Gransnet forums

News & politics

Documentary tomorrow on BBC 1 at 10pm- the KKK in the USA today

(37 Posts)
granjura Sun 12-Jul-15 19:10:35

... after the Ku Klux Klan were mentionned several times recently in other discussions, including the one on the Confederate Flag flying all over the place in Southern USA and an earlier one on the EDL - we will definitely be watching this tomorrow and perhaps have a better understanding of the issues and what the KKK is about, even now in 2015.

Anniebach Tue 14-Jul-15 21:41:21

I do Maggiemaybe, they may not take a life but they can make life hell

Ana Tue 14-Jul-15 21:47:47

You can't legislate against hate per se. Murder is a criminal offence.

Anniebach Tue 14-Jul-15 22:02:08

Yes Ana,,I do know murder is against the law but this isn't about breaking laws it's about racism

janeainsworth Tue 14-Jul-15 23:07:40

Granjura please don't accuse me of wishing to ignore the slavery and abominations if the KKK. You are twisting my words.
You said
"HildaW- could you imagine the EDL going around in those costumes, with arms and burning crosses? It could never happen here (thank goodness)."

All I was implying was that it could happen here, if we are not very vigilant and if we are complacent.

Anniebach Tue 14-Jul-15 23:17:17

We have to accept racism can cause a racist to do harm no matter British or American. Our police don't go around shooting as the Americans do but let us not forget it was British police officers who did not a thing for Stephen Lawrence as he lay bleeding to death, this caused Doreen much pain, they didn't even extend kind words to her son , passers by did

durhamjen Tue 14-Jul-15 23:52:21

I noticed that they were using media to further their cause, and then got really upset when Anonymous did the same to them. They were quite happy to be filmed but did not want their names and addresses put on the internet.
The woman who complained about the photo of her children on the internet because they might be attacked did not see the irony in it.

granjura Wed 15-Jul-15 11:11:55

I am sorry Jane- and I truly believe I was not twisitng your words. Of course racism could and does happen in the UK, and the BNP and EDL are representations of that- what could not happen is the wearing of hoods and masks and the burning of crosses- and the acceptation by a significant % of the population that it is legitimate- as happens in some parts of the deep south of the USA.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Jul-15 13:33:23

I'm just wary of thinking 'it could never happen here' gj.
I am afraid it could.

HildaW Thu 16-Jul-15 13:11:36

In a similar vein I watched the BBC2 programme last night about Slave ownership. Was unpleasant viewing and a timely reminder of our history. Yes, it all happened in the past but the effects are very much a part of our present.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Jul-15 18:39:55

Yes. Bit of a shock to think how the aristocracy got their wealth in the first place. Puts a new light on Britain's stately homes.

HildaW Thu 16-Jul-15 19:43:17

That's been known for a long time....what was interesting was that there were a lot of much less wealthy people who owned a few. Then there were the widows who had been left them in wills. Often the income from these few enslaved peoples were all their husbands bequeathed them.