Gransnet forums

News & politics

Child refugees

(170 Posts)
JessM Thu 28-Apr-16 20:37:03

There is growing pressure on the government to do its bit to help the EU look after unaccompanied child refugees, currently in Greece, Calais, Macedonia and other locations.
Some of them have lost parents during their flight. Some have relatives in this country who would like to give them a home if David Cameron would allow them into the UK. All of them are at risk.
It is thought that large numbers are disappearing - possibly being abused and exploited.
Please see this article in The Guardian, written by a Tory MP - one of the ones who voted against the government on this issue, earlier this week.
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/27/refugees-children-at-risk-voted-tory-whip-stephen-phillips

Yvette Cooper and Alf Dubs are doing a sterling job keeping this issue live in Westminster. Yvette made a powerful speech - see link.

leftfootforward.org/2016/04/watch-yvette-cooper-shame-david-cameron-on-child-refugees-at-pmqs/
Here is a link to the petition being promoted by Alf Dubs and Yvette
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/128833

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 10:19:07

I signed when I got notification in an email, so don't think it'll count if I sign again confused. But I'm willing to have a go wink. It came with a request to send an email to my local MP encouraging him to vote for - but since my MP is Owen Patterson that's dead in the water!

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 10:20:56

Just tried and it wouldn't let me sign again sad

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 10:29:25

I've put it on my fb page

durhamjen Sat 30-Apr-16 10:57:03

I'd love to know how Cameron thinks we can get 3000 unaccompanied children from the camps around Syria.
The children there are usually with family.
It wouldn't be one of his usual cons, would it?
Doesn't he know it's the children around Calais who have no family with them?
Idiot!

trisher Sat 30-Apr-16 11:55:30

Signed and shared on facebook.

Anniebach Sat 30-Apr-16 12:01:13

Agree Jen, it's the many children with no parents, no country which .Cameron is refusing to give shelter to

Firecracker123 Sat 30-Apr-16 12:02:16

The children in Calais are in France a safe place, it's up to the French to give them help.

Badenkate Sat 30-Apr-16 12:29:39

Unfortunately Firecracker, Calais doesn't seem to be a safe place at all for unaccompanied children www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/13/calais-youths-the-unaccompanied-minors-left-in-political-limbo

Iam64 Sat 30-Apr-16 12:30:17

I wasn't going to add my signed and shared but your all heart and misinformed post prompted me to do so Firecracker.
The children are not safe. Many are going missing, the risk of child sexual exploitation is high. This is a world wide problem, why should 'the French' be left to manage this dreadful situation?

JessM Sat 30-Apr-16 13:00:11

If you have/had teenaged grandchildren FIrecracker123 would you be happy for them to go camping alone to the refugee camps in France?

durhamjen Sat 30-Apr-16 13:02:17

You are living in a different world to me, Firecracker.

Anniebach Sat 30-Apr-16 13:43:32

In camps in a country alien to them, a safe place? do you have grandchildren firecracker? Would you be happy to say the same of them?

BeeWitch Sat 30-Apr-16 14:44:38

Signed - total 62,670 just now ...

Firecracker123 Sat 30-Apr-16 16:12:44

I live in the real world, Britain would be a country alien to them as well. I feel sorry for them obviously but why can't France look after these minors, make sure they are safe and housed properly. If we take them it will encourage more to come. They have passed through safe places prior to reaching Calais.

durhamjen Sat 30-Apr-16 17:22:07

www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/29/they-are-falling-apart-the-fate-of-lone-children-in-calais-refugee-camp

This is the real world for them, Firecracker.
Even the Daily Mail says there are 169 children in Calais who have family in the UK, and we are not letting them come here.

Your real world is heartless.

trisher Sat 30-Apr-16 17:53:34

Oh I am sure there are hundreds, if not thousands, of children who are sitting waiting to find out if the children in the camps are being taken in by us, and no doubt they will all set out on the perilous journey across land and sea to get here Firecracker123. Your real world is not my real world thank goodness. How anyone could hear about these children and not think that we must do something I don't know.

grannyactivist Sat 30-Apr-16 18:10:45

Firecracker123 hello. smile
I do understand that some people fear being 'overrun' with migrants/refugees, but the numbers we're talking about are really comparatively very, very small. When you think about the actual people, children (like yours and mine), that the petition relates to will you not consider supporting this ? I'm pretty sure that if you were to see a child who needed help you would step in and lend a hand, regardless of whether other people were helping or not. Can you think about this situation in a similar way? Every signature counts, please reconsider signing the petition.

suzied Sat 30-Apr-16 18:21:12

I agree if these are proved to be children and are proved to have genuine family in Uk we should admit them , and maybe give preference to unaccompanied females( how many of them are there?)
But we should be aware that there have been several cases where the " child" is over 16, the " relative" in the uk is an unrelated " uncle" and the wider family follow. Many of the child refugees unaccounted for are already here in Uk, having entered illegally. I know I sound an old cynic, but having seen the photo of Alf Dubbs with the 2 "child" refugees who were taller than him, with stubble, I am unconvinced.

durhamjen Sat 30-Apr-16 18:34:58

"Many of the child refugees unaccounted for are already here in Uk, having entered illegally."

You know that for certain, do you, suzie?
Where did you get your information from?

suzied Sat 30-Apr-16 18:39:51

Having read the guardian and listened to radio 4.

suzied Sat 30-Apr-16 18:42:55

And anecdotal evidence from people I know who work in Kent SServices and education. They tell of the pressures of having to cope with lots of teenage boys who have claimed asylum, having enteredd illegally and claim to be under 18, there is enormous pressure on child services in Kent.

lynnie1 Sat 30-Apr-16 19:50:44

Suzie, even if they were over sixteen, it is still very young to have to cope with such terrible living conditions unsupported. I don't agree that France is solely responsible for them. I believe it is the responsibility of all human beings to care for one another. This country absolutely should be doing it's utmost to do all we can, to help those who are living in the most dreadful conditions. I am ashamed that we are not doing so

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 20:30:31

France is doing nothing much at all, according to reports I have read.

Iam64 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:32:59

How can that be - don't we count building shelters for these people and attempting to police the camps, prevent people trying to get to the UK. I feel ashamed that we don't seem to be actively working with the French to find solutions.

Jalima Sat 30-Apr-16 20:38:10

Yes, but unaccompanied children living in shelters?
Shocking and very sad
Why have the French not given the children, at least, decent accommodation
Someone to be in loco parentis?
Wherever their eventual destination.