Gransnet forums

News & politics

Badgers to be gassed

(154 Posts)
thatbags Thu 10-Oct-13 18:48:42

I learn from the Scottish Wild Lands Group that the NFU welcomes the plan to gas badger families in their setts!

So, we've to be outraged about children being gassed in Syria but it's OK to gas badgers at home!?! shock

Deedaa Mon 14-Oct-13 22:09:05

When we first moved up to Berkshire my DH kept telling me about the big birds with forked tails that he saw as he was driving his lorry. All I knew about red kites was that they were really, really rare and lived in Wales. I had missed the whole re introduction thing while we were in Cornwall and I was amazed when I started seeing them myself. Dozens of them up and down the M40 brilliant!!!

Flowerofthewest Mon 14-Oct-13 21:11:43

Yes Hebs. I know the ones. Saw them this year again and with two babies, just 10 days old. Love dolphins, they seem to swim so close to the shore 'eyeballing' us humans.

Hebs Mon 14-Oct-13 17:42:15

Flowerofthewest we went to watch the dolphins of the Black isle, after we had watched them which was amazing, we looked up and there was numerous Kites, what a lovely day

Flowerofthewest Mon 14-Oct-13 17:22:39

My very first Red Kite (and it was only one!) was on the Black Isle - we spent days looking for them, now they are everywhere and I love it.

Jendurham Mon 14-Oct-13 11:50:40

I love red kites. One of the buses from Newcastle is called the Red Kite run. The first ones we saw were at Gibside. Now when we go to Newcastle, the Metro Centre or Gibside we take the Red Kite route, so we can see how many we spot and who spots them first. It worries me when it's my son as he's usually driving.

Flowerofthewest Mon 14-Oct-13 10:58:52

Jendurham grin

Jendurham Sun 13-Oct-13 23:38:55

Absent, you've got about 100 trillion microorganisms in your gut, so I guess you could say they are domesticated.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Oct-13 23:28:45

Red Kites are normally scavengers, how are they a nuisance? Sea Eagles have been known to take lambs but their diet is mainly fulmars and fish. Of 100 lambs in a study of dead newborn lambs only one was found with talon marks on its body. There have been exaggerated claims by crofters about older lambs being taken. There is compensation for lambs taken by Sea Eagles so it is sometimes beneficial for less scrupulous people to blame the Sea Eagles. I have this on good authority from a person who has to investigate claims regarding Sea Eagle attacks on lambs.

Also the Sea Eagles bring a lot of benefits to Western Scotland and The Western Isles with tourism. Red Kites too especially in North and Mid Wales attract a vast amount of tourism. I know they are artificially fed but they bring a lot of enjoyment to a lot of people.

I have eyelash lice and so do we all, they must be pets JO8 and absent grin

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 23:14:40

Well, I don't love 'em. if we do.

absent Sun 13-Oct-13 23:08:10

Do we have domesticated bacteria and pet mosquitoes?

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 22:15:11

Hummm...

Gorki Sun 13-Oct-13 22:12:24

But they are beautiful smile

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 22:03:52

I hate those bloody red kites.

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 22:03:08

Yes. And some of it I can do without.

merlotgran Sun 13-Oct-13 22:02:08

But that's nature, jingle.

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:59:50

Absent! I was talking wildlife. hmm

Flowerofthewest Yes, but we are doing fine without them. Kites make a nuisance of themselves in some areas. Sea Eagles take young lambs.

absent Sun 13-Oct-13 21:53:27

Flowerofthewest But isn't the human race part of nature?

J08 Taken to its logical conclusion that approach would mean doing away with antibiotics – let bacteria evolve at they will – insecticides – let malaria flourish – and other pesticides – widespread, possibly global, famine and maybe even the extinction of the human race.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Oct-13 21:38:07

Hi JO8 , see your point but Sea Eagles were persecuted by man shot, poisened and the egg collecting has a lot to answer. They did not die out naturally.

Red Kite but also persecuted by man to near extinction.

j08 Sun 13-Oct-13 20:58:52

I wonder if there would be something to be said for leaving the wildlife alone and just letting it evolve as it will. I can't see any benefit to reintroducing species that disappeared long ago. Thinking red kites and sea eagles.

They are not even sure if the hedgehogs are actually having much effect on the birds. We interfere too much.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Oct-13 19:44:38

I think that many conservationists would like to see the grey squirrel eradicated. Just got carried away. sad

merlotgran Sun 13-Oct-13 19:38:19

Is anyone talking about total eradication/extermination on here? I though we were discussing culling (we all know it means killing) as a means of control.

Flowerofthewest Sun 13-Oct-13 19:28:57

I agree these should be controlled but in a humane way. I abhor the fact that the hedgehogs are devastating the ground nesting bird population in the Uists. I am a keen bird watcher and bird lover. The best way is to transport them to the mainland, to a sanctuary and when ready release them in suitable habitats.

The grey squirrels are a pest and should be managed. Hate the thought of them being shot or worse though. The grey do not bully the red squirrels.
Greys don't kill the reds, they spread the 'pox' which they are resistant to but kills the reds within 5-7 days. Reds also will eat bird eggs.

Also if the greys are to be eradicated completely because they are a non native species then so should rabbits and 4 of our 6 species of deer which were introduced. Fallow, muntjac, sika and chinese water deer. Grey squirrels are, by default, an integral part of British wildlife now. Even the Brown Hare was possibly introduced by the Romans.

There are feral - introduced goat in NZ but maybe not such a treat as the deer. In fact I think they are protected. may be wrong.,

absent Sun 13-Oct-13 18:48:13

Flowerofthewst I thought it was deer, not goats, in New Zealand that presented a huge problem. This was dealt with by farming deer and servicing a highly successful international market. (Clearly not an option with many other species.) I haven't heard about goats.

Elegran Sun 13-Oct-13 18:41:33

The birds did not ask to have invasive incomers eating their eggs and chicks, and the red squirrels did not ask to be outnumbered, outforaged and bullied by grey ones.

The red ones eat a more restricted diet - spruce and pine seeds, acorns, berries, fungi, bark and sap tissue. Grey squirrels will eat these too, and anything else, including eggs and young birds. They are twice as big as red squirrels.

Not a level playing field. It is on a par with letting motor-cycles compete in the tour de France.

merlotgran Sun 13-Oct-13 15:51:57

All the more reason their numbers should be controlled, Flower.