Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oh No!! They were my favourite Gogglebox family.

(66 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 14:13:23

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2863696/Goggleboxgate-Ukip-candidate-s-fury-ousted-key-seat-star-hit-C4-show.html

Scrolling down, I don't like the sound of the Steph and Dom boozy session with Nigel Farage either. hmm

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 14:49:45

Are you meaning that you dont like UKIP?
Or are you meaning that they probably wont now be on gogglebox?

merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 14:52:43

Both.

durhamjen Sun 07-Dec-14 14:55:39

Good heavens, UKIP parachute wealthy candidates in just like other parties. What a surprise!

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 14:59:57

Sounds like it.

Ok, I am going to open a can of worms.
Are wealthier people likely, in the law of averages, to have more brainpower?

Is someone who works at the chippy, or cuts your hair, likely not to be able to be an MP?

glammanana Sun 07-Dec-14 15:14:50

It certainly doesn't take brain power to become an MP just look at some of the candidates we have had to put up with here on Merseyside over the years.
My local hairdresser can reel off all the scientific terms which she learnt to do with hairdressing when studying for her degree in an instant/she can balance her books/show a profit/be courtious to her customers, so you can tell who I would trust more in an instant.

daffydil Sun 07-Dec-14 15:19:09

Alan Johnson the much respected Labour M.P. was a postman for some years and was the father of 3 children by the time he was 20. It seems to me he is more likely to understand the problems of 'ordinary' peple than someone who has never had to worry about how they are going to pay the electricity bill.
Nigel Farage may live to regret the programme he has made with Steph and Dom and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Soutra Sun 07-Dec-14 15:20:31

Interesting question - brainpower and wealth: is there a correlation? Discuss on one side of A4.

For the Ayes- Steve Jobs, Stephen Hawking, seriously bright Oxbridge philosophers/economists/top medics/top lawyers/ Christine Lagarde/Bill Gates

For the Noes- most of our Royal family, much of the aristocracy, Tim Nice-But-Dim.

Soutra Sun 07-Dec-14 15:47:52

But seriously what do you mean by brainpower? Intelligence? Academic learning or qualifications ? Common sense? Technical knowledge? Each will have its place in different areas of society but if I were having brain surgery I' d like to have a highly qualified and skilled and knowledgeable surgeon doing it!

durhamjen Sun 07-Dec-14 15:51:16

Did the Ayes have the wealth first or after the brainpower was noticed?

In Victorian times, many of the wealthy families had the advantages that our elitist MPs had in terms of education because education only became compulsory after 1870. They became MPs usually after doing something else.
Many of this lot have only been able to have the parliamentary power because they had the money first.

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 16:49:37

All of that lot Soutra.

I would have thought the ayes would have had the wealth after the brainpower.
Wealth is only going to get them so far.

Many of this lot have only been able to have the parliamentary power because they had the money first

True. May be very true.
But I would have thought that they have some of Soutra's post too.

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 16:55:01

I think that it was annodomini on another thread, who said that prospective MPs that try to get elected at their local constituencies, are ruthless and ambitious.

Perhaps that is what seperates most wealthy people from the non wealthy?
And what seperates propsective MPs from non prospective MPs?

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 16:57:36

And that is what UKIP are looking for, the same as other parties?
A non ambitious, and non go-getter, is not much use as an MP presumably.
I am prepared to be wrong by the way.
I am interested in what your MPs were like glammanana.

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 17:02:06

Do you know when the programme with Steph and Dom is going to be on merlotgran?

merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 17:41:07

I don't know, soontobe

I wouldn't have put Andrew Michael down as a UKIP supporter. Out of all the couples/families they seem to make the most balanced and sensible comments.

Not that I take Gogglebox seriously of course wink

Ana Sun 07-Dec-14 17:44:27

I like the Asian father and sons. They speak more sense than most of the families on there! smile

Tegan Sun 07-Dec-14 17:54:45

They are my favourites too. I also like the young Geordie girl and the lady vicar with the greyhound. Alas, I may have to stop watching Gogglebox as a protest against the Farage spin off sad; perhaps a letter of complaint would do the trick though.

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 17:58:24

I have only watched a couple of episodes, so dont know who Steph and Dom are. And dont know which group of people I prefer.
I do like the Mr and Mrs with the daughter with the big eyes and is quite pretty. And the daughter probably speaks the most sense!

Tegan Sun 07-Dec-14 18:04:32

I think that's the Geordie lass, soontobe. She does speak a lot of sense but is very funny with it.

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 18:06:19

She has some great expressions!

soontobe Sun 07-Dec-14 18:06:58

I meant facial expressions really, but expressions too.

merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 18:14:58

She's a star. I bet the producers are glad they found her.

I find the couple in the mobile home a bit dull.

I'm going to start wondering how they will vote in the next election now.

June and Leon and the vicar and her husband definitely labour.

Steph and Dom definitely tory.

I suppose the Michael family will leave now which will be a shame as I was thinking of adopting Louis as an extra grandson grin

Ana Sun 07-Dec-14 18:34:16

Oh! Nearly forgot Sandra and Sandy - they are so funny tchgrin. Hard to guess how they'd vote.

petallus Sun 07-Dec-14 19:48:44

I used to watch Gogglebox. Is it still going? I've forgotten which channel it's on.

Tegan Sun 07-Dec-14 20:05:17

Ch 4; repeated on More4.