Gransnet forums

News & politics

Daniel Pelka

(175 Posts)
Lilyching Fri 02-Aug-13 16:48:46

Would anyone who has been horrified by the case of little Daniel Pelka please have a look at this well thought out and researched petition. If you think it would help to prevent tragedies like this happening please sign and share. Thank you for reading.
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/change-the-law-to-better-protect-vulnerable-children-like-daniel-pelka?utm_campaign=petition_created&utm_medium=email&utm_source=guides

Ariadne Sat 07-Sep-13 06:55:32

But I do like it, jingl!

What's the other on? something about "A speedy recovery or a happy death" Now that I find vaguely disturbing..

thatbags Sat 07-Sep-13 07:14:56

Oh, I don't find that disturbing at all. A happy death is exactly what I hope for. Doesn't everyone? It's why I'm in favour of assisted suicide, dignified death – terminally ill people being able to choose to die rather than having to suffer prolonged pain at the end, only alive at all because modern medicine has kept them alive unnaturally.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:40:48

Support us, O Lord,
all the day long of this troublous life,
until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes,
the busy world is hushed,
the fever of life is over
and our work is done.
Then, Lord, in your mercy grant us a safe lodging,
a holy rest, and peace at the last;
through Christ our Lord.

Amen

MiceElf Sat 07-Sep-13 18:53:38

That's a prayer written by Cardinal Newman. I had it printed on my father's memorial card.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 18:58:16

Yes.

The vicar always said it at Evening Prayer when I was a young teenager. I've never forgotten it.

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 18:59:42

Very comforting.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:03:38

but we went to church to flirt with the choirboys

shock

some of it rubbed off though.

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 19:05:41

confused !

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:07:56

What?

JessM Sat 07-Sep-13 19:24:39

LOL ana is not implying for a moment that you implied you did anything to the choirboys jo - or at least I don't think so. Just an unfortunate juxtaposition of words hmm

Ana Sat 07-Sep-13 19:27:25

Quite so, Jess...perish the thought!

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:32:04

LOLOLOLaughs!!!

rude

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 19:32:15

grin

Greatnan Sat 07-Sep-13 20:05:45

That prayer is a lot more comforting than 'Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.' I wonder how many children have been frightened to go to sleep because of that little gem?

Galen Sat 07-Sep-13 20:25:06

It's lovely prayer.
But I still prefer the simplicity of the compline one.Could be because chanted compline by the theological students in Lichfield cathedral was a good excuse to escape from the boarding school I hated!
The only time we were allowed out was got guides or religious services.
I actually have always love plainsong.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 20:33:02

I used to say (when very little), "Four corners to my bed, four angels round my head. One to watch, one to pray. And two to bear my soul away"

Never bothered me at all.

Buggered if I'd say it now! grin

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 20:35:01

I guess we shouldn't be doing this on this thread.

Sorry Lilyching.

j08 Sat 07-Sep-13 20:36:00

I'm remembering a childhood these children don't get to enjoy. sad

MiceElf Sat 07-Sep-13 20:44:17

Hmmm, NOT comforting. Words used to express faith and doubts, words used to explore and express those feelings and ideas. And the intentions and ideas behind them.

There are some textual inaccuracies above, but Hey ho.

Galen Sat 07-Sep-13 20:53:22

Jingle knew that as a song. Think it might have been a round!

Iam64 Sun 08-Sep-13 08:06:20

Jingle 18.40 - I'd forgotten this lovely prayer, which I also remember from Evensong. Maybe some prayers on this thread are appropriate given its the death of a small child in such awful circumstances. No offence meant to those who aren't of faith.
My mum always knelt by our beds and said the Lords Prayer followed by the prayer quoted by Greatnan - now i lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. You're right Gn, it scared me, but mum reassured me I wouldn't die in the night, and that she believed it was written in the olden days, like those of my great grandparents, who had up to 15 children, of whom only 6 or so survived. reassured or what!

Ariadne Sun 08-Sep-13 09:38:52

Really digressing now, but my favourite prayer is this one, by St Ignatius Loyola. It is also the army collect, so graven into my mind from services in many, many garrison churches. It is the middle four lines that resonate for me.

"Teach us, good Lord, to serve thee as thou deservest;
To give, and not to count the cost,
to fight, and not to heed the wounds,
to toil, and not to seek for rest,
to labor, and not to ask for any reward,
save that of knowing that we do thy will."

Greatnan Sun 08-Sep-13 10:08:13

Iam64 - I never find the faith of others offensive, even if I disagree with some of the views and actions of the various religions. Anything that gives comfort to the bereaved has to be good.

Iam64 Sun 08-Sep-13 10:13:10

Ah thanks Greatnan - I agree. I do struggle with fundamentalists of any faith - life is full of challenges isn't it.