Gransnet forums

News & politics

Families where no one has ever worked, nor wanted to, and claim all the benefits they can.

(243 Posts)
Gracesgran Thu 15-Oct-15 19:14:57

Apparently, from comments we see here and in some of the media, we all know these families. Do you? Could you prove it? How do you find out so much about their income etc? How do you know they have never, ever worked.

I heard a politician on the radio describing a constituent he met when he was door knocking during the election. He was told he should sort out the women on the corner. She didn't work but all her kids wore designer clothes. They always have new stuff. They were taking the benefit system for a ride. He needed to sort out that "sort of thing".

The house on the corner was in his constituency so he called. The "women on the corner" turned out to be running a very successful online business from home. They discussed how his party could aid this sort of business.

So, how could a neighbour or even a friend know all the details? Perhaps you do. How did you find out? How do you know it is accurate? When did you report them? What was the outcome.

We are told that so many people abuse the system. How have you dealt with this knowledge and the law that surrounds it?

Galen Mon 29-Feb-16 20:47:32

You could have gone to appeal about the length of the award.
I think that they were harder hearted in the north.
If they had taken medical advice I am sure a longer award would have been given.
The trouble was that the decision makers were lay people who had virtually no training and were told that medical advice was unnecessary and was NOT TO BE REQUESTED.

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 21:26:42

Beside the point. He died in January, 2012 before they asked him to have a review.

The point is that he felt for over ten years, as if he was considered a fraud.
And he shouldn't have. It was just because there was so much suspicion about.
He could be one of the people that those on here are talking about......I know somebody who never worked for fifteen years but he went into pubs.
Usually to sit down, or use the toilet because he'd messed his pants or his legbag needed emptying.
He had to use the disabled toilets because he might fall over using an ordinary one, and I used to have to go in with him. He looked quite normal. I bet lots of people thought he shouldn't be using that toilet.

There are far too many people ready to condemn what they see without knowing the facts.

Today there are five people going to court to challenge the bedroom tax.
A woman who has spina bifida has to pay bedroom tax because her husband is not allowed a bedroom of his own despite the fact that they cannot share a bedroom. She needs a hospital bed, with special equipment and they cannot get another bed in the room. They have a two bedroom flat and have to pay bedroom tax for his bedroom.
They have been turned down by two courts already.

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/29/disabled-people-challenge-bedroom-tax-at-supreme-court

I despair of the country that we are turning into. Someone makes the rules that we have to live by. Someone has turned us into a suspicious nation. Why?

Ana Mon 29-Feb-16 21:46:44

Because we can only go by what we read in the press (not just the DM!) and by our own experiences.

From what you say, it should have been obvious to anyone that your husband was disabled and of course he wasn't singled out for what you consider to be unfair treatment by the authorities.

When ordinary working people are having to tighten their belts because money is scarce and pay-rises are rare, it's human nature to resent those perceived to be 'milking the system'. It's not just this country.

Anya Mon 29-Feb-16 22:09:47

Those who deliberately milk the system, and they do exist, are the one taking money out of a system designed to help those in genuine need, like your late DH DJ.

Someone always has to make the rules. Wasn't it Gandhi who said something about 'enough for everyone's need, but not for everyone's greed' ? And by that I don't mean that those who genuinely need financial help are greedy - those are the needy ones - I'm talking about the fraudsters who take from the needy by manipulating the system.

Galen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:11:41

I'm sorry DJ are you sure all these exams were for the same benefit?
It's unfortunate, but, the different branches don't talk to each other and have slightly different definitions! It drives us crazy as well.
There were in those days at least 3 benefits he could have been claiming.
IVB
DLA
IIDB if it the accident was at work.
These would have necessitated a separate exam for each benefit.
A one year award of DLA would have been very unusual.
The minimum was was usually 2 years

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:17:12

No point.

Ana Mon 29-Feb-16 22:22:10

Why? It isn't always about you. My own DH had multiple problems before he died 18 months ago, but I choose not to post about most family matters on here. I prefer to look at the bigger picture.

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:22:40

Sorry, Galen, that wasn't directed at you.
He claimed incapacity benefit, and DLA.
All the questionnaires and examinations were for DLA.
I have, slowly, thrown out all the paperwork, as it's not something I like to be reminded of.
He died of a brain tumour, anyway, six months after his 65th birthday, so they never called him in again, as they were more interested in getting younger people off the system.

Galen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:23:34

?

Galen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:32:26

Shouldn't have had one every year!
You should have queried or appealed sending medical evidence!
(The people who made the decisions were very poorly trained and told not to ask for medical advice!
Blame Hugh Rossi!
Non of us liked the new allowance and thought the old AA one better. Every claimant was examined by a doctor and the report sent to an especially trained doctor who then sent for extra reports if necessary and then made the decision

Galen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:36:01

My husband died at age 59 from Ca colon. He had had a kidney transplant several years before. The immunosuppressives probably contributed to the cancer

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:42:42

But we didn't know that, did we, Galen?
If they send you a form to fill in, you do as you're told, in case they stop your benefit and leave you with nothing to pay your bills.

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:43:01

Still no point, Ana.

Ana Mon 29-Feb-16 22:47:18

Obviously not to you.

durhamjen Mon 29-Feb-16 22:53:32

Ana, why do you think I resurrected the thread?
My bigger picture is very different to yours.
That's why there's no point in replying to your comments.

Ana Mon 29-Feb-16 23:00:07

It's perhaps a pity you did resurrect it, given the trouble it's caused.

What about Anya's comments? Or is she also on your 'no point in replying' list?

Sigh...

POGS Mon 29-Feb-16 23:11:34

The only thing I am taking onboard from latter posts is this, 'issues ' 'indignancies' 'having to prove your illness was genuine' were there whilst governments of ' all colours ' have been in power and it's a point worth remembering sometimes.

I say that having personal experience of the 'system' from the year 2000 onwards.