Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn declines to meet the Queen.

(242 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 08-Oct-15 09:35:15

just heard that Corbyn declined to meet the Queen and join the Privy Council.He will be the first Leader of the Opposition to do this, or the first Leader of the Government come to that.Interesting!
Another thing that won't sit well with the voting public, along with not singing the National Anthem ( but lustily singing the red flag song.)
He is keeping to his principles ( as a back bencher) but this can't end well for a would be Leader.

Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 12:39:12

There is no doubt a way in which a republican can join the Privy Council. The "firm" at buck house are good at making things work. In a democracy they would have to make allowances for this. Having said that and having read Luckygirl's link it seems a complete waste of time and money and should be abandoned as far as I can see.

Ana where does it say that Cameron "was sworn just over a week after becoming Tory leader". Everything I have read says three months. Also you say "Strange that no one seems to know what this mysterious 'prior engagement' is..." Apparently it is a private appointment so no business of any of us.

soontobe Thu 08-Oct-15 12:42:28

I do think that he is between a rock and a hard place though POGS.
If he gives in, shifting sands, if he doesnt give in on his issues, he cant realistically get very far I dont think.

Personally I am very glad he is giving in about lots of things.
I care far more about Britian than I do about his own individual principles.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 12:44:10

Gracesgran I read it in today's online Telegraph, but have since been put right by the Daily Mirror and people on here! Apologies for believing a right wing publication...wink

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 12:45:53

soon, please don't use a few words from the bible to support your opinion.

Explain the following - if you had an invite to attend a ceremonial event where the queen is present but had made arrangements to meet another group of people the same day, would you cancel your meeting with the group of people because you think the queen is due more respect ? And if so, why is she due more respect ?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 12:46:05

The Today Programme are obviously not s o well up n the things as you are Ana.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 12:46:46

Oh yes. You've rescinded it.

Ana Thu 08-Oct-15 12:48:10

yes, no need for sarkiness!

Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 12:55:54

Thanks Ana.

Just listening to Daily Politics and apparently DC has been making people he has sacked from government jobs members of the Privy Council. I have to say I feel I must have misheard that but ...

soontobe Thu 08-Oct-15 13:00:45

I think your questions may be deflections Anniebach.

I will answer yours after you might attempt the 10.40am post.
Not that you can answer for JC, but as you come across as defending everything he does, you may be able to answer that post in some way.

POGS Thu 08-Oct-15 13:02:11

Anniebach

I believe soon should write and post exactly 'how she' alone chooses to write and post.

This is a generalied comment . I am tired of soon being taken to task for opening her mouth.

If we all believe we are entitled to our opinions then be graceful enough to allow all GN's the right to write and post as they wish to, 'do as I do' not 'do as I say'.

gillybob Thu 08-Oct-15 13:04:53

I am no royalist but he obviously has principles when it comes to meeting the queen/singing the national anthem etc. but loses them when it comes to defending the likes of Osama Bin Laden.

In my VHO the man is a left wing looney !

Eloethan Thu 08-Oct-15 13:05:35

We don't really know what he is or isn't going to do. A lot of what is said is just speculation and the media will seize on anything Corbyn-related and try and make a big deal about it. In some ways I hope this continues because I've spoken to more and more people who I know are either politically neutral or centre right who are also getting a bit tired of the demonization of JC. It is demonstrating that our mainstream media is far from unbiased.

I read briefly about the Privy Council when there was all the hoo hah as to whether or not JC would join it. From my recollection, it meets rarely and does not perform a particularly vital role. It's probably another of those stupid traditions that people follow blindly, no matter how ridiculous they are.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:05:41

Sorry Ana. I need to stay off of here for a while.

Will sling iPad in the pond.

nigglynellie Thu 08-Oct-15 13:20:12

Nothing wrong with being a loyal subject, we're all allowed to think as we see fit, and 'soon' should feel free to say so without query. Frankly I can't understand why 'soon' still posts on here as just about everything she says is greeted with ridicule, but then of course that is up to her.

POGS Thu 08-Oct-15 13:21:29

Corbyn IS joining the Privy Council.

Why is there a continued blanking of the fact the Privy Council discusses the defence of the realm? Is that trivial to some.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 08-Oct-15 13:25:51

gillybob just to repeat what has been said before, he did not defend Bin Laden, he said he thinks Bin Laden should have been tried and punished, not assassinated. BIG difference.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-15 13:55:47

If you want to know what the privy council does, it is in the link I posted earlier.

My understanding is that you do not have to attend this meeting and kneel to the queen in order to be a member. It can be done by post. Being part of it might put Corbyn in a better position to reform it, which clearly needs doing.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:56:30

And he did have a point there. Although some circumstances, protocol has to go out of the window.

Gracesgran Thu 08-Oct-15 13:58:48

Oh you got there before me WimaKnickersfit.

Please, *gillybob" if you are going to say something as a fact could you make sure it is a fact.

To quote Full Fact who fact check without favour to any party:

Jeremy Corbyn said it was a tragedy he had been killed rather than being arrested and put on trial.

It’s based on comments he made in 2011 after Osama Bin Laden was killed. He said:

“On this [the killing of Osama Bin Laden] there was no attempt whatsoever that I can see to arrest him, to put him on trial, to go through that process. This was an assassination attempt, and is yet another tragedy, upon a tragedy, upon a tragedy. The World Trade Centre was a tragedy, the attack on Afghanistan was a tragedy, the war in Iraq was a tragedy.”

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 13:59:21

If your tired POGS I suggest a rest . Attempting to control what posters choose to write must be tiring , pity that you choose to chastise some but ignore personal comments made by others

gillybob Thu 08-Oct-15 14:00:57

Thanks Wilma I'm like the back end of a cow so missed what was said before. It doesn't change my views though. I don't think there is any defence whatsoever for someone like OBL. What would have happened to him after a trial? Where would he go? Prison? Try explaining this to the families of victims of the 9/11 The Twin Towers.

God help us all with JC in power of there was ever a threat on Britain.

nigglynellie Thu 08-Oct-15 14:03:40

And on it goes, like children in the playground. No wonder some of us are getting off this and other threads while we still have our sanity!

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 14:04:05

The Privy Council has 500 members, should not defence of the realm be in the control of parliament? Truth is the privy council is just another age old ceremonial tradition ,originally set up to advise the monarch how to run the country

Anniebach Thu 08-Oct-15 14:05:27

gillybob, possibly he would have been hanged ?

rosequartz Thu 08-Oct-15 14:19:33

Well I did ask myself the question during the morning whether I would save the Queen or one of my children, if I had to choose. And decided it was my children, just

I have great respect for HM and think the alternative would not be something I would like to see; however, if it the choice was between anybody at all and one of my DC, it would have to be my DC, I wouldn't have to think about it! - unless it was one of my DGC of course.

I still reckon JC is like me - dodgy knees, wouldn't be able to get up again!
Any excuse not to have to kneel grin