Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ed Balls and the State Pension

(59 Posts)
sunseeker Mon 10-Jun-13 10:01:22

It has been reported that Ed Balls has said that Labour would cap the state pension if they came to power. UK state pension is already low yet here is a politician who wants to reduce it further.

I think the problem is that the state pension is considered a "benefit" when, in fact, it is an entitlement by virtue of the contract working people had with the government that by paying a set amount every week they would receive free health care and a pension on retirement.

FlicketyB Wed 12-Jun-13 17:07:18

Great nan, if you think that then all the great social welfare steps of the last 200 years, from the abolition of slavery to the welfare state would have to be abandoned because the movements that have spear headed social justice have, in the past, almost always been spearheaded by people with strong religious beliefs that drove their belief in the reforms they championed.

Greatnan Wed 12-Jun-13 17:59:28

Yes, I accept that religious people have done great good - but do you not think they would still be the kind of people who wanted to make the world a better place even if they had not been believers?
I could cite many examples of very bad things done in the name of religion, not just Christianity, but I won't bother. I still don't want the beliefs of others imposed on me by law.

Galen Wed 12-Jun-13 18:23:51

Frank So what?

janeainsworth Wed 12-Jun-13 18:34:12

There is a difference I think between someone who has been driven by their religious beliefs and values to bring about social change, or devote themselves to public service, and senior officers of the Church expressing political views and aligning themselves with one political party or another.
In the case of the Church of England it is particularly problematic, since the C of E is the established Church of the State. Because of this, like the Queen and the judiciary, senior C of E leaders should remain apolitical.
That is not to say they should remain silent about social injustice, but they should be careful what they say and when they say it.
The Right Rev. Richard Chartres may have crossed that fine line, with his little foray into boomer-bashing following on so closely from Ed Balls' policy statement.

Galen Wed 12-Jun-13 18:35:31

I agree with you Janea

FlicketyB Wed 12-Jun-13 19:16:21

But the Bishop that expressed the views about the baby boomers that led to your remarks was not trying to make any religious beliefs law, all he was doing was commenting on the undue advantages he felt one cohort of the population had received.

It is an interesting point of view that can be discussed, but religion doesn't have anything to do with it beyond the fact that he openly professes a religion.

Lilygran Wed 12-Jun-13 21:26:42

Which group of the population is most likely to vote?

whenim64 Wed 12-Jun-13 21:42:10

Exactly, Lilygran. Let them try, if they dare! grin