Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has identity politics replaced that of social class?

(55 Posts)
thatbags Sat 02-May-15 19:57:08

James Bloodworth seems to think it has and he doesn't seem to keen on the idea.

Eloethan Sun 03-May-15 22:37:45

I didn't say he was doing it by stealth - I expect he would appreciate some publicity - most new ventures do.

Practically everyone on TV seems to have an opinion on Russell Brand - and it's not usual a complimentary one. The main thrust seems to be that he's a self-serving idiot who doesn't put his money where his mouth is. You say there has been a lot of coverage about the cafe but I didn't see/read it (my husband told me about it) - and it appears that several Gransnetters knew nothing about the cafe opening.

Ana Sun 03-May-15 22:49:02

And your point is...what, exactly?

I've already said there was plenty of media coverage. As for 'several' Gransnetters knowing nothing about the café opening, only two have said they weren't aware of it. Perhaps a lot more aren't interested in RB an his doings, and the event just passed them by.

durhamjen Sun 03-May-15 22:59:01

I thought that was her point, Ana, that not many of us noticed it even though it was in the media.

He's not like Jamie Oliver, who opens up Fifteen cafes and is all over the newspapers.
Russell Brand does not get noticed for his better motives, just for the ones where he is seen as a self-serving idiot. In this case he wasn't.

thatbags Mon 04-May-15 06:18:50

I didn't see any publicity about RB's venture, eloethan. So, someone who has boasted about never voting is now 'telling' other people to vote Green? Still, I suppose that could be seen as evidence that he has some faith in democracy, even an imperfect one, so for him that's an improvement. Perhaps he is maturing a little at last.