Gransnet forums

News & politics

A grandma has given birth to triplets !!

(64 Posts)
Spidergran5 Wed 06-Apr-16 09:50:23

Just read that a 55 year old grandma has given birth to triplets www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/05/pgrandmother-age-55-gives-birth-to-triplets/

Rather her than me!!

Alima Wed 06-Apr-16 09:53:19

Makes me tired just thinking about it. Selfish woman.

diddy Wed 06-Apr-16 10:32:21

Having 3 teenagers when you're 70 would be very hard going if you survive that long !!

littlefierce Wed 06-Apr-16 10:36:12

Technically she's young enough for this to have happened naturally as menopause is so variable. Wouldn't be something I'd choose, but wouldn't judge her either. What really irritates me is that men of this age who father children rarely get criticised.

ninathenana Wed 06-Apr-16 11:33:52

I wouldn't criticise, it's her choice. I do feel sorry for the babies when they're older and I take your point littlefierce regarding older fathers.
I do however think she's mad grin

obieone Wed 06-Apr-16 11:56:56

Dad is 40. With that in mind, I suppose it is up to her.

Desdemona Wed 06-Apr-16 11:58:04

I had a baby at 42.

Seemed a good idea (and it was really, because I adore my little girl, she is gorgeous and very rewarding!)

However, having a child who is barely 6 when you are approaching 50 is no joke!! Thank god I have an elder daughter who at 28 is more able to run around after her than me, and helps me a lot (I hope to repay the favour when she has children........although I think colouring books and a bit of light baking might suit me better then!)

How a woman in her fifties would cope with triplets is beyond me!!!!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Apr-16 12:13:49

I had mine at 43. Best thing ever.

But 55... I was talking about it earlier on BBC Newcastle and about to do the same on BBC Northern Ireland. The story (front page of Sun) is worth a read

annsixty Wed 06-Apr-16 12:32:59

My friend told me last night her D who was 45 last month is pregnant(planned) my friend is very anxious and torn between happy and not keen.

sweetcakes Wed 06-Apr-16 13:16:55

Shudder. No thanksconfused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 13:24:38

So, her and the partner have good lucrative jobs? And how long does she think she can work and look after three babies? Oh yes! She will put them in daycare at taxpayers' expense. The IVF debt will be paid off in a couple of years? How long before she's on benefits? hmm

Are they the current husband's children? If not, how long will a forty year old stick around with an aging mother of three babies?

Rubbish all round. Silly woman.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 13:25:57

45 is ok annsixty. (Nature says yes)

whitewave Wed 06-Apr-16 13:36:05

I hope that when she is 75 or 80 she doesn't expect her 20-25 year olds to rally around after her. Their lives will be just beginning!

thatbags Wed 06-Apr-16 14:09:57

I had Minibags, all naturally, when I was six weeks short of 45. It's been great!

thatbags Wed 06-Apr-16 14:11:40

In the past, I expect quite a few twenty-five year olds had to rally round and look after parents. My grandmother had to support her mother and her younger sister from the age of nineteen. She had nine older siblings but they all had kids of their own to support on low wages by then.

TriciaF Wed 06-Apr-16 14:22:00

Our neighbour here, already a Gran, had a baby at 55, and another at 57. The father is the same age.
Turned out very sadly as they split up, she got custody. No idea how they're all doing now as they went back to the UK.

Spidergran5 Wed 06-Apr-16 14:27:01

Not sure how putting them in childcare would be at the taxpayer's expense jinglbellsfrocks, surely it would be at her expense? I would definitely be putting them in childcare to get some peace and quiet at work!

Stansgran Wed 06-Apr-16 14:33:21

I haven't read the full story but I thought with multiple births you get extra help. I know our local further education college which trained nursery nurses used to offer help free of charge . Don't know whether they still do. Depends how fit you are. As someone said plenty of men fathering children at that age and beyond and people don't condemn(though they should)

f77ms Wed 06-Apr-16 15:00:27

Where is this free childcare then ? my dils pay £50 a day nursery fees and they are not big earners , 2 days looked after by GPs or they would not be able to afford to work ! Anyway it is not all about money and benefits , more about exhaustion I would think at that age . Good luck to her I say>
I think you do get a bit of help with multiples but it is not much and not for long . ( unless the gov have stopped that too)

Pittcity Wed 06-Apr-16 15:04:59

Janet Jackson has announced that she is expecting at 49. She is married to a billionaire though!

Witzend Wed 06-Apr-16 15:41:54

I recently heard of someone who was expecting triplets aged 52 or 3. It was natural, no IVF, and she had never been pregnant before.

Greyduster Wed 06-Apr-16 16:01:24

She will be 64 when they are the same age as my GS! Three of them!! Well, jolly good luck with that!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 06-Apr-16 16:29:19

There might not be any statutory financial help available, but I think this mother will have to be bailed out sooner or later. And f77ms, money will be the important factor here.

PRINTMISS Wed 06-Apr-16 16:35:46

Perhaps IVF should not be made available for women over a certain age - although there is probably some law or other about people's rights regarding that. Having a child naturally at a later age is another thing altogether, it is what nature planned.

sweetcakes Wed 06-Apr-16 16:36:21

Rolling Stones Ronnie Wood at 68 is becoming a father again with his much younger wife at 37 she's expecting twins so how old is to old for a man ??
And what's it going to be like for those twins when In their teenage years their dad gets mistaken for their great grandfather!