Gransnet forums

News & politics

Documentary tomorrow on BBC 1 at 10pm- the KKK in the USA today

(36 Posts)
granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 19:10:35

... after the Ku Klux Klan were mentionned several times recently in other discussions, including the one on the Confederate Flag flying all over the place in Southern USA and an earlier one on the EDL - we will definitely be watching this tomorrow and perhaps have a better understanding of the issues and what the KKK is about, even now in 2015.

whitewave Sun 12-Jul-15 19:21:51

Thanks will give it a view

Envious Sun 12-Jul-15 19:45:00

I've lived in the South most of my life and I've never seem a Confederate flag flying in public or anywhere else. As for courthouses I've only see the one in Tennessee where I live and there has never been a Confederate flag there.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 22:05:31

Are you watching? Seriously worrying sad

janeainsworth Mon 13-Jul-15 22:22:16

Envious We travelled through North & South Carolina last year on the Intracoastal Waterway and many of the houses did indeed fly the Confederate flag.
I thought little of it at the time, assuming the house owners were just showing allegiance to their part of the U.S., is the South, in the same way Scottish people fly the Saltire.
It's only since the horrific murders last month in SC that I have heard it said that it's a symbol of oppression of African Americans.

Ana Mon 13-Jul-15 22:25:37

granjura the documentary isn't on BBC 1 here. It's the news, as usual.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 22:28:17

On Channel 4, sorry. Quite shocking.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 22:29:36

AGain i do recommend reading 'Mudbound' for th history of post war KKK in the South.

Ana Mon 13-Jul-15 22:30:36

Oops - I thought I'd checked all the channels. Will have a look now although it's halfway through (could always watch + 1 of course).

merlotgran Mon 13-Jul-15 22:31:48

Yes. Mudbound is a very good book.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 22:40:58

just bought that book. Cheap on Kindle at the moment.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 22:48:59

are you watching? 1998- worse than ISIS style murdering or black Christian youth in the name of 'white' Christianity- dragged alive for 3 miles on road- as int he 'old' KKK tradition.

Christianity does have its extremes too, tragically.

merlotgran Mon 13-Jul-15 22:51:40

I'm going to watch it on 4+1 in ten minutes.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 22:51:48

Mudbound is about post war KKK- and be warned, it is quite shocking. These extremist racist attitudes still remain to this day for too many- and in the name of 'Christianity' (the Christianity of the black churches being totally dismissed).

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 22:59:50

No way is that Christianity, of any kind. That is hate, pure and simple.

moon

merlotgran Tue 14-Jul-15 10:56:09

I watched it late last night on +1. I agree with jingl. A lot of bigoted loud mouths keeping up a tradition which is full of hate.

The kind of people who like to portray themselves as feasome and evil but each and every one of them would probably run a mile if you shout, 'BOO!'

HildaW Tue 14-Jul-15 15:06:05

The US is so big and each state has its own 'personality'. We've stayed in the South - Carolinas, Georgia and Alabama and, although we had wonderful holidays, you cannot ignore the differences of opinion. There is almost self-imposed segregation in cities. There is also a lot of anti 'North' feeling that's represented by that flag. If you gingerly start a conversation, those who express such views couch it in terms of anti- government (particularly Obama - who although black is viewed in those southern states as a later day Kennedy). The trouble is that if one is anti North, historically that also means you were pro-slavery and hence against racial integration.

I watched the programme for 10 minutes and then felt I'd had enough. The trouble is that its a lot of socially insecure people who feel hard done by and need a scape goat....they chose the African American. In the UK we would probably see they funny side of it.....sort of BNP in silly costumes but in the US with their gun culture its a whole different matter.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 15:15:39

jingl I agree- and exactly what my Muslim relatives say about ISIS- that their actions have NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING to do with Islam.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 15:17:42

HildaW- could you imagine the EDL going around in those costumes, with arms and burning crosses? It could never happen here (thank goodness).

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-15 15:40:16

Good post Hilda
GJ You somehow make it sound as though the white supremacists in the UK are less vicious and hateful than the KKK because they don't wear silly costumes and burn crosses.
They are organised, and they do hateful things, just like the KKK.
A young British Asian dentist in North Wales was almost killed, and his hand almost severed, by a British white supremacist.
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/white-supremacist-screamed-this-lee-5929392
We have no justification to point the finger at the USA.

granjura Tue 14-Jul-15 19:19:28

Totally aware of this jane- of course. But if you look at the history of the KKK, and the awful deeds they perpetrated, like hangings, cutting tongues (read Mudbound), dragging alive behind a truck for miles till dead, etc- which was accepted in the South, is unparralleled in the UK, truly. If you watched the fil last night, the last case of a man dragged behing a truck for miles till dead of incredible suffering, was in 98- so not long ago. And many didn't think it was wrong at all in the deep South- in the UK there would have been a massive outcry.

I'm sorry, but you really can't compare the KKK to the EDL, as I was wrong to do so. Look at the history- there is no history of the EDL committing massive numbers of the most abject and cruel crimes as the KKK in the USA.

We have visited the USA many times, and have many friends there- so I am no hater of the USA. But closing your eyes to the history of the KKK is not helpful here. One of our USA friend is a retired Professor of politics at a very famous USA uni- and we have oftenb discussed the issue- as he lived with his family in Leicester- they were totally amazed by the cultural mix and how well it works- and said it just could not happen in the USA, especially in the South (they live on the North/South divide). Sad that you constantly try to distort what I am saying, and wish to ignore the terrible past of the South USA, slavery and the KKK, which still survive to date for so many.

There is a documentary on Tony Morrison tonight on BBC1, at 10pm I believe - it will be interesting to say what she says.

Anniebach Tue 14-Jul-15 19:53:23

But the KKK and the EDL are the same, they are racists , the EDL hasn't carried the killings as the KKK but this doesn't make them better people

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Jul-15 20:04:40

I would guess the families of the 3,446 people lynched by the KKK over 86 years (Tuskegee University's Records and Research Division) would take issue with that.

Anniebach Tue 14-Jul-15 20:22:30

Take issue with some racists are better people than other racists ? I doubt it, hate is hate

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Jul-15 20:30:56

Can't say I'm keen on racists myself. But I don't think they're quite as hateful as people who lynch their neighbours.