Gransnet forums

News & politics

British teachers telling children to consider themselves European

(148 Posts)
obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:22

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Jun-16 07:20:16
I'm an Out for all the reasons given already but yesterday a friend who'd been undecided called round. She said she's now come down for Out for a very simple reason. She's Scottish. Proud to be Scottish but has over the years come to now describe herself as British as required. She heard on the radio that teachers are no longer telling children to consider themselves British but as European. That was the final straw for her. Simple. The loss of identity and nationality.
I think it's becoming so all over Europe. The taking away of identity and lumping us all together

This is what NFKDumpling wrote on another thread.

I have asked NFK's permission to do this thread.

MargaretX Thu 09-Jun-16 14:48:04

obeione who are you to be telling me what to say? Of course I'm European, any sensible educated person knows that we live in Europe. Then I'm English and when flying in Europe I take my German ID card as I also have German citizenship.

But my identity is English, that doesn't change and I am not frightened of losing my identity. This is one of the silliest reasons for leaving the EU. You lose your identity when you become senile and I'not that yet!
All those children who might feel as Europeans remain what they were born as and what their families are,and considering they will be mixed bunch then its not a bad idea at all. Then they have something which they all can be together.

elena Thu 09-Jun-16 11:09:39

Boris is a known liar - I am dismayed that people are taking their information about the EU from him.

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 12:01:38

Aha! Running away when asked a question.

No, the answer isn't in the op and is probably codswallop anyway.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 11:58:06

The answer is in the op.
Over and out for several hours.

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 11:46:49

I haven't lost anything grin

As you were the op, are you going to answer the question?

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 11:41:04

So what did these teachers tell their pupils?

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 11:40:49

Sorry, confused. What did Boris say?

Boris might very well know the truth, but it doesn't mean that he tells it - as you must well know! Even John Major knows that and said so.

Why would Boris know anyway? He's not a lawyer or statistician and hasn't been in a Cabinet position.

I prefer to believe experts in statistics and law, even though I realise they're not in fashion at the moment.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 11:40:09

I can see that you do not like to lose a debate dd.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 11:37:14

dd, 11.31am do you never read an op properly? Wow.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 11:35:34

It is what Boris said on the Andrew Marr programme, if I remember correctly.
He is going to know better than I am, and I suspect you.

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 11:33:35

Mythbust: 60% of UK laws don’t come from EU.

infacts.org/mythbusts/not-fair-say-60-uk-laws-come-eu/

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 11:31:00

So what did these teachers actually tell their pupils?

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 11:03:13

But that is different to what is in the op.

And that is different to the proposals or alleged proposals of the EU. Quite different and very different.

60% of British law now comes from the EU for example.
The more and more people in your example are taking.

Quite different to what you describe.

Elegran Tue 07-Jun-16 10:36:23

You don't stop being a member of one place because you widen your horizons to ALSO be a member of a wider community.

As a child, you were one of a family. Then you went to school and were a part of that, left and worked in another group, felt yourself part of your town, moved away to another town, another country, saw more of the world and considered yourself connected to more and more people - but that didn't make you any less a part of your family.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 10:12:14

There is no need to be both. Nothing to be gained, and things to lose.

granjura Tue 07-Jun-16 10:07:22

Why can't you be both? Not very long ago, if you lived in Yorkshire you felt as though you lived in a totally different country to someone in Cornwall or Norfolk. Remember Alan Bennet (sp?) and the Staffs towns. Even in the 70s, I knew people in Burslem who had never visited Newcastle-u-Lyme and couldn't imagine why they would.

You can be a Yorkshire man and also be British. And you can be a British European Yorkshire man without losing anything on the way - just have a bit of a wider vision and outlook.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 09:12:28

No need to mention that you live in Germany if you are happy to be called European. Just say European or nothing.

MargaretX Tue 07-Jun-16 08:55:44

The fact that I mention that I live in Germany -others mention that they live in France or Wales or Scotland, has nothing to do with my identity, nor my views expressed on this thread.
We are all European.

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 08:15:40

Fair enough. I'd just never heard of him/her.

The fact remains that the story is still second, third or fourth hand and nobody seems to know what was actually said.

Alea Tue 07-Jun-16 08:00:30

I haven't a clue who you are daphnedill Isn't that the point of user names?
No need to be quite so dismissive.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 07:56:30

NfkDumpling is a very reputable, long-term poster.

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 07:20:26

Aha! So it's fourth hand! I haven't a clue who NfkDumpling is. When a story has been retold so many times, it gets into the realms of Chinese Whispers. It's time to establish some facts and not take the story at face value.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 07:15:35

If you read the op well daphnedill, you will see that it is a post from NfkDumpling as I tried to make very clear.

Also,the post does not say it was a phone-in, though because I hardly ever listen to the radio, from what she said, it might be? Or might not be I suppose?

daphnedill Tue 07-Jun-16 07:07:35

So what did your friend say the person on the radio phone-in claimed? I realise this is second or third hand, but it's important to know what is actually being claimed. Had the person on the radio phone-in actually witnessed this him/herself or was it what he/she had been told by somebody else?

kathyd Tue 07-Jun-16 07:05:34

Granjura - See my answer to Varian