Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump as US president might be useful

(61 Posts)
thatbags Mon 06-Jun-16 07:04:20

I've just read an excellent aricle in Quillette about the hypothetical good that could come out of a Trump presidency, scary though that prospect is. The authors argue that US politics (Republican Party in particular) is in such a mess that having such a one as Trump as president would have the effect of starkly illuminating US political "cancers" of the far right and the far left and could provide a kind of "rough medicine".

It is a thought provoking essay.

There is no good case for Trump but this is the best there is by James Lindsay and Peter Boghossian.

If anyone wants to know who James Lindsay and Peter Boghossian are, here is my answer: they are the people who wrote this article. #WhatNotWho. And Google is your friend.

Rhinestone Mon 06-Jun-16 11:21:17

Obeione You would not believe the times in my over 39 year career that I had to spend my own money in supplies. Add to that the fact I had to bring my own fan to my class because the only people who had air conditioning was the administrators. What really bugged me were the business people who were brought in to make decisions. They weren't going to root for the child. They rooted for the budget to be lower. When the school roof needed repairing they took bids for the work. Of course the least expensive won and that didn't mean quality. So I don't want a businessman for my president. I don't want one who will cut taxes on the backs of those who need it most. I may live in a dream world but I want one for the real people who work hard everyday of their lives. One who will do the right thing for the people and not worry about returning favors for the corporations who gave to their campaign. Donald just likes to brag about himself as evidenced by his speeches . We don't need the rioting that his campaign has evoked. We need people coming together not being ripped apart like his big foul mouth has done. I hope someday we get that.

sunseeker Mon 06-Jun-16 11:31:14

I have an American friend who is normally left of centre, yet she is supporting Trump!! Although we have discussed it, but not at great length as politics is not one of few strengths, my impression is she just doesn't want Clinton - what a choice for the American people!

Welshwife Mon 06-Jun-16 11:32:57

That is very interesting Rhinestone . Which State is that with the schools? My son lives in USA - Michigan - and I have two GS at school there - the three schools - elementary, college and high, are fortunately nothing like you describe. One is in High school - two more years to go but is doing very well and has Varsity(?) badges - not sure here of all the terminology as a bit different to us - he has been in the honours system since he was old enough. The younger one has one more year at the elementary school. They did choose the area to live because of the schools.
He was saying to me last evening exactly what has been said here about Trump, Hilary and Bernie.

ffinnochio Mon 06-Jun-16 11:46:41

B re. Your comment 09.45.59.

Zumba has freed my brain! I see what you mean about hoping for a good outcome & humanity.
You took a further leap than me.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 06-Jun-16 13:40:17

The article makes it sound as if the presidential role in the US is practically worthless. Perhaps it is. Obama had enough trouble getting his "Obamacare" through Congress. The writer seems to think that he couldn't do much harm in four years in office. Hmm. Wouldn't bank on that. And I doubt if the results would do much to bring the American population to its senses.

I heard on tyhe Today programme that Bernie Sanders is still not completely out of the race.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 06-Jun-16 13:42:11

I think the horrer of the threat from Islamist fundementalists is bringing out a lot of racial hatred in the American people. I'm not sure you can blame them tbh.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 06-Jun-16 13:43:24

a not e

Rhinestone Mon 06-Jun-16 14:09:46

Well we have our challenges Jinglbellstocks. The Republican Party did everything they can to stop any legislation Obama wanted. They were disgusting from his first speech where they laughed and snickered at him. Like many things today where is the respect for your president. You don't have to agree with him.
Trumps ego is bigger than ever. I think if Sanders were to win those that don't like Hillary would vote for him. And all these super delete votes make me mad too. We need some real reform.

Rhinestone Mon 06-Jun-16 14:10:38

WelshwifeI will private message you.

GillT57 Mon 06-Jun-16 14:39:16

A very interesting article thatbags and thank you for sharing it. It makes me feel less scared about the possibility of a Trump presidency. Also a good insight from rhinestone about the truth of business interfering in education, maybe should be passed on to Ms Morgan.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Jun-16 11:55:57

Rhinestone - I was very interested to read your post. One of the good things about GN is that we can get a perspective on what citizens of other countries are thinking. I believe I heard on the radio this morning that Clinton has got the nomination or is about to?

Mumsyface Tue 07-Jun-16 13:46:35

President Trump -OMG!

auntieniki Tue 07-Jun-16 14:02:19

Fascinating Rhinestone. thank you

Rhinestone Tue 07-Jun-16 15:27:26

NotTooOldYes I read that about Clinton too. She has enough of what the Democratic Party calls, Superdelegates, people in the party who can vote at the convention for her. They are pledging now that they will vote for her but they can always change their mind. It seems so complicated. The year of campaigning and speeches and pledges and commercials is all to much in my opinion. I think it takes away from our president and what he needs to do in his last year for the country.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Jun-16 15:45:24

Rhinestone - you sound like an Obama fan! Me, too. I've read two of his books and found he is an amazing person with some excellent insights into what goes on in the world. Shame he has not had more opportunity to achieve all he hoped to achieve.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Jun-16 15:47:02

PS Rhinestone - is Obama popular with ordinary Americans? Sorry if that is a naive question, I'm no expert on American politics.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 16:20:05

It always strikes me that sometimes, leaders need to actually change the system, as you say Rhinestone.
But none of any party in the US seem to do that, or even attempt it.

obieone Tue 07-Jun-16 16:21:35

But I have heard it said that the USA population as a whole like it that way, to stop anyone getting too extreme. Perhaps they are right

sarahc446655 Tue 07-Jun-16 16:47:21

Nothing is more annoying than all the 'sheep' getting on the latest politically correct band wagon of hating/disliking Donald Trump which is obviously easier than actually taking notice of what is actually happening in the world around you, rather pretending what you'd like. One question - what is actually wrong with someone who dislikes his own countrymen being killed by Islamics? careful people you might be accused of being a terrorist sympathiser - until it happens to you.
Incidently for those who dont know when there was a parliamentary petition launched to bar Trump from the UK there was another one with a similar number if signatures - backing him - fact!

Faye Wed 08-Jun-16 06:49:07

I read the article and it's true, is this the best there is? I found this piece very interesting and informative and worth reading especially at the end. Why Hilary Clinton is more dangerous than Donald Trump by John Pilger, who is an Australian based in the UK. John Pilger has been a journalist since John Kennedy, and the first time I heard about him was in fact on Gransnet and have read a few of his links since.

I have been very disappointed in Obama, I thought he would be good for the world but he really is a war monger. I would never vote for Hilary Clinton, another war monger. I think Hilary Clinton is disliked by many Americans and they feel they have no choice and will do anything to keep Clinton from becoming President. I have read if Donald Trump does become President he will have advisors and people to keep him in check.

I saw Donald Trump say on television today that he will not have TPP, that can only be a good thing for America.

I am glad I am not an American, I think I would emigrate.

thatbags Wed 08-Jun-16 07:14:33

I signed a petition not to have Trump banned from the UK. I did not sign it because I like him or agree with anything he says, or because I would support any Republican. I signed it because I believe in free speech. You don't fight bad ideas by suppressing them; you fight them by bringing them into the cold light of day and rational analysis.

obieone Wed 08-Jun-16 07:30:08

I never know how far you would or do go with free speech thatbags. And this may not be the thread to ask. And you may have been asked many times before.

But if you were in Hitler times, you would have been ok about him speaking?

Anya Wed 08-Jun-16 07:32:11

Yes, having to suffer a president like Trump might be a wake-up call to the USA to reform. George W Bush was a laughing stock but Trump is in another league completely.

Hopefully their various political institutions, such as the House of Representatives, the Senate, Congress (which I don't pretend to understand) and the 'military' will keep him in check.

And I don't believe those who say he's the AntiChrist (though I do see where they're coming from) hmm

thatbags Wed 08-Jun-16 07:35:15

Apparently some military top nobs have already said they will not obey certain orders from The Trump were he ever to give them. So, he is a threat to the American presidency in that way too: overturning the supposed authority of the president. Let's hope it never comes to this kind of 'mutiny'!

Luckygirl Wed 08-Jun-16 07:39:07

The comments about US schools are interesting - a salutary warning for us about the road our own educational system seems to be headed for.