Gransnet forums

News & politics

British teachers telling children to consider themselves European

(147 Posts)
obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 08:13:22

NfkDumpling Sun 05-Jun-16 07:20:16
I'm an Out for all the reasons given already but yesterday a friend who'd been undecided called round. She said she's now come down for Out for a very simple reason. She's Scottish. Proud to be Scottish but has over the years come to now describe herself as British as required. She heard on the radio that teachers are no longer telling children to consider themselves British but as European. That was the final straw for her. Simple. The loss of identity and nationality.
I think it's becoming so all over Europe. The taking away of identity and lumping us all together

This is what NFKDumpling wrote on another thread.

I have asked NFK's permission to do this thread.

dramatictessa Sun 05-Jun-16 08:18:20

I doubt many teachers are actually saying this and it certainly won't be a standard policy. Sounds a bit like the story of children learning Baa ,Baa Rainbow Sheep -happened in one school, then became an urban myth.

hildajenniJ Sun 05-Jun-16 08:26:45

I'm in full agreement with you obieone. I'm not European, I'm English! Grudgingly I call myself British on forms etc., but I definitely don't identify with German, French, Italian or any other Europeans. To quote Gilbert and Sullivan, "for he is an Englishman". here's the song.

petra Sun 05-Jun-16 08:31:41

I call myself British. My OH calls himself English. It wouldn't surprise if this was being taught in schools.

thatbags Sun 05-Jun-16 08:32:15

I'm British and European. I always have been both and always will be both. The EU and the referendum is irrelevant as far as those things are concerned.

Welshwife Sun 05-Jun-16 08:34:26

To consider oneself European does not mean you cannot also consider yourself British as well as Scottish, Welsh, Irish or English! We have always been these things as even before the EU we were part of the continent of Europe,

The actual mix of the children in the class and the circumstances at the time if/when this was said also needs to be reported. Maybe it was a class with children from several countries and a common root being explained.

PRINTMISS Sun 05-Jun-16 08:35:14

Whilst I feel this probably not a school directive as such, I do feel that as a nation we are losing our identity. It is good that we have a multi-cultural society, but we should still maintain our individuality. I am English, the Scots are proud of their nationality, as are the Welsh, why should we be any thing else?

practical Sun 05-Jun-16 08:51:54

It would be interesting to know if people wanting to stay in are ones that have left this country for pastures new while we who are left need to fight for our country.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 08:54:55

It isn't possibly to lose one's identity, unless one has a memory problem

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 08:59:58

I would disagree with you there Anniebach.

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 09:02:15

Why do you think the Scottish want independence?
And it was you yourself, only this week, who complained about the BBC saying English football team.

thatbags Sun 05-Jun-16 09:04:22

Um... didn't you notice, obi, that the majority of Scots didn't want independence? wink

whitewave Sun 05-Jun-16 09:06:38

Another banana story

TerriBull Sun 05-Jun-16 09:13:35

My makeup is a composite of about 4 European strands.However, I would refer to myself as English as that's where I have lived and been brought up. European is a generic term and whilst I am glad to have the foreign influences where parts of my family emanated from and certainly love all the parts of Europe I have spent time in. I don't feel an affinity with the whole of Europe per se. After all Japanese, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese etc., most of whom are deeply nationalistic wouldn't describe themselves as Asian it's too general and non specific. Italy, France and Spain would probably be the three countries I have visited the most and their identities and culture is very and different from ours, which is why we find it so attractive. in fact Italy tend to align themselves to their different regions rather than the country as a whole, let alone the rest of Europe.

granjura Sun 05-Jun-16 09:17:21

Which teachers, where and how is it 'put'?

Showing the following video would be great, to make children think... but without telling them 'how to think or feel' - a suggestion that even when we think we are 'pure' race (and that does that lead..) we may, most of us, have great surprises in our DNA... I am also a fan of 'who do you think you are' - and there have been many surprises there. Our GC know about the massive genetic mix in our family- but some of our nieces and nephews will probably never be told, sadly I believe- and their looks just do not give anything away.

youtu.be/tyaEQEmt5ls

practical Sun 05-Jun-16 09:22:43

I will ask my daughter if anyone in the school she teaches at has heard of this

grandMattie Sun 05-Jun-16 09:28:21

just seen the youtube thingy. thank you, thank you, gjMy goodness, it should be shown on all commercial television. It should hep those racists and xenophobes.
I'm from the Commonwealth and know my family history back to the 1600s, but it wouldn't surprise me to find all sort of "skeletons"

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 09:28:46

obeine, do get things right please, I did not complain about the BBC saying the English football team, my objection was referring to the rest as - the other home nations

I think your post is Brexit hysteria sorry ,

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 09:33:48

If I got it wrong than I am sorry Anniebach[irony, my name is obieone], but your post amounts to the same thing, does it not?

whitewave Sun 05-Jun-16 09:34:27

That's just what I was going to post annie

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 09:34:55

I am only referring to what was thought to be heard on the radio.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 09:44:17

I apologise for misspelling names, I have difficulty reading .

No, you said it was heard on the radio not thought to be heard in the radio

No big difference between English and other home nations to the home nations

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 09:47:29

I will go with heard on the radio

obieone Sun 05-Jun-16 09:48:51

You tell me which it is. I am going by NFK's post.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-16 09:49:55

And I heard the banana story on the radio and the TV