Gransnet forums

News & politics

News reporting-bias or just sensationalist?

(47 Posts)
trisher Sun 01-May-16 09:29:41

Doctors are striking, head teachers are threatening to strike, both unprecedented events. Local authorities from all parties are opposing the creation of academies. This government's policies are leading the country to chaos, but what is the news focussing on? The ramblings of an old Labourite with no real power. Is it just sensational reporting or a right wing press intent on keeping this government in power and destroying the opposition. I know what I believe and I find the lack of any real reporting of events quite frightening.

TriciaF Sun 01-May-16 14:28:23

Sorry -- must have misheard - more like 8 blush.

Anniebach Sun 01-May-16 14:31:37

The Goldsmith article in the mail is a case of - Rock bottom and still drilling , how low can these vile people go

durhamjen Sun 01-May-16 16:45:09

Why was Goldsmith allowed to do such blatant electioneering and racist smearing in a paper this weekend?
It would be interesting to know if he paid or was paid for the article.

Penstemmon Sun 01-May-16 16:49:36

I do think it is all part of a strategy to scupper SK being elected as Mayor and simultaneously undermine JC. Prove you are anti-Semitic be being anti Islam!

durhamjen Sun 01-May-16 16:59:06

indy100.independent.co.uk/article/who-said-itzac-goldsmith-or-britain-first--WyGC_xJWlMZ
An interesting quiz to do.

POGS Sun 01-May-16 19:32:23

If it's a 'smear' tactic why has the left wing press covered the story with as much enthusiasm? This is not a right wing conspiracy as much as some would love to believe. In fact for the most part it is Labour itself that has kept the issue of Anti Semtism in parts of the Party going and the Livingstone debacle is just the latest in a long running story concerning Labour, by Labour.

The link to the Guardian sums it up for me when it says

"It is no wonder , except possibly to him and a lunatic Labour fringe , that the national press of ALL political persuasions has turned on him.

To say this is a 'smear' tactic is ridiculous. If he hadn't opened his mouth there would be no damn story to tell would there!

Eloethan Sun 01-May-16 20:12:31

Although the Shah/Livingstone story is proving useful in detracting attention away from the incompetence of Jeremy Hunt and Nicky Morgan, my own feeling is that the main focus at the moment is to try to sway the voters in the upcoming elections.

The London Mayoral campaign is, I feel, a disgrace. In the Guardian magazine yesterday, there was a feature about this contest. British Asian voters have received letters from David Cameron and/or Zac Goldsmith, specifically targetted at them as Hindus, Sikhs or Tamils. Hindus are reminded of David Cameron's hosting of PM Modi, warned about a "Corbyn-Khan "experiment"" and told that Khan is "dangerous". One of the recipients of this letter took great exception to Cameron talking about her "community". In the feature she said "No David, you and I are members of the same community...." She also didn't like the assumption that, as a Hindu, she was automatically a supporter of Mahendra Modi.

Another lawyer of Tamil origin had received a letter from Zac Goldsmith who wrote "As a government minister, Sadiq Khan did not use his position to speak about Sri Lanka or the concerns of the Tamil community in parliament. His party are beginning to adopt policies that will mean higher taxes on your family and your family's heirlooms and belongings. We cannot let him experiment with these radical policies." He then received a letter from Cameron saying That Goldsmith would "keep our streets safe from terrorist attacks". The clear implication he understood to be, as a Muslim Khan would not.

It seems that many of the Asian people who were sent these letters took great exception to the assumptions that were being made about them, their lifestyles, their allegiances, their prejudices, etc., and to what appeared to many of them to be an attempt to cause alienation and fear between different groups.

This isn't the first example of specific racial groups being targetted in ways that some people may well find manipulative, divisive and distasteful. In the last election the Conservative Party made clear to Hindus that they would not support Labour's proposal to further legislate to include caste discrimination in anti-discrimination laws. Senior Hindu figures then "suggested" to Hindus that they vote Conservative because to vote Labour would be like "turkies voting for Christmas".

In my view, we need politicians and Mayors who seek to unite this country, rather than those who try and create or exacerbate distrust between communities in order to obtain votes.

trisher Sun 01-May-16 20:30:37

ZG on the news 'refusing to be interviewed' but I think the reporters were not as insistent or demanding as they were for Ken Livingston.

rosesarered Sun 01-May-16 20:49:50

KL making the remarks he did, could hardly be a Right Wing smear campaign!grin

rosesarered Sun 01-May-16 20:56:14

I think the reporters are used to having KL doing a bit of banter with them, which may explain why they were pushier with him, ( if indeed they were ) why must there always be a conspiracy theory.hmm

thatbags Sun 01-May-16 21:19:35

It isn't taking attention away from the doctors/Hunt issue and the schools issue in the media I read, eloethan. It is being reported and commented upon AS WELL.

I'm beginning to think that those who cry foul at the media all the time must be looking at the wrong rags.

Mind you, in their defence, not having a telly probably helps one not to notice a lot of bullshitting hype and hoo-ha.

durhamjen Sun 01-May-16 23:04:27

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/01/boris-johnson-mayor-never-was-london-vote

I hope this sways some who have a vote for the London mayor.

durhamjen Mon 02-May-16 00:53:30

Definitely bias.

www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/01/leaked-ttip-documents-cast-doubt-on-eu-us-trade-deal

www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-01/leaked-docs-reveal-ttip-trade-deal-jeopardy-irreconcilable-differences-emerge

uk.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN0XS1KQ

As far as I can see, only one UK paper has mentioned TTIP, which is far more important than Ken Livingstone.

durhamjen Mon 02-May-16 00:59:59

uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-politics-london-idUKKCN0XS0YN

This looks hopeful for Khan.
It looks like Goldsmith has gone over the top with his racist electioneering.
Wasn't helped by him saying he loved Bollywood but could not mention a film or actor by name.

durhamjen Mon 02-May-16 01:19:22

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/exclusive-poll-majority-of-people-in-the-uk-supported-junior-doctors-all-out-strike-last-week-a7007926.html

Despite all the anti-BMA reporting after the strikes, the majority of the public still support the junior doctors.
Good.

trisher Mon 02-May-16 10:20:56

You are right about the telly thatbags maybe I should just turn the news off. The sight of so many media hacks pursuing an aged KL down the street is really too much.

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 10:25:58

I noticed when John Mann was ranting he kept glancing back at the camera.
It really was the most embarrassing incident I have seen in a long time. And to say as one reporter did that the two protagonists were screaming at each other was so obviously wrong as to be laughable.

durhamjen Mon 02-May-16 12:53:25

Didn't think Ken Livingstone did screaming. I thought he was trying to have a phone conversation with a radio programme. It was the reporters and John Mann who were making it impossible for him.

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 13:42:34

Yes that is exactly what was happening. Corbin needs to discipline Mann. His behaviour was totally unacceptable for a Labour MP

durhamjen Tue 03-May-16 17:40:12

youtu.be/DgX-EzZ7pL0

Jonathan Pie agrees with you, trisher, about the right wing press wanting to keep the government in power.
Watch this before you go to vote on Thursday.

trisher Wed 04-May-16 08:53:48

Thanks dj made me laugh.grin