Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queen's official residences to undergo £37m tourism revamp

(30 Posts)
Elegran Tue 05-Apr-16 09:48:14

Queen's official residences to undergo £37m tourism revamp The transformations are aimed at giving the public greater access to two of the Queen's official residences.

Before anyone get hot under the collar thinking that they as taxpayers will be funding this, here is a quote from the website of The Royal collection
"The care and conservation of the Royal Collection is funded entirely by Royal Collection Trust, a registered charity, with income raised from the public opening of Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace and the Palace of Holyroodhouse, and from associated trading activities. This income also supports educational activities, loans and projects to increase public access and enjoyment. The activities of Royal Collection Trust are undertaken without recourse to public funds."
(from the www.royalcollection.org.uk/about/frequently-asked-questions page. I looked it up for you so that you don't need to waste your anger)

MaizieD Thu 07-Apr-16 10:48:57

Give me a monarchy over a president any day. At least you know exactly what you're getting. Fancy the embarrassment of Donald Trump as your head of state!

(But musing on whether the Queen has any dealings with offshore tax havens...)

Elegran Thu 07-Apr-16 11:00:51

sunshinesunshinesunshinesunshinesunshine

Eloethan Thu 07-Apr-16 20:10:36

As I understand it, the US presidential model is defined as an "executive" one and is partisan. It is not the only model available. There can also be a non-partisan head of state, such as is found in Ireland.

America rejected the rule of the British and its monarchy. Who exactly could have taken on the role of monarch? Or is it suggested that their bid for independence was a retrograde step and that they would be better off being ruled by a monarch situated several thousand miles away? Our monarch continues to be sovereign over 15 countries, also situated many thousands of miles away. Is that a desirable situation?

Jalima Thu 07-Apr-16 20:44:57

Our monarch continues to be sovereign over 15 countries, also situated many thousands of miles away. Is that a desirable situation?
Well, it depends if those countries desire it or not.

They could always have a referendum as Australia did.