Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social Housing

(154 Posts)
Jackthelad Mon 25-Jan-16 10:02:23

What exactly is social housing? It is much mentioned by the politico's but to my mind is not defined to have any real meaning. Is it the new name for a council House, if so why not say so? Doing a little research I see the average wage is about £25,000 pa. From this the amount of a mortgage available for that amount of salary is £118,500 approx.. I am informed by local estate agents that there has been a return to the old way of only allowing a mortgage against one persons earnings and the repayments must not exceed one weeks income in four.
Where can anyone go and find any sort of house under these conditions?
If any Gransnetter has better information than I have I would be curious to learn it

durhamjen Mon 20-Feb-17 09:41:21

Daphne, more detail about the pretend social housing to be built.

speye.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/bond-markets-now-controls-social-housing-thanks-to-tory-policy/

daphnedill Mon 20-Feb-17 10:13:33

That's what's been happening in this area for over a year. I couldn't understand how the council could afford to build new houses, then I looked into it and discovered it was because the council was borrowing via its newly formed private company.

durhamjen Thu 23-Feb-17 20:18:41

This is worth reading, youngsters trying to stop B&Bs being used for homeless families.

www.24housing.co.uk/news/calls-to-end-use-of-bbs-for-homeless-families/