Gransnet forums

News & politics

Attacks in Paris

(566 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:34

Watching the news and there have been 2 separate incidents in Paris (one explosion near a football ground and one shoot out at a restaurant.). 4 dead so far. So awful. What is happening?

MariClaire Sat 14-Nov-15 03:25:10

Absolutely horrific attack. And the "terror" lives on, as well. Consider that the operational and geographic scope points to several terrorists operating within the community, living among us for an extended period of time, under the radar. Truly frightening.

How will we fight this insidious evil that pervades all our countries? And keep our freedoms? I also wonder if the terrorists could have quickly activated this well-planned attack in response to the Jihad John killing and re-taking of Sinjar.

My (American) heart goes out to the French people.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 14-Nov-15 06:32:48

Mariclaire I have not heard or read anything that says the terrorists must have been living in the community. None of the experts on the radio have said this. They are however, all are in agreement that the attacks show a level of organisations similar to the Mumbai attack in 2008 and the degree of control shown in the theatre indicates a high level of training e.g. the gunmen reloaded 3 or 4 times before blowing themselves up. I don't think we should jump to conclusions.

Anya Sat 14-Nov-15 07:22:38

I doubt Paris needs to import terrorists it has its own ghettos full of disenfranchised young Muslims, ripe for radicalisation. But, no we ought not to speculate until more is known.

CelticRose Sat 14-Nov-15 07:23:03

Welcome to the club, France.

loopylou Sat 14-Nov-15 07:26:42

Terrible atrocity, it seems the perpetrators aren't identified as yet.
RIP flowers for those massacred.

whitewave Sat 14-Nov-15 08:00:36

Paris the heart of the enlightenment - this must never be dimmed.

annsixty Sat 14-Nov-15 08:15:46

I am numb with it and that scares me, not the act. I have a feeling of inevitability. Will it be London next? I am not fearful , I am resigned and that is so wrong.

loopylou Sat 14-Nov-15 08:18:54

I'm feeling the same annsixty.
It's the feeling that we're impotent, can't do anything, very depressing.

ninathenana Sat 14-Nov-15 08:30:23

Someone posted on FB late last night "pray for Paris" I had no idea what it meant until I saw the paper this morning. The head line does say "Revenge for Jihadi John" but I'm not speculating on the accuracy of that.
To say it's a dreadful atrocity just sounds trite sad

nightowl Sat 14-Nov-15 08:39:39

Son's girlfriend lives and works in the centre of Paris. Can't get hold of him to know whether he's spoken to her. Dreadful dreadful times we are living in.

ninathenana Sat 14-Nov-15 08:39:45

I've just read that the attacks had been planned for a while but were brought forward due to the killing of Jihadi John

Marmark1 Sat 14-Nov-15 08:42:35

with immigration out of control,how the hell do we know whose walking among us.

LullyDully Sat 14-Nov-15 08:45:02

This was very well planned so probably not a result of JJs death. They were trained terrorists due to their tactics and equipment. It is very chilling and worrying. All dead sadly so no one to question. What an evil organisation ISIS is. !!!!

So many innocent people dead.

Iam64 Sat 14-Nov-15 08:48:32

I do hope your son's girlfriend is safe night owl. Yes, dreadful times we are living in. To cause death and terror amongst ordinary people who are out with friends and loved ones doing things they enjoy is just beyond wicked.

Greyduster Sat 14-Nov-15 08:55:08

If this is not a wake up call for us, I don't know what is. There have been at least two terrorist plots uncovered in this country very recently and I think it is the tip of a very large iceberg. We can only hope that our security services are on the ball, but it does add extra weight to the call for them to have access to web and email traffic despite all the human rights activists handwringing there will be about it. Those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to fear. As for these disaffected people who toddle off to Syria to "have an adventure", they must be stripped of their citizenship and not be allowed to return to wreak more havoc.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Nov-15 08:57:29

How much planning does it take to pick up the weapons you've already got, go into an open city and shoot unsuspecting people? Evil bastards.

Greyduster Sat 14-Nov-15 09:00:41

128 people. Dear God!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 14-Nov-15 09:00:55

Putin's got the right idea. Bomb the lot of them. Indiscriminately. All the gun wielding 'rebels' would probably turn on us at the drop of a hat. We can't single out the good from the bad. We need to protect our own.

Marmark1 Sat 14-Nov-15 09:05:35

Something drastic has to be done,bollocks to the do gooders.They target innocent people,they're not human.

elfies Sat 14-Nov-15 09:19:36

So sad ,what is happening to our world

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-Nov-15 09:23:05

Appalling and frightening. And a wake up call to Theresa May - stop slashing our police budgets!! They need all the resources they can get to fight this evil.

Kipper1953 Sat 14-Nov-15 09:29:16

May these innocent people rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to their families and friends. What is happening in the world is frightening. Don't let these people stop us living our lives.

annemac101 Sat 14-Nov-15 09:30:40

I woke up to this awful news. I don't see what deterrents can be put in place as these young men go to these attacks knowing they will kill themselves. I don't see how anyone in their normal mind could do this. Makes me wonder if they are brainwashed and thoughts put into their heads. All those people out enjoying themselves for the evening. I think there is about six places now that we're attacked. It does make me scared to travel to another country now which is of course what it is supposed to do.

Primrose Sat 14-Nov-15 09:36:28

My thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been killed and wounded and to all their family and friends. So very sad.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-15 09:38:05

Horrific