Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should prostitution be legalised

(123 Posts)
petra Thu 06-Aug-15 20:59:09

I'm sure a few of you will have an opinion. Mine is yes.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Aug-15 21:07:09

It is legal.

HildaW Thu 06-Aug-15 21:10:25

Seriously? Why is such a thing still necessary? Why should women (and men) have to belittle themselves in this way in this day and age. Would it not be better to encourage and educate people in and maintaining personal relationships?
For me there is something very soul destroying (for both parties) in putting a monetary value on something so personal and intimate.

petra Thu 06-Aug-15 21:15:23

Riverwalk. So why are they printing articles on this subject in The Telegraph and Daily Wail today. And there was a debate on Newsnight?

Riverwalk Thu 06-Aug-15 21:21:45

I've no idea!

Ana Thu 06-Aug-15 21:22:37

Prostitution is technically legal in the UK. Soliciting, pimping and running a brothel are not.

Elayne Fri 07-Aug-15 17:40:53

Yes definitely legalise it I am happily divorced and have spoken to my daughter about this before a few years ago. She says she would not want her partner to stray but if he did she would rather he paid than have an affair. With working ladies there is no emotion it is just an act. Better than the old man having an affair with the barmaid, Far better to spend £50 or more on whatever than spending countless amounts of money on a woman they have an emotional connection with.

HildaW Fri 07-Aug-15 18:01:49

I'm sorry but I really do not understand the concept of a partner 'using the services' and it being considered a reasonable solution to a problem in a marriage. Are men really hardwired to need sex .....as if its an itch that has to be scratched?
Its something that beyond my husband too, to him sex is a sacred part of our relationship.

feetlebaum Fri 07-Aug-15 18:30:46

@HildaW - Would it be so strange if that were true?

Making a sacrament out of reproductive coupling is... a tad creepy I would have thought. But you would obviously disagree - is that because you prefer to have the whole business sanitised a little? That would be a reasonable reaction - just not my reaction! (All academic as far as I am concerned - it's been a long time...)

HildaW Fri 07-Aug-15 18:42:29

All academic here too now but I still cannot get my head around mindless urges....I must be a reckless romantic lucky enough to be married to a man who feels the same (its something we discussed freely especially in the early years as we had both come from marriages that had not ended well).

Similarly I've never fully excepted the modern idea that sex is just a gratifying activity that one can enjoy (a la Sex in the City) without any emotional connection what so ever. Honestly, I do have a past but the odd times there was little emotional connection I always found it deeply unsatisfactory.

harrigran Fri 07-Aug-15 18:42:39

Keep thee only unto me as long as we both shall live, what is creepy about that ? it is the way it should be.

bookdreamer Fri 07-Aug-15 18:54:58

Single people use prostitutes too. And marriage vows no longer mean what they used to. I can't imagine anyone wanting to have sex with prostitutes. But I think it's more honest than getting married for the wrong reasons.

Greyduster Fri 07-Aug-15 19:30:17

Yes. When I worked for a solicitor, thirty years ago, a lot of these ladies used to appear in our offices on a regular basis, waiting for their solicitor to accompany them to court. It was like an unbroken circle of get picked up by the police, go to court, get fined, go back on the street to earn the money to pay the fine (most had families to support), get picked up by the police, etc. I was told that some of their clients were single men who found it difficult to form normal social and sexual relationships, even men who had been widowed. At that time, most of the women I saw did not have the 'luxury' of carrying out their trade indoors in a safe environment, but worked on the streets in conditions that would make your hair stand on end. I don't suppose it's any different now. If these women have to so this, I'd like to see them in clean, safe conditions for their sake and the sake of their clients.

petra Fri 07-Aug-15 20:14:46

HildaW. What would you suggest disabled people do? I'm sorry if that offends you, but disabled people want sex.

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-15 21:20:12

During my career as a social worker I have set up opportunities for disabled young men to have sexual experiences - Amsterdam was a good place to go where the sex workers were very sympathetic and helpful to them. The men involved told me that they had received a kindly and positive experience. I also organised for them to be supplied with devices that helped their natural sexual desires to have expression, when they were unabe to do this themselves. It was something that we talked about without any embarrassment and that enhanced their lives.

In the main normal sex was not possible for them, either for physical reasons or because it was very difficult to find a willing partner who would accept them as they were.

rosesarered Fri 07-Aug-15 21:25:05

There has always been a need for prostitutes, it's called ' the oldest profession' but organised brothels are a dubious idea, not least because it's easy to keep young girls ' under the radar' there, and others as virtual prisoners .

rosesarered Fri 07-Aug-15 21:26:13

It's a difficult problem, as street walking has it's own dangers as well

petra Fri 07-Aug-15 21:42:50

Did anyone see ' A very british brothel' I loved it. It was run by a mother and daughter. Nothing sleazy, it was as if they were running the corner cafe.
'The Madam'was so caring for her girls. She looked after them like a mother hen.
I think it should still be on catchup. Channel 4.

Elayne Fri 07-Aug-15 22:13:13

petra that was a sauna I AM A PROSTITUTE - WORKING LADY - does anyone mind

Elayne Fri 07-Aug-15 22:17:32

HildaW "REALLY"

vampirequeen Sat 08-Aug-15 07:46:43

I saw the programme and loved it. It seemed like a retreat for some of the men and I loved the Yorkshire greeting, "'iya luv" whenever a punter entered the building.

Legalising prostitution and brothels would make it a much safer profession for the women. Also it could help to prevent underage prostitution as a girl would have to prove her age in order to work. Brothels would be much more comfortable and safer for the woman and the punter. Panic buttons in every room for the women and no pimp waiting to take her money or mug her punter.

Have you ever been in a red light district? My ex MIL lived in one (it was a residential area). You'd see the girls begin to congregate in the evening wearing next to nothing no matter how cold it was and from where we where you could see their pimps around the corner waiting for them to bring back the money. This wasn't good for the girls or the local residents. Kerb crawlers would stop any woman and ask for business even if it was obvious she wasn't working. I was once stopped whilst pushing a pram. He didn't get the response he was expecting as I sent him away with a flea in his ear grin

nightowl Sat 08-Aug-15 08:25:24

I saw the programme, and it made me sad. I couldn't quite get my head around the fact that the mother had brought up her daughter to follow in her footsteps. At one stage the daughter said she wanted to make her mother proud of her. Not quite what I would have wanted for my daughter, so not ok for anyone else's either. Maybe it's me that has the problem;I certainly don't see sex as sanctified (more like rather ridiculous), but I don' like to see it commodified either.

Nelliemoser Sat 08-Aug-15 09:25:34

I think if women feel they willingly want to do it as a job it should be made safe.
As others have said if they have been trafficked into it or are doing it just to feed a drug habit and their pimp it is a different issue altogether.

One of the workers in the "Very British brothel" sauna/massage parlour had a positive attitude to her work.

A very difficult dilemma for neighbours etc but if it is regulated it's a lot safer than being on the streets.

Alea Sat 08-Aug-15 09:26:35

Just a sauna, really Elayne? confused

Your point is?

vampirequeen Sat 08-Aug-15 09:37:11

They made no secret of what was really going on there. It was officially a sauna to stay within the law but the ladies were definitely offering extras.

I don't mind if you're a prostitute Elayne provided it is your choice and you're keeping the money you earn. I've known several ladies who worked in the sex industry. It was just a job the same as someone who worked in any other job. Each went to work, each came home and returned to her main job which, for theses ladies, was being a mum.

Even if you're not keeping the money you earn I still don't object to you being a prostitute but I do object to the man taking your earnings just as I'd object to any man taking someone else's wages.