Gransnet forums

News & politics

Indian sisers

(34 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 09:18:16

I have just read an appalling piece of news on line that several newspapers are carrying. A brother of two young sisters in India has run off with a married woman from a higher caste. I gather where they live is a rural part of India that is presided over by tribal elders. It seems that these elderly males have deemed that a quid pro quo punishment for this so called transgression on the part of the young man and they have deemed that his two young sisters should be gang raped and then paraded naked through their village. Surely the Indian government could step in and stop such a vile atrocity happening? I realise that India is a vast country that has an enormous disparity between the role it plays, as one of the most important economic players on the world stage, and the small parochial communities that live their lives in a bygone era. This deep rooted misogyny is very disturbing. Is there a petition that could be presented to the Indian Government to stop this sort of thing happening?

I

Eloethan Tue 22-Sep-15 23:38:25

That's brilliant.

durhamjen Tue 22-Sep-15 20:36:45

www.amnesty.org.uk/issues/Action-for-individuals

The sisters have been saved. They do not feel safe enough to return to their village, but are safe, thanks to Amnesty and all those who signed.

FarNorth Sat 29-Aug-15 15:10:35

Words fail me.
I've signed.

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 15:07:58

Even if the girls are safe and choose to return to their village, the power of this petition and the hundreds of thousands of voices behind it, should keep them safe (I hope) and send a clear message to these morons.

Anya Sat 29-Aug-15 15:04:01

Signed.

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 14:38:13

After I signed the petition I got a follow up email with a link so I could share it on Facebook. A good way to spread the news and get lots more signatures

Lona Sat 29-Aug-15 13:45:35

Petition signed.

TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 13:25:21

Yes lets just hope they are kept safe. Whilst it must be hard for them to leave their familiar day to day lives, I think they must stay in Delhi until they are guaranteed a safe return to their community.

If these courts are illegal I think India must do more to ensure that is the case, if necessary, punitive sentences for perpetrators who take it upon themselves to dole out such punishments to make others think twice. India has come so far so quickly, but instances like this, illustrate they have a long way to go in some areas.

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 13:12:05

Thank God they are safe. Not sure that they would want to return to a village where there are people who even think like these 'elders'. Hard for them to have turned their lives upside-down as it is.

whenim64 Sat 29-Aug-15 12:57:44

From Amnesty's website:

INDIA: ORDERED THE RAPE OF TWO SISTERS DALITS IN INDIA

By Amnesty International ,23 August 2015, Index Number: ASA 20/2316/2015

On July 30, in Baghpat, Uttar Pradesh, in northern India, a non-elected municipal council and composed solely of men ordered a dalit woman and her teenage sister was violated, and that would make them parade naked. The sisters and their families have fled the town and are currently in Delhi.

whenim64 Sat 29-Aug-15 12:44:05

According to this news from Australia, the girls are safe in Delhi and requesting protection so they can return to their village. These 'kangaroo courts' were made illegal in 2011.

www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/india-rape-outrage-village-order-on-sisters-sparks-new-outcry/story-fnb64oi6-1227503963664?sv=49f82f1ebf54c97ba3608fd97eefc965

thatbags Sat 29-Aug-15 12:33:06

I damn well hope so, when, about the before bit.

whenim64 Sat 29-Aug-15 12:27:15

Similar vigilante behaviour by tribal elders last year in Bengal. They and the perpetrators of the rapes were arrested and dealt with by the law. Presumably, the same will happen here before they carry out this threat.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/10592303/Indian-village-elders-arrested-for-ordering-gang-rape.html

whenim64 Sat 29-Aug-15 12:19:52

Petition signed. Cold-blooded planning is sickening when carried out by individuals but to have it ordered by tribal elders is atrocious, inhumane. They should be arrested and brought to justice.

ffinnochio Sat 29-Aug-15 11:59:31

This made me weep with despair when I first heard of it. The response to the brother's crime is deeply unconscionable and saddening. sad

Jane10 Sat 29-Aug-15 11:54:37

OMG those poor girls. Unfortunately I suspect that this must be a tip of the iceberg situation: this sort of thing must be quietly going on without it coming to the attention of the media. I will sign the petition immediately. I had thought that after the uproar about that poor girl on the bus that there would be a massive governmental push to stop that sort of thing. Men's natures are so repellent when they have the opportunity to take advantage of this sort of atrocious bullying of the vulnerable.

TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 11:47:57

When I first read the article in the Independent, I had to read it again, I just found it unbelievable. Hideous!

Of course the whole caste system, whilst cultural, is pretty incongruous in a modern society, no doubt some would argue other countries have class systems, which is true to an extent, but that's another argument.

I do hope other countries, including our own, will bring pressure to bear and this dreadful assault will not be carried out.

I think Indian women are beginning to rise up and protest about this sort of thing anyway.

Eloethan Sat 29-Aug-15 11:21:05

Absolutely appalling. What is the government doing about these disgusting laws and practices. Is there a massive outcry from the educated Indian people? If not, there education counts for nothing.

Rape is surely illegal even if a so-called "village council" has made this judgment? There appear to be dozens of cases like this - India really needs to get into the 21st century or, despite being part of the "space race", it will, in my opinion rightly, be viewed as a savage and backward country.

petra The UK is, from this year, no longer giving Aid to India.

annsixty Sat 29-Aug-15 11:18:25

I am truly horrified and have signed.

TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 10:53:00

Thank you Indinana, I have now signed it.

TerriBull Sat 29-Aug-15 10:50:52

It's depressing enough to read about all the horrible things that happen in war zones, particularly the treatment dished out by ISIS to women and girls. I'm absolutely gobsmacked that India, a democracy, can allow these rural kangaroo courts to exist.

Luckgirl, I too am having problems connecting to the petition page.

Indinana Sat 29-Aug-15 10:44:42

Here's the Amnesty International petition.

Indinana Sat 29-Aug-15 10:41:56

Sickening. I'm completely lost for words sad

dustyangel Sat 29-Aug-15 10:35:32

DH showed me this yesterday. Incredible. sad

Luckygirl Sat 29-Aug-15 10:25:49

For some reason my computer will not connect to the petition page of AI - could someone please post it as a link? I will see if that will work. Thanks.