Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why it's important to add your voice to the scout consultation on non-believers

(37 Posts)
Bags Fri 07-Dec-12 08:36:42

www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2012/12/why-its-important-to-add-your-voice-to-the-scouts-consultation-on-non-believers

There is a link in this article to the public survey.

Greatnan Fri 07-Dec-12 19:21:56

Great response, Granny23.

Bags Fri 07-Dec-12 19:29:47

Thank you for joining in, folks. There is always some support for a good cause on gransnet smile

NfkDumpling Fri 07-Dec-12 19:35:18

I have always thought there should be just one promise with the same wording for all scouts. By having God or Allah or whatever it only stresses the differences. Scouting should unite all children whatever their nationality or religion. This is especially important these days when there can be children of several religions (including atheism) within one troupe.

I also think it's time guides merged with scouts. It doesn't seem fair that girls can join either group while boys only have scouting.

JessM Fri 07-Dec-12 19:47:59

Christian God and Allah are the same God. the Old Testament one.
I remember my DS1 agonising over this promise 30 years ago - really unfair of the scout movement to put 11 year olds through painful moral dilemmas do we think?
Ah bless him. Funny being a mum isn't it. Remembering who they were 30 years ago sad

Bags Fri 07-Dec-12 19:51:56

We talked to DD about the scout promise before she made it. We said it was up to her to interpret what duty to the queen and duty to god meant. We made some suggestions – stuff like being a good citizen and meaning "good" when you say "god". That about covers it.

But you shouldn't have to "interpret". Anyone can promise to do their best to be kind and helpful and to keep the scout law. It's enough.

Ana Fri 07-Dec-12 20:04:20

Yes. Who exactly is insisting that religion continues to be included in the promise? Surely the Scout movement isn't a religious one? Or is it?

Bags Fri 07-Dec-12 20:09:20

SA says it is not a religious organisation.

Ana Fri 07-Dec-12 20:13:06

Then it has no right to insist on a religious element to the promise, in my view.

Granny23 Mon 17-Dec-12 14:07:38

Bags I have been talking today with DD1 about the Scouts as DGS is due to start in February. Have already sent her the consultation link but having been trying without success to find the bit where you talked about the inclusion badge which I believe you got from America? She would like to get one, not for DGS but for her partner, a life long Scout (with no religion) who will be signing up to the local troup as an adult leader when his son joins. Can you supply a link where we can buy the inclusion badge? Thank you.

Bags Mon 17-Dec-12 14:11:00

www.inclusivescouting.net/

Here you are, 23. Glad to see the word is spreading.

Granny23 Mon 17-Dec-12 18:24:14

Many thanks, Bags - I can assure you it will be worn with (non-gay) pridesmile