Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is this how MPs behave?

(38 Posts)
thatbags Wed 25-Sep-13 07:56:20

www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-09-24/protester-from-manchester-in-live-televised-scuffle/ shock

The subject of the peaceful protest is irrelevant. What the hell does that MP think he's doing assaulting someone?

Aka Thu 26-Sep-13 11:46:43

How could we find out?

grumppa Thu 26-Sep-13 12:12:31

He may have been removed by a security firm Anniebach, but did any party members come to his support? Was the firm not engaged by the Labour Party?

grannyactivist Thu 26-Sep-13 12:37:42

Ha! There is some justice after all! Iain Dale is to receive a caution:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24285711

Anniebach Thu 26-Sep-13 13:21:39

Noooo, not correcting you Ana, defending me, I was at that conference and I didn't push the chap out

I add a smiley

POGS Thu 26-Sep-13 13:25:30

I said in my post 13.14 Ian Dale is open about his sexuality.

He is one of the newspaper reviewers on Sky News (also a commentator on many progs) and when he is with Anna Botting and Jaqui Smith he has a right old twinkle about him.

I like him because if he thinks Labour, Tory, Lib Dem, UKIP etc. are wrong he will say so. Quite rightly. In other words not a politically partisan commentator.

He was wrong in his actions, I don't think anybody defended what he did. If you bring up the fact he was a Tory to try and make a point, don't be surprised when that point is bashed back with fair comment. confused

annodomini Thu 26-Sep-13 13:35:10

Right wing, left wing or raving loonie, a thug is a thug.

thatbags Thu 26-Sep-13 13:47:25

He has apologised unreservedly.

POGS Thu 26-Sep-13 14:01:07

I was pleased to read that and I thought it was a reflection of the character I had hoped I had observed in him.

grannyactivist Thu 26-Sep-13 14:18:32

Mr. Dale's apology does seem heartfelt and genuine. We have all done/said things we shouldn't. rueful smile

bluebell Thu 26-Sep-13 14:24:55

For goodness sake, he apologised because his job was on the line - he didn't just knock the man down , he then wrote a blog defending his behaviour. If you were pushed over by a lout, would you think an apology unreserved or otherwise was enough - I bloody wouldn't regardless of the political persuasion if the person concerned. My point is how right wingers rush to his defence

absent Thu 26-Sep-13 19:46:49

I think John Prescot's punch was in response to someone throwing an egg at him. Not fully justifiable but to some extent understandable.

vampirequeen Thu 26-Sep-13 20:56:23

To be fair to John Prescott (and believe me I don't find that an easy thing to do) he didn't know that it was an egg. All he felt was something hit him....it could just as easily have been a fist or a knife and he reacted in self defence.