Gransnet forums

News & politics

Winners and Losers

(126 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 31-Dec-15 00:11:32

"Property prices help Britain's richest to increase wealth gap" (Guardian 19.12.15):

"Britain’s richest households have pulled further ahead of the rest of the population as house prices have accelerated, with the top 10% now owning almost half of the country’s £11.1tn total private wealth.

".....Since the previous survey two years earlier, the top tenth of households had seen a 21% increase in their wealth ..."

" .... It left the top tenth of households owning 45% of total wealth, while the bottom half were left to share just 9%. The poorest 1%, meanwhile, owned just 0.05% of wealth."

Meanwhile:

"Wages fall in value by 13% since 2008". (The I Dec 15)

"Private rents soars faster than house prices and hit record high of £789 per month" (This is Money July 2015)

Record number of homeless families in "out of area" temporary accommodation (The Guardian Dec 14)

"London housing crisis forces young professionals to share bedrooms" (International Business Times June 15)

Anya Sat 02-Jan-16 15:22:00

Fulminate:
express vehement protest.
"all fulminated against the new curriculum"
synonyms:protest, rail, rage, rant, thunder, storm, declaim, inveigh, speak out, make/take a stand;

wink

Tegan Sat 02-Jan-16 17:36:19

I don't see 'left wingers' as people who think all Conservatives are evil, because they are just as likely to question their own parties policies if they feel that it they are detrimental to society in general. At least, the ones I know are like that. And they don't just accept the concept of 'we know it hurts but it's good for you'. Maybe I'm just naïve sad.

Elegran Sat 02-Jan-16 17:37:29

Not all of them do, Tegan

Anniebach Sat 02-Jan-16 17:52:12

I like Ken Clarke,

Tegan Sat 02-Jan-16 18:00:13

Absolutely; top man. Don't know of anyone that doesn't respect him.

durhamjen Wed 06-Jan-16 23:08:25

Last year sometime there was something about private members bills and filibustering. There was an epetition on the government website.
Today I had an email from Parliament about a meeting of the procedural committee where it was discussed. The chair of the committee appeared to want to get rid of private members bills altogether.
It was interesting to find out that those who filibuster do so under the parliamentary whip quite regularly, so the government even controls private members bills.

www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/6f6ec4f7-563f-49f3-9687-98b8d279b474

I think we are all going to be losers if this happens. The only bills that will be discussed will be government bills, whatever the colour of the government.

durhamjen Fri 08-Jan-16 23:19:42

Some good news at last.

"The Electoral Commission have today announced that the British National Party has been struck off as a political party after it failed to renew its registration.

That means that it cannot stand candidates in elections or be considered a political party any more. This is a huge humiliation for the fascist party and reflects its demise in recent years."

From hopenothate.

Anniebach Sat 09-Jan-16 09:29:47

Many of it's members have moved to UKIP or the EDL but at least the EDL isn't political party

durhamjen Thu 21-Jan-16 21:35:19

Did anyone else watch the programme about Crickhowell last night?
A fair tax town, the main man has now started a petition to get himself appointed as the next chief executive of HMRC, after the last one messed up and was made a dame for her troubles.

www.change.org/p/consider-steve-lewis-for-next-chief-executive-of-hmrc-board-peoplestaxman

An interesting idea.
Is your town a Fair Tax Town now?

durhamjen Sat 23-Jan-16 16:23:47

Here's an interesting bit of research.

www.globalresearch.ca/the-truth-about-poverty-in-britain-is-much-worse-than-you-think/5502783

"The top 10% of UK workers earn £79,196. But the truth here is that this also includes the earnings of the top 1%, meaning the next 9% don’t really earn that figure.

What is grotesque is the next number that should shock everyone. The average pay of the next 90%, (by stripping out all earnings of the top 10%, including the 1% and 0.1% groups) leaves an annual income of just £12,969. Yes, you read that right. Stripping out the top 10% of average pay, leaves just £12,969 average pay for the remaining 90% of the population."

The research figures are two years out of date, so the figures now will be worse, not better.

durhamjen Sun 31-Jan-16 10:59:21

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/fifty-tories-line-up-to-defy-david-cameron-over-town-hall-cuts-a6843736.html

Why did it take them so long?
Hadn't they worked it out before?
If fifty Tory MPs rebelled when it was debated in parliament it would not have been passed.
I like the way they say there's still a need for cuts, but not in my constituency. It should just be in those awful Labour ones.

durhamjen Thu 04-Feb-16 19:26:54

I have just heard today that 45% of those having motability vehicles have lost them when changing from DLA to PIP.

Iain Duncan Smith obviously thinks it acceptable, along with all these other things he has got wrong.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/02/04/all-the-times-iain-duncan-smith-has-got-it-badly-wrong

Galen Thu 04-Feb-16 19:38:32

What has happened is that mobA meant that that you could walk less than 50metres. PIP enhanced rate which gives motability means that you can walk less than 20metres
Quite a difference

durhamjen Thu 04-Feb-16 22:28:51

Yes, there was a big argument about that when it was suggested. I thought it was going to be changed, but obviously not.

114,000 people have had their motability cars taken away.
Quite appalling.
There were maps to show how far 20 metres was from the front door. If you could walk to your motability car, you didn't qualify in some cases.

I have just heard that the DWP is getting advice from a director of Amazon, a company that doesn't pay its taxes.
If anyone else wishes to object to that, you know what to do.

Anniebach Thu 04-Feb-16 23:38:11

A young woman with MS and another disability had to give up her vehicle, perhaps IDS believes she will make a full recovery . That man disgusts me

durhamjen Fri 05-Feb-16 00:28:40

www.welfareweekly.com/union-slams-secret-dwp-plan-privatise-vital-access-work-scheme/

Here's another brainless idea from IDS.
It really is time he lost his job. He has so many idiotic ideas and they just cause chaos for claimants.
How can DWP work be privatised?

Anniebach Fri 05-Feb-16 09:56:01

I think because IDS failed miserably as party leader he is determined to succeed at his welfare reforms , he has no problem with who is hurt/harmed , the man is obsessed with proving to himself that he can succeed at something , he is a danger

durhamjen Fri 05-Feb-16 18:18:48

I'd actually forgotten he was the Tory leader at one time.
The quiet man, who is going to shout loudly about leaving Europe. I bet everyone else in the cabinet told him to shut up on that one.

Anniebach Fri 05-Feb-16 23:07:54

The quiet man is turning up the column - Tory party conference , he received much applause for this, then they got shot of him

durhamjen Sat 06-Feb-16 23:17:07

The quiet man is an idiot. He has just appointed an Amazon executive to be a non-executive director of the DWP.
People who use the DWP are just seen as commodities by this government.
The lead non-executive is someone who used to be a director of the London Stock Exchange.
Non-execs are given £15,000, with the lead getting an extra £5,000.
How much is an unemployed person supposed to be able to live on?

Anniebach Sun 07-Feb-16 10:35:44

I fear we are in for many years of the same, thousands have lost their right to vote, boundaries will soon be changed

durhamjen Sun 07-Feb-16 19:52:29

Just waiting for someone to say we get the government we deserve, Anniebach. We do not deserve this shower.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/05/tory-mp-mark-spencer-starve-dark_n_6622468.html

I saw part of this debate last Wednesday. It does not matter how many examples other MPs gave them of people suffering because of cuts already made and sanctions imposed, there are still Tory spokesmen who say the workless or poor get everything they deserve.

Just read somewhere that Cameron might give up straight after the referendum which would trigger a snap election. Others say rubbish. He will not resign and it will not trigger an election even if he does.
I am not sure what to wish for.

Anniebach Sun 07-Feb-16 21:27:09

When Wilson resigned several MP's stood for election of party leader , who ever was elected became PM, - it was Callahan, it was the party which won the election not the leader, I suppose it's the same rules now

durhamjen Wed 10-Feb-16 23:01:03

www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/10/housing-prices--conservative-mp-william-wragg-back-home-to-mum

Anyone feel sorry for him?

Anniebach Thu 11-Feb-16 10:11:21

Noooooooo, he should speak to his party leader about all these affordable houses being built and then ask how people on the minimum wage can buy a house