Gransnet forums

News & politics

'The thug in police uniform'. (Daily Mail today)

(183 Posts)
Greatnan Fri 20-Jul-12 07:40:06

It is not often I find myself agreeing with the DM, but today they detail the shocking 'career' of PC Simon Harwood who was cleared of causing the death of Ian Tomlinson. The jury were not allowed to hear about the ten complaints against Harwood, who was allowed to leave one force on 'medical grounds' (such as?) before a disciplinary hearing could be held. He was then allowed to join another force and the senior police officer in charge yesterday admitted that their vetting procedure had not been adequate.
The charges against him include punching and racially abusing a 14-year old girl, abuse of authority and using unnecessary force. He admitted going into 'red mist mode'.
Ian Tomlinson's family now plan to sue him in civil court where the burden of proof is less and the judge will know Harwood's record.

Nonu Fri 20-Jul-12 12:14:30

Come on girls "nail your colours to the mast"

crimson Fri 20-Jul-12 12:37:50

I feel it's a case of the police force 'looking after their own' when, in fact they should be looking after us. Disgraceful.

ameliaanne Fri 20-Jul-12 12:46:42

Greatnan and Nonu, are you saying that if someone has a different opinion from the majority on here, they shouldn't be posting? It does seem like that. My remark about the media coverage on the family was indeed nothing to do with the trial and I should have posted it separately.

Nonu Fri 20-Jul-12 12:52:19

Not at all , anyone can post , however , you haven"t answered question about whether you are a new postergrin

ameliaanne Fri 20-Jul-12 12:53:50

Does that make a difference?

absentgrana Fri 20-Jul-12 12:59:44

Oh for heaven's sake. It's not the least bit important when someone joined Gransnet and, of course, any member may post on any subject with any opinion at a time of their choosing. I don't think anyone is suggesting that an opinion differing from what seems to be a consensus shouldn't be expressed. I should be horrified if they were. For all that, I still think your view is mistaken ameliaanne.

Nonu Fri 20-Jul-12 13:08:19

Whats with the coyness Amelianne ?

ameliaanne Fri 20-Jul-12 13:12:35

No coyness Nonu. It's irrelevant whether it's a first post or a hundredth.

jeni Fri 20-Jul-12 13:18:18

Ladies!

vampirequeen Fri 20-Jul-12 13:18:24

Apparently the victim appeared to be being awkward and looked at him. When did it become a capital offence or indeed any offence to look at someone or appear to be being awkward.

I doubt the 'red mist' would be a reasonable excuse if I beat someone to death because I thought he was being awkward and looked at me.

jeni Fri 20-Jul-12 13:22:01

Oh I don't know? Now if it was the git next door!

yogagran Fri 20-Jul-12 13:32:29

That's not a very nice welcome for ameliaanne or AnneMaria, just because they have a different opinion to some doesn't justify the comments they have been getting. Sorry - but I feel that I have to stand up for them, they are just as welcome on here as any of us

Nonu Fri 20-Jul-12 13:37:01

Nobody is saying they are welcome , in fact if they are new posters it may nice to say so , so that people may welcome them

Anagram Fri 20-Jul-12 13:39:42

To be fair, a lot of new members just start off with the odd post or two, then gradually get more confident. I certainly don't see why they should announce that they are new if they don't wish to.

Nonu Fri 20-Jul-12 13:40:10

Oh dear ,first sentence wrong , obviously meant to say "Nobody is saying they are NOT welcome . doh

AlisonMA Fri 20-Jul-12 13:55:51

Of course they are welcome but what everyone is not saying is are they on here because they have an axe to grind regarding this case. If not, why are they not forthcoming about when they joined.

This is far from the first time the police seem to have got away with things that others would not have. I remember many years ago a pregnant girl (Gail Kinchin) standing at the top of the stairs and shot dead by the police who were after her criminal partner. Or there was the time they shot a young boy lying asleep in bed when they were looking for his father. In neither case was any firearm found. There seems to me to be a different rule for them than for the rest of us.

glammanana Fri 20-Jul-12 14:07:20

After reading this article to-day I just can't understand how this person was allowed to join a section of the Police Force with out being throughly vetted and checked for goodness sake, you can understand if he made a one off error of judgement in his career but he seems to have used his powers to the limit and is just an out and out bully thinking that his position will always get him out of trouble.

pammygran Fri 20-Jul-12 14:07:38

Sorry Greatnan, I agree with Am-an & A-m...there is controversy in many cases..I agree with the remark re the relatives..the man apparantly had been kicked out of home years before...do I sense woodwork & compensation here?, also not sure if I like the dig re first time comments & newbies...not all of us are Guardian readers..

Greatnan Fri 20-Jul-12 15:04:03

What on earth has reading the Guardian got to do with anything?
I didn't say AA and AM were not welcome - I just commented on what a coincidence it was that they both appeared to make their first post and agree with each other.
As for commenting on the Tomlinson's family relationships, again, what the heck has that got to do with whether or not he should have been unlawfully killed. I think the family want justice and a civil court might give it to them.

janeainsworth Fri 20-Jul-12 15:31:01

I realise this will not be a popular comment, but does the fact that Amelianne and Annemaria have not posted before somehow disqualify them from expressing their views?

soop Fri 20-Jul-12 15:33:56

angry beyond measure.

Greatnan Fri 20-Jul-12 15:34:07

No, they can express their views. I repeat, I merely commented on the coincidence of their happening to post within minutes of each other.

Ella46 Fri 20-Jul-12 15:42:34

AmeliaAnne

"I think that until any of us have done the job we cannot totally understand."

I have done the job, and I don't understand. The video clip clearly shows an unprovoked push.

jeni Fri 20-Jul-12 15:56:38

I agree! You didn't make them wellcome.

Wellcome to both of you. We are nice on here honestly, but some times tempers can get frayed!
A bit like ral life actually!

Grannybug Fri 20-Jul-12 16:06:34

Any right thinking person in or out of the police force surely could not condone hitting out at a man from behind ? We see this brutal approach to control exercised in other countries and roundly (and rightly ) condemn it. Evil flourishes because good people do nothing.