Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump - just not fringe or funny anymore !?!

(218 Posts)
granjura Wed 09-Dec-15 12:21:29

Anyone else seriously concerned at the rise of Trump in the USA? It seems that the more extreme, the more crazy, the more fascist he and his 'solutions' become- the more his ratings go up. You would have thought that people would begin to think he is a loose and dangerous canon- but no- they love him all the more.

My mother was studying German at Munich University in 1933- and this is exactly what she described.

And we can't just say 'this is the USA' and it has little to do with us. We have no vote of course- but we certainly live in the same crazy world.

youtu.be/_rMsgmaBV8g

Monthy Python- they knew how to recognize a witch- but how on earth do you recognize a 'Muslim' ???

AlieOxon Sat 30-Apr-16 15:12:09

I just signed the petition (link in December).
I have a horrible feeling about this man.

Trump, Putin and a clown PM?

I also just looked up the 'Peter Principle'. that the one that says that people get promoted to their level of incompetence..............
See him as President? OMG. Chaos?

durhamjen Tue 22-Mar-16 19:30:39

Didn't expect this.

indy100.independent.co.uk/article/donald-trump-actually-said-this-when-asked-if-hed-use-a-nuclear-weapon--WkuqljJJlb?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100>

Still wouldn't vote for him, though.

granjura Sat 05-Mar-16 17:13:23

Roses:

They would decide things by a bout of arm wrestling!

Unfortunately they will both have thier finger on the nuclear button- with what'shis face from North Korea too sad sad sad

durhamjen Sat 05-Mar-16 15:27:56

theconversation.com/donald-trumps-grandfather-was-an-illegal-migrant-and-trojan-horse-54749

Interesting. I wonder if they'd been allowed to stay in Germany whether Trump would be involved in German politics.

mummyagain Thu 03-Mar-16 21:08:18

Oh god, and also what if bojo is our next pm? Him and trump, joining forses - imagine shock

NotTooOld Thu 03-Mar-16 19:29:43

From what I've heard on the news today it seems dangerously likely that Trump could end up as President now. Who'd have thought it? This may have been said elsewhere but I'm very sorry that Obama did not manage to achieve more than he did. I've read his books and he comes across as a very caring human being.

Envious Wed 02-Mar-16 23:48:08

I heard on the news tonight thousands of Americans have gone on a Canadian government website to learn how to move to Canada.

rosesarered Wed 02-Mar-16 23:13:21

They would decide things by a bout of arm wrestling!

mummyagain Wed 02-Mar-16 20:37:24

I haven't read all the comments but can you imagine trump and Putin - in the same room - negotiating?!
shock

Jalima Wed 02-Mar-16 20:33:20

That makes it even more worrying - Piers Morgan thinks he is OK shock

petra Wed 02-Mar-16 20:24:27

He does wear beautiful white shirts, though!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 02-Mar-16 19:26:04

Piers Morgan seems to have a different opinion on Trump than the rest of us.

scroll along to about 01.09

rosesarered Sun 28-Feb-16 23:01:13

with the added plus pompa of not having to join in any singsongs or take part in a knobbly knees contest.

POGS Sun 28-Feb-16 20:26:43

grin.

pompa Sun 28-Feb-16 20:25:02

I can't comment on Greece, but I do know what the accommodation for workers at our local farm are like, basic, but clean and comfortable (probably better than Butlins was a few years ago)

POGS Sun 28-Feb-16 19:38:16

You should see the conditions some migrants live in when working on agricultural fields in GREECE. Worse than the Calais camps and I am not joking . No doubt it is the same in other countries but we don't get to see nor hear about it.

Somebody asked if anybody had watched the recent BBC program on Greece, I did. I knew most of the points raised but some were quite an eye opener. It was hard to remember this was a program documenting conditions in a European Union country.

It's worth remembering the car washes that have sprung up over the past few years are part of the UK's Black Economy and also the chemicals used go into the drainage system which is a problem too.. There is opposition to them by the regulated bodies , naturally.

I realise you were being light hearted in your thread Pompa, sorry if I appear snotty. Really nice to see you posting again.

pompa Sun 28-Feb-16 16:45:07

Thanks for that info Riverbank, that would influence my EU decision. I will speak to our local farm manager to see what difference it would make, they employ large numbers of migrant workers during the season. They used to employ local and holiday workers, but no one wants that type of work nowadays, our family used to pick/eat strawberries when we were younger.

durhamjen Sun 28-Feb-16 16:22:15

Yes, pompa, such a worry.

Riverwalk Sun 28-Feb-16 15:56:57

Farmers have long been able to hire seasonal workers on special visas so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for worrying about car-washers ...... it's a reminder of how much of a low-wage economy the UK has become.

obieone Sun 28-Feb-16 15:38:14

Anyone else thinking that some people "need" migrant workers, for wrong reasons? Heck.

Ana Sun 28-Feb-16 15:15:40

Yes, it must be such a worry...hmm

durhamjen Sun 28-Feb-16 15:07:46

My car as well, pompa. Never thought of that. Very efficient and I can do my shopping at the same time.

pompa Sun 28-Feb-16 12:34:05

Petra, the subject of that film is much closer to home. If we leave the EU, many of this countries agricultural areas would be hard pressed to find sufficient pickers for their crops, this is certainly true in our village and many parts of East Anglia. AND most important of all, where would I get my car cleaned ???

I doubt Trump can think past his own naval.

petra Sat 27-Feb-16 16:43:10

If you get the chance to see a film called 'Love a Latino' watch it.
It's a spoof about all the Mexican workers in California being kidnapped by aliens. California collapses without all the migrant workers, hilarious.

Jalima Sat 27-Feb-16 15:08:50

shakes head in despair (not at your DGS, at Americans I hasten to add!).

However, I will say that we have no desire to go back to America, although I am sure the DGC would love the Disney theme place.