Gransnet forums

News & politics

The steel debacle

(34 Posts)
whitewave Wed 06-Apr-16 09:49:22

Piss up in a brewery springs to mind when looking at the governments efforts over the Tata sale.

Their incompetence where there is anything to do with commercial and economic management is beginning to seriously bad.

whitewave Wed 06-Apr-16 20:54:00

It fits so far in the UK there is no record of poor quality Chinese steel being used in important projects and that is what is important.

annodomini Wed 06-Apr-16 22:14:45

On the One show tonight there was a feature on the ongoing construction of the new Forth Road Bridge. A question was asked about the use of British steel. The answer was that the bulk of the steel used was of Chinese origin and that no British based company had tendered for the supply. No comment was invited or made about the relative quality of British and Chinese steel. I think more questions should be asked, especially by the Scottish Government.

durhamjen Wed 06-Apr-16 23:58:18

"Javid’s meeting in India came as the archbishop of Wales, Barry Morgan, warned about the social and economic costs if the Port Talbot plant closes and criticised the government’s inaction.

“It raises the question of an industrial strategy for the UK, since steel is the foundation of the manufacturing base of this country and affects many other industries,” he said.

Dr Morgan, who is also bishop of the Diocese of Llandaff, which includes Port Talbot, said: “I am not an economist but it is a fact that business rates in the steel industry in the UK are much higher than in other parts of the EU and energy costs per ton of steel made in the UK are more than double those of Germany.”

“The danger is that if all steelmaking plants are closed, once they are gone, the price of steel will increase and that will have far reaching repercussions on our economy and industry.” "

This is interesting from the Archbishop of Wales. It's the economists who do not care, the ones who have a PPE and are running the country. Maybe they should take notice of the Archbishop. We do not have an industrial strategy any more.

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 06:46:50

I have a cousin with PPE from Oxford he always said that he wished he'd done a different degree.

thatbags Thu 07-Apr-16 07:17:44

Yes, indeed, anno! Especially if there is no good quality Chinese steel available, which is what it seems we are being told. But perhaps it isn't as simple as that?

whitewave Thu 07-Apr-16 08:59:54

Jarvis reminds me of Chamberlain coming back to the UK waving a piece of paper saying we have bought time. Well good for him, we know how well that went.

durhamjen Tue 12-Apr-16 23:21:19

theconversation.com/nine-ways-steel-could-build-a-greener-economy-57506

This is an interesting idea, a good way to solve the steel problem.

durhamjen Tue 19-Apr-16 23:30:13

Talk of a management buyout today at Port Talbot.
I do hope so. Better than any other plan so far.