Gransnet forums

News & politics

A different face of catholicism

(22 Posts)
JessM Sat 14-Sep-13 17:33:51

Interesting article about a left-wing Spanish nun. Makes you wonder how different the RC church could be doesn't it?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24079227

Penstemmon Sat 14-Sep-13 17:52:45

Well i can't say i disagree with any of her key points! Go Sister Theresa!

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 18:17:52

Wow - she has set out everything I believe. I hope she has good security - there are plenty of ruthless people who won't like what she is saying, not least in the Vatican.

Anne58 Sat 14-Sep-13 18:44:04

Very heartening.

MiceElf Sat 14-Sep-13 19:19:11

Sister is inspirational for many of us in church. And, there are a fair few of us!

absent Sat 14-Sep-13 19:25:12

What a remarkable woman and a person for whom the description charismatic wouldn't be an overstatement.

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 19:33:38

Eventually, Micelf, there will be enough of you to make a difference at the top.

j08 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:42:27

The things she would like to achieve are admirable. No one would disagree with her. I wonder how she proposes those things could be brought about. I hope her government are really good at managing banking. She would need money.

j08 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:44:40

It's quite a lightweight article. Perhaps the programme might be a bit more informative. From Our Own Correspondent is a good programme.

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 19:54:06

Unfortunately, I think there are a great many people who would disagree with her - including the Vatican and most capitalists. But if you meant nobody on Gransnet - I certainly hope so.

j08 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:57:55

I was thinking more of the economic changes she obviously would like to bring about.Don't think a nun is ever going to change the Vatican diehards re abortion. Or gays.

j08 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:58:38

Some of the capitalists could well be right.

vampirequeen Sat 14-Sep-13 20:22:59

Some of the messages being given out by the Pope and his spokesmen seem to be suggesting that the Church can change.

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 20:30:18

The Catholic Church today is not the one I left in 1952! I think the international reaction to the scandal of the cover up of child abuse (which is still being revealed) really shocked the men in frocks. I am heartened by the change in attitude in many Christian sects towards such subjects as sexual orientation and divorce. Change may be slow, but it is happening. I wish I could say the same for Islam.

MiceElf Sat 14-Sep-13 20:46:41

Indeed you are right Greatnan. But you know, many of us on the church have always taken the view that the women children and men in the pew - the faithful people of God - is where the Holy Spirit resides. Sometimes she is more manifest than at other times. And it seems to me that this is a positive time, and a time to rejoice.

Greatnan Sat 14-Sep-13 20:51:55

Whilst I remain an atheist, I rejoice with you, Micelf, because I know how much your faith means to you and many others at the grass roots.

MiceElf Sat 14-Sep-13 20:53:02

Thank you Greatnan smile

absent Sat 14-Sep-13 22:31:11

The Catholic Church does change but it does it exceedingly slowly. Remember the joke about how at the next Vatican Council the Cardinals will be allowed to bring their wives. At the one after that the Pope will be allowed to bring her husband.

Joan Sun 15-Sep-13 08:49:34

I read the article and I agree with her whole heartedly. If she got her way it would work, economically, because the profit motive would be gone from essential services, and share holders would not be reaping dividends, while struggling people faced ever increasing utility bills.

Greatnan Sun 15-Sep-13 09:00:40

Whilst the 'men, women and children' in the pews of Catholic churches seem to be making rapid progress, the Church in Scotland has made a major mistake in removing Fr. Patrick Lawson from his parish because he blew the whistle on sexual abuse. The mistake was compounded when an edict was issued at Mass in his former church, ordering the congregation not to discuss the matter. Several walked out. I hope right thinking will trickle up through the layers - the Church in Scotland has already lost many adherents and will lose more if abuses and cover-ups are not faced honestly and proper remorse is shown.
A few months ago, I would have said 'Good, the sooner all organised religions disappear, the better' but I think I am more open-minded now and accept that a great number of people derive comfort from their faith and companionship within their church.

MiceElf Sun 15-Sep-13 09:09:34

Quite so. The hierarchy of the RCC in Scotland is toxic and a scandal to the church as a whole.

And indeed, change is slow, frustratingly so. But it will come.

As for comfort - well I find life in the church quite uncomfortable in many ways. And I'm not a Christian for the 'comfort'. It's because I believe the message of the gospels to be true.

There is, of course, companionship in the church. Because community and building relationships with each other is central to the life of the church. Trouble is, often those one finds oneself with, are not necessarily those one would always choose! But that too is central to the core belief. 'Love one another'.

Greatnan Sun 15-Sep-13 09:19:46

Yes, I know your faith is what draws you to the Church and keeps you in it, trying to effect change from 'inside the tent'.
I have belonged to a few organisations where I did not like some of the other members, but I remained in them because I believed in their basic values and met many people that I really did 'click' with them.