Gransnet forums

Menopause

Peri depression, anxiety and HRT fears

(8 Posts)
Hopeful51 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:33:59

Hello all. I’m 46 and definitely been perimenopausal for a while with heavy irregular periods. In August I went off work with major burnout, panic and anxiety. Tried HRT Estradot 50mcg for a month but had to stop as it made me feel incredibly agitated and wired each time I put on a new patch, literally like I was on drugs.

Thought I would just try to manage on my own until this past month. On day 21 of my cycle I began a week of the bleakest mood I could possibly imagine. Never felt anything like it: just sheer dread and horror from the moment I woke up. Could barely eat, get dressed or do things for my family. I genuinely thought my life was over.

Then I got my period on day 28 and although I still feel anxious and fatigued, the bleakness has magically lifted. It’s clear that these massive mood swings are hormonal. I have a box of sertraline from my GP (I phoned them in tears last week) but it seems like HRT probably is/was what’s needed.

Am terrified of going back on it and feeling so wired again. Going to start with half a patch. Have any of you experienced similar massive mood swings? What got you through? Any good results on low dose HRT? Thank you so much for any reassurance or words of wisdom xxx

Squiffy Fri 09-Dec-22 09:20:39

Just ‘bumping’ this in case anyone can offer any helpful words!

Sunnysideup Sat 10-Dec-22 15:43:17

You may be best advised to go on to the Menopause Matters website and pose your question on the Forum. There is a lot of helpful information on there and some very knowledgeable ladies who may be able to help. Good luck.

Mattsmum2 Sat 10-Dec-22 17:35:23

Oh my goodness that must be so awful for you, but you seem to know what may help. Maybe try a different type of HRT. I was on patches but now I’m on oestrogen gel and a progesterone tablet. Agreed menopause matters site is very good. Best of luck x

ajong Sat 24-Dec-22 19:10:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

PoppyFlower Mon 09-Jan-23 16:39:08

Hi there, just read your thread. The same thing that happened to me in November 21, aged 47. After applying my second patch (Evorel 50), 3 days in I get the wired agitation, like I was on drugs, like you. I rip the patch off and then few hours later, whilst walking around local supermarket, everywhere goes black, feeling of doom, like I was about to die. Horrible. I told my gp, who said I was maybe sensitive to the estrogen or too high a dose and id had a withdrawal reaction. The thing is, I havent felt stable since. 2022 was very up and down, ad's that I've been on since 2018 not so effective and various physical stuff going on.
So now, having just had Covid at Christmas for the first time, my period is very very absent but I feel like I'm into a prolonged and heightened pmt!!!
Re HRT, may speak to gp at some point or a local Menopause, but that would cost quite a bit.

PoppyFlower Mon 20-Feb-23 13:00:07

Hi Hopeful51 - was wondering how you are getting on now? smile

PoppyFlower Mon 20-Feb-23 14:59:29

Bump...