Gransnet forums

News & politics

Christian values or misplaced humanity?

(47 Posts)
whitewave Wed 04-May-16 09:37:26

An Italian high court judge has ruled that a homeless person who stole a sausage and cheese through hunger did not commit a crime, as he the homeless person - acted out of immediate need.

My reaction? Brilliant.

grannyactivist Wed 04-May-16 18:23:41

harrigran I'm currently working with two people who have done exactly that. Sadly the value was not reflected in what they received for the items and to eventually replace the items (if they ever can) will cost considerably more. It's also very difficult trying to contact people who don't even have a £10 pay as you go phone - buying a few of these phones to lend is one of the things we're considering. When people don't have an address it can be very difficult to keep in contact.

harrigran Wed 04-May-16 18:30:32

I know what you mean ga, people offer you very little for things that we hold in great value. I think the mobile phone lending is a great idea, good luck.

janeainsworth Wed 04-May-16 18:34:30

Farnorth I have no idea how things work in Italy, but in this country there are funds for the victims of crime. I think judges can make ex gratia payments.

I wasn't really intending my post to be taken literally. It was just an illustration of how I felt justice could be done.
Stealing something from a small business is not a victimless crime, and whilst the Italian judge showed laudable compassion for the homeless man, he failed to recognise the impact on the shopkeeper.

mumofmadboys Wed 04-May-16 18:47:34

Rosina. The C of E is not rich at all. It struggles to pay its clergy, it's pensions bill and to maintain church buildings. It is steadily having to sell its assets. The parish system is unlikely to last that much longer as the Church cannot afford it. My husband has recently retired from being a vicar. He was ordained for nearly 31 years when he retired. His pension is £8000 a year. I don't know how much Justin Welby earns but it won't be much. The vestments he wears belong to the Church and will be worn by successive archbishops I imagine.

Anniebach Wed 04-May-16 19:05:27

Riding, Christ did preach in temples

Lazigirl Thu 05-May-16 09:49:15

I wonder if Jesus returned today if you'd find him in any of the churches? I'm drawn to philosophy of Buddhism myself.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 11:10:22

I would think the last thing needed by anyone in a position as desperate as this man was, would be a sermon from a pious, self righteous, overfed, bas judge. Nor would he have appreciated it from any GN equivalants. hmm (not that there are any, of course. smile

Judge did the right thing.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 11:44:45

Good opinion jing but to be honest I think the lecture was directed at the legal system rather than a suffering human being.

Lazigirl Thu 05-May-16 12:08:13

I may be pious and self righteous but am not over fed as am on low carbs wink

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 12:24:55

Same thing isn't it whitewave? Would have been put to him in court.

Kicking a man when down.

Who sleeps on cold, hard, dirty, concrete willingly?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 05-May-16 12:27:38

I'm sure you are none of those things lazigirl.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 12:37:47

This was a Supreme Court judge telling the ordinary courts to get it sorted

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 13:11:32

The Catholics are no better - in the past there have been starving people lying against the walls of the Vatican. I wonder what Jesus the carpenter, who appeared to have very little in the way of possessions and probably didn't even advocate church buildings ('where two or more are gathered in My name, I am there') would have made of this very blinkered attitude demonstrated by those who say they follow Christ ? Just a thought.
Rosina - the wealth of the Catholic church is truly astonishing - and the OP is about a man in Italy (did this happen in Rome near to the sumptuous Vatican?).
It used to make me angry about the 'tithe' Catholics paid in Malta to the church so that their churches could be full of riches - while children probably went without.
The rich could leave their property to the church so that they were assured a place in heaven, hence the church owns a massive amount of property there.
Tithing has been abolished in Italy, but the church is still exceedingly wealthy.

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 13:53:43

To answer the OP - humanity but perhaps a misplaced judgement.

If this is a new ruling will this set a precedent? Shopkeepers could now be subject to lawlessness and thieving with no redress in the law.

whitewave Thu 05-May-16 13:59:47

Perhaps the answer then is to feed the hungry.

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 18:21:25

I just typed a post then GN seemed to crash!

I think I said that yes, whitewave, why did the police take this to court in the first place, could they not have directed him to somewhere that could help? Unless, of course, they thought the judge would be able to do that. Now a precedent has been set and I don't think that it is a constructive way forward to deal with what seems to be a very big problem in Italy.

Ana Thu 05-May-16 18:24:28

I think in parts of the UK they don't charge anyone with shoplifting if the amount is under £75 or thereabouts. That seems a bit odd to me, as well.

Jalima Thu 05-May-16 21:07:01

They used to years ago; there was an old lady who regularly used to pinch such things as half a pound of butter or a piece of cheese from a certain grocery store (not a small independent)and she was regularly arrested and appeared before magistrates.
Used to make me very cross - I thought she was either very poor or needed psychiatric help.

Deedaa Thu 05-May-16 21:28:41

The Italian judge's point was that something is wrong if anyone can go hungry in a wealthy western country like Italy. And of course no Italian could imagine refusing anyone food.

Ana Thu 05-May-16 21:32:56

Although they do have Food Banks in Italy and have done for several years - it's not a new problem.

cornergran Fri 06-May-16 07:45:34

Over 20 years ago a workplace break in resulted in the loss of a tin of biscuits, the only food I the place. We all hoped the culprit was never caught, believing they must have been both hungry and desperate. Sadly not a new problem. We need both compassion and action.