Gransnet forums

News & politics

Attacks in Paris

(566 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 13-Nov-15 21:38:34

Watching the news and there have been 2 separate incidents in Paris (one explosion near a football ground and one shoot out at a restaurant.). 4 dead so far. So awful. What is happening?

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-15 09:47:06

Jen, I am a member of Hope not Hate smile

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-15 09:50:55

Whitewave, you must learn not to think of displaced people,innocent people, children, just think collateral damage .

merlotgran Fri 20-Nov-15 09:55:44

And now.....A hotel in Mali. There's no end to it sad

Alea Fri 20-Nov-15 10:25:18

I think we need to take a deep breath and reconcile ourselves to more of the same.

TerriBull Sun 22-Nov-15 14:36:55

Having read an article in The Sunday Times today regarding the Paris terrorists it seems that a few of them embraced excesses of a Western lifestyle, drugs and casual sexual partnerships. Are these not deemed haram? which I believe means forbidden in Islam. Allegedly the young man on the run frequented gay clubs and is gay himself. It seems unbelievable therefore that anyone of that persuasion would align themselves to a version of a religion that dishes out such awful punishments to anyone they suspect of being a homosexual. It's hard to understand their mindset per se, but particularly when they have not observed the draconian beliefs which they wish to import and inflict on the rest of us. Hypocrites!

petra Sun 22-Nov-15 14:49:58

TerriBull. Your post suggests that this pond life thinks. It doesn't, it's like a jelly fish, it operates on muscle spasm.

TerriBull Sun 22-Nov-15 15:14:05

I would elevate their status to pond life petra.

I just don't get their rationale, they partake of everything they purport to despise. Some have lived in Syria where they lord it over the indigenous population and punish them so harshly for minor transgressions.

I'm on the wrong thread for this, but I'm so glad Andrew Neil said what he did about them.

Stansgran Sun 22-Nov-15 15:36:30

I wish I could remember where I saw or heard that the jihadists were the misfits in society, the equivalent of New York or Los Angeles gang members. It may have been in the huffing ton post. I think there is an element of truth. Didn't the 911bombers avail themselves of prostitutes before they set off. They seem to have easy access to drugs(as in enough money)

granjura Sun 22-Nov-15 18:45:53

Well this guy is no left wing sissy, ex US marine makes interesting comments:

youtu.be/uziurhZotFI

TriciaF Sun 22-Nov-15 19:25:25

Leftwing sissy? Watch your language Granjura wink

Alea Sun 22-Nov-15 19:57:12

Do the two , left wing and sissy necessarily follow?

granjura Sun 22-Nov-15 21:47:40

Not in my mind- but in many ;)

Iam64 Mon 23-Nov-15 06:57:22

Ed Hussein is someone who formerly supported Isil/jihad but is now equally opposed to it. I heard him interviewed recently, I think he said it's about 4 or 5 years since he rejected terrorism. He talked about finally realising and accepting that he's gay.
He blames his radicalisation on family life, although his parents were not jihadi they were devout and disliked western values. He said he grew up with these powerful influences which led him to believing jihad was the only way to live. He claimed that within his family and wider culture, there is no acceptance of homosexuality. He was brought up to believe homosexuals were either mentally ill or very bad people so repressed his own feelings until very recently.
Reports in the press this weekend about the key individuals in the Paris atrocity reminded me of this young man.

gillybob Mon 23-Nov-15 08:11:36

Perhaps Iam64 most of it boils down to the failure of many Muslim families to integrate into normal everyday society. But surely it is up to the young people to promote change, not to become radicalized.

durhamjen Fri 15-Jan-16 12:49:37

This is interesting.

tompride.wordpress.com/2016/01/15/paris-attacks-not-designated-as-terrorism-by-uk-government-to-save-money/

The Paris attacks were not terrorist attacks according to the government.
I wonder what they were? Friendly fire?