Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parts of the Brain that were the last to develop the first to decline

(30 Posts)
soapsoanelive Tue 25-Nov-14 05:56:37

Brain's Dementia Weak Spot Identified

BBC news have just reported that intuitive links that doctors made between schizophrenia and dementia (they used to call schizophrenia 'early dementia') may just be right. MRI imaging of the areas of the brain last to develop, the parts used in high level functions such as seeing and hearing are the first to decline in sufferers. It's reported that this is a breakthrough in research and could be really useful in developing treatments.

Hmmm....what do you think when you read these kinds of articles? Speaking purely as a utopian idealist I have a feeling that I want more to be said about how social diversity and difference and ageing categories have changed over the last, say hundred years. Are we kinder, for example in our 'assessments' of people? Do we give also when we take information, make assessments? Is the new technology used to give back to the people being examined? How does this discovery help people live good lives? Or is it marketing material that can be picked up and used by expensive care providers? Well, you know, I think....

Because we used to judge the effects of medications that people with schizophrenia suffered as if they were the illness itself. Historically, IQ tests have been misapplied in infant and primary schools. Everyone has their list of concerns about social labelling. In the 21st century my interest is in how technology might be out of control and although doctors may want to do no harm that the technology is in the service of much earlier embedded stereotypes that do noone any favours.

What do you think?

janeainsworth Wed 26-Nov-14 06:52:58

Eloethan I did qualify my comment by saying 'in this country'.
By referring to the 'Ethics Committee of the Relevant Trust' I was talking about properly conducted trials under the auspices of NHS Trusts. Ethics Committees have very stringent standards which they apply to proposed research projects.

I can't comment on the individual cases you mention because I know nothing about them, but within the NHS, doctors, dentists and nurses can prescribe only from lists of previously approved drugs.

soontobe Wed 26-Nov-14 07:52:44

You could be right about the new in the immune system Soutra and janeainsworth. I am getting deflated again.

This is where I was looking
www.asthma.org.uk/research-our-research-achievements

Your link is interesting, janerowena, thanks. Not sure of the full implications of that. I will pass it on to my son actually. He is a researcher[but not in health]. But does have links with the USA.

Elegran Wed 26-Nov-14 10:54:28

The abuses of patients by giving them untested drugs as a trial without their knowledge is just that - abuse - and where it is discovered, those doing it are disciplined.

It is not the policy and practice of the whole medical profession, though. Most of them consider the well-being of their patients as paramount.

soapsoanelive is disenchanted with medecine altogether, and seems to want research into better diagnostic techniques suppressed because he/she thinks diagnosis leads to pigeonholing and then ignoring the patients who will be difficult to treat. However, ignoring advances found in research does not help eradicate blinkered attitudes, and highlighting the bad practices should not mean condemning everyone.

FlicketyB Wed 26-Nov-14 18:11:58

How would the pharmaceutical companies survive to do any research if they were only allowed to research drugs that they would not be able to sell. They are commercial companies. They research products and then sell them, generating income to do more research.

The real query is why governments and other public bodies are not providing funds to research into products that would be for the public good (mediation for ebola for example) but would not be profitable (primarily a disease of impoverished countries).