Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hillsborough verdict

(220 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 26-Apr-16 08:24:44

The jury will return their verdict today . I hope the families of the victims finally have justice.

nigglynellie Fri 29-Apr-16 18:46:51

This is exactly why more investigation is needed. I just don't know Jingle, it's very difficult to speculate, but it could well be that if there's a trial he could be found not guilty. There is still along way to go before a complete conclusion is reached, and until then?!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 18:50:43

A different judge could come up with an entirely different conclusion. Judges don't always agree, not by a long way.

nigglynellie Fri 29-Apr-16 19:04:19

A different jury also could!

daphnedill Fri 29-Apr-16 21:04:07

As I posted a few pages back, the burden of proof in a criminal trial is different from an inquest. That doesn't mean that the facts which the inquest discovered are wrong, but that a jury in a criminal trial needs to be convinced that a defendant is guilty 'beyond reasonable doubt', which isn't the case in an inquest.

Unless there's new evidence, the 'unlawful killing' verdict stands, which means it wasn't an accident, even though it might not be proved who was responsible. Duckenfield was negligent, even if he can't be proved to be criminally responsible. Liverpool fans have been exonerated of blame and that stands too.

Judges don't decide who's guilty in inquests or trials.

daphnedill Fri 29-Apr-16 21:05:29

Jalima, I'm too tired to answer your questions. Just read the thread and you'll find your answers.

daphnedill Fri 29-Apr-16 21:16:28

nn: "The only clear reprehensible action on the part of the Police was that after the event they deliberately made a consertive effort to cover up mistakes they'd made. "

NO! You're wrong! (Fact - not opinion) Read the evidence!

jinglebells: It's quite obvious you don't know the difference between an inquest and a trial if you that the judge's conclusion matters. Nobody's going to look silly if a trial decides that Duckenfield isn't criminally guilty, because inquests and trials have different roles to play.

Frankly, Anya, your opinion of me doesn't bother me one little bit. If it takes rudeness (so-called) to attack misinformed prejudices, so be it. I'd love to know in what way you think I'm blinkered about this matter (well, maybe I would if I had nothing better to do.)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-Apr-16 21:23:03

What was it Zebedee said?

Anniebach Fri 29-Apr-16 21:29:36

I think the following could have influence on a criminal prosecution

In 2,000 the families brought a private prosecution against Duckenfield and Brian Murrry. Murrry was found not guilty but the jury could not reach a verdict, on Duckingfield he got off. There was an appeal for a re trial but the judge refused.

Rather a lot of judges involved over the years !

petra Fri 29-Apr-16 22:17:15

I think that Duckenfield will be charged, but like Lord Jenner will be found unfit to face a trail.

Anniebach Fri 29-Apr-16 22:24:29

Who knows what names he could bring up, I agree, he will not get to court

Jalima Fri 29-Apr-16 23:55:46

Jalima, I'm too tired to answer your questions. Just read the thread and you'll find your answers
but not too tired to continue posting.

Perhaps it's time for moon

Jalima Fri 29-Apr-16 23:59:38

Wouldn't a new jury be told to disregard that though anniebach?

Difficult, but the judge should direct a jury properly.
The findings of the recent inquest shed a completely different light on what happened.

Juggernaut Sat 30-Apr-16 00:19:10

Anya,
There are no rose tinted spectacles on me!
You went to one match, I went to hundreds, so I think I have a better understanding of the level of 'violence' and threatening behaviour than you do! Shouting to opposing fans "I'll rip your f***in' head off if I get over there" sounds awful, but is just rivalry between fans. Many fans shout obscenities at the opposing fans/players, even the referee, it doesn't make them violent, it's part of the atmosphere!
Maybe if you'd chosen to attend more than one match, you would have discovered that for yourself!

Anniebach Sat 30-Apr-16 08:14:53

Is it really possibly to disregard what we have read, heard or seen Jalima? I would not be able to. May not discuss it with fellows jurors but things cannot be wiped from the mind

petra Sat 30-Apr-16 08:25:05

The judge can direct 'till he/she is blue in the face, but once you know something, you can't un- know it.

Anniebach Sat 30-Apr-16 08:33:15

Just so Petra,

Juggernaut Sun 01-May-16 10:55:54

nigglynellie
I wasn't 'lucky', I was in Liverpool, where fans may do a lot of shouting and 'mouthing off' at one another, but where actual violence was a rarity!
Liverpool and Everton fans may give one another a lot of 'verbal' but that's where it ends!

fanbrits Thu 05-May-16 17:49:53

Justice must always be fought

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 17:54:22

for?