61 Sat 03-Sep-22 17:59:18

Thanks… I think that being over 60 was my first concern and then I’m not sure whether I mentioned veins to the clinic!
I hope the GP answers soon as I have health anxiety ( well, everything anxiety really!) and I was hoping HRT would calm me down!

GrandmaKT Sat 03-Sep-22 18:15:34

Gosh, are you going through the menopause now? I am 63 but went through it 13 years ago. Guess we're all different...

LtEve Sat 03-Sep-22 18:49:02

There is a much, much lower risk of blood clots with patches than tablets. I've got a phone appointment booked with the GP on Monday to request a change from tablets to patches for this reason. I'm planning on staying on HRT for life to minimise my risk of heart disease and osteoporosis.

PetitFromage Sat 03-Sep-22 18:53:16

I recommend laser treatment for varicose veins, a minor miracle!

CBT61 Sun 04-Sep-22 19:17:55

Last period aged 59. Hot flushes increasing. I’m basically miserable.
PetitFromage- where did you go for laser treatment?

Midlifemiss57 Mon 05-Sep-22 14:45:00

Hi im 60 and evorel conti are really good.
I wish I was still on them I had a marina coil fitted last week and I have to use a evorel 25 patch I'm feeling crap at min hope I feel better soon. ALY

JASS Mon 05-Sep-22 16:14:03

Over the last year I have learned a lot about HRT and recently decided to begin it at the age of 64, one month ago. I did this purely to protect my future health and not because I was still suffering any bad menopausal symptoms. My doctor, over the phone, barely queried my request and prescribed me Evorel Conti patches.
I'm still not sure if I have done the right thing; can anyone advise please?

LtEve Mon 05-Sep-22 19:11:40

I spoke to my GP today and changed to patches. She told me that with HRT delivered through the skin your risk of blood clots is the same as it would have been if you had never taken HRT. I'm very happy with that risk as there is nothing I can do to change it.

polin Mon 12-Sep-22 09:12:48

Yes same here just got my first pathes last week, im 69 not sure if I should go down this route!! haven't used them yet due to reading about fibroids ,which I have had ,and still might have ?who knows waiting for doc to get intouch

Silvergirl Mon 12-Sep-22 10:48:05

Interesting thread. My mum died young of a heart attack so I decided when I started meno at 50 that I would never go on hrt. Hot flushes/sweats and joint pain was bad but I coped by going part time at work etc. However, by the time I reached 60 and was still getting symptoms, I was referred to a meno clinic with a view to trying hrt. The consultant advised me not too, as she felt I had missed the ‘time slot’. She would have gladly prescribed it to me at 50 but by now I probably had ‘plaques’ which could be dislodged and cause clots. I reluctantly decided not to proceed but I often wonder if my quality of life, especially my joints, would be much better if on hrt.
Good Luck with your treatment CBT61.

VenusDeVillendorf Tue 20-Sep-22 13:34:06

You know you could get a cardiologist appointment and an ultrasound to see if you have arterial plaques @silvergirl.
I think you’ve been given the brush off.
Make an appointment with your gp and try again, especially for the protective effects of hrt on cardiovascular disease.

Silvergirl Tue 20-Sep-22 14:02:52

Thank you. I think I will do that as my joints are starting to restrict my lifestyle. I did not know there was any way to check for plaques.

Esspee Tue 20-Sep-22 14:10:32

Silvergirl oestrogen protects the heart. What a pity you were not aware of this.
JASS by taking oestrogen you not only protect yourself from the annoying early effects of menopause such as hot flushes but much more importantly it protects you from the extremely debilitating long term effects of oestrogen deprivation. Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, prolapse, incontinence, vaginal atrophy, Alzheimers, loss of libido.....and many more conditions which can ruin the latter third of your life. Count yourself lucky you have been prescribed oestrogen. It can change your life.

Nanna58 Tue 20-Sep-22 14:52:47

Been on them for ages , they have revolutionised my life, and no side effects either

LtEve Tue 20-Sep-22 15:04:48

I've just moved from the tablets to patches and micronised progesterone plus vaginal oestrogen. I'm feeling so much better and am looking forward to being on it for many years to come. The vaginal oestrogen has already reduced my leakage when coughing/sneezing and the soreness/itching and I'm hoping will reduce my likelihood of developing UTI's in the future.

Silvergirl Tue 20-Sep-22 16:09:38

I am confused. On one hand I sometimes read HRT/oestrogen can cause clots and on the other hand I read it is good for your heart. My mother’s early heart attack was a coronary thrombosis which I believe is a caused by a clot. Any advice would be appreciated.

LtEve Tue 20-Sep-22 16:19:43

I've looked at the NICE guidelines for prescribing HRT and this says that transdermal HRT i.e patches, gels or spray does not increase your risk of clots beyond that of the baseline population risk. www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations#long-term-benefits-and-risks-of-hormone-replacement-therapy. The section the risks are explained is in 1.5

Alioop Tue 20-Sep-22 18:28:37

I've been in them for a year and a half now, I'm 56. I had suffered with symptoms from my late 40s, the hot flushes made me go blood red, everyone knew I was having one and it was embarrassing. The night sweats were really horrible and I lost a lot of sleep, plus joint pain was hateful.
My male doctor told me to ride the menopause out...so I made an appointment with the practice nurse. She explained it all to me, printed out everything I needed to know about Evorel conti patches so I decided to try them even though I have varicose veins too.
The sweats have stopped and no more flushes. The patches are better than the tablets are for you liver too. My friend had to stop her tablets and go on the patches because her liver count went up so high, though not necessarily because of her tablets, they were just being cautious.
My yearly check is due in a couple of weeks, it helps settle your mind that they are keeping an eye on you too. Good luck.

Alypoole Tue 20-Sep-22 18:41:21

I'm almost 70 and would love to go on HRT again. There is heart disease in the family and I believe it could prevent an attack in the future. After an ECG last week the nurse was really concerned that my pulse was so slow at 47. It could account for my recent fatigue and shakiness however the doctor was not at all concerned and felt no further readings were necessary.

polin Wed 21-Sep-22 18:20:55

Alypoole ,wont your doctor put u back on the patches, is it your age ,I have just been given the patches I'm 69

Fleur20 Wed 21-Sep-22 19:57:59

I have never had any HRT... just struggled on... the list of complaints is endless... I just feel I am falling apart....at 65 I am trying to find the courage to make a gp appointment.... what sort of reception did you get Polin when you saw the gp?