Gransnet forums

News & politics

Abdication?

(265 Posts)
rubylady Sat 11-Jun-16 03:28:00

Well, The Queen now is 90 years old. Do any of you think that she should abdicate? She looked today like she was falling asleep at the church service for her birthday.

Are there any 90 year olds on here still working?

Is it not time for her to put on her tartan slippers, wrap herself in her shawl, sit in her favourite arm chair and watch some daytime tele? Is it not time for her to let the younger (if Charles can be classed as younger if you know what I mean) to take over the lead of the country?

I think I would be quite upset at sending my mother/grandmother out to work at 90 years old.

absent Sat 11-Jun-16 04:53:43

I think it's pretty unlikely that she would contemplate abdication, given her upbringing, family history and the promise that she made on her accession to the throne. She is already taking something of a back seat and allowing the younger Royals to represent her at various occasions and I would think this will increase. What will probably affect her most is when the Duke of Edinburgh pops his clogs as it seems that she always relied very heavily on his support.

Alea Sat 11-Jun-16 06:07:00

What I think is irrelevant. It is what she thinks that matters. Being Queen is not a job it is what she is and I could not imagine her going back on that promise she made when she turned 21 dedicating her life "whether it be long or short" to the people of Great Britain and the Commonwealth. She is not a quitter!
That said, she has already delegated long distance travel to Charles, and more engagements to the younger Royals although I believe Anne does more engagements than the rest of the Royals put together.
I think absent has got it spot-on in her final sentence too.

thatbags Sat 11-Jun-16 06:51:17

Nobody is 'sending' her out to work. It's her own choice. Besides which, she probably has the best working conditions available to anyone.

Don't be ageist, ruby.

Plus (and not a small plus), I bet she knows how few people want Charles as king.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 09:33:34

She wasn't working yesterday, she was celebrating her own birthday , today she will have trooping the colour then I expect back to Windsor to relax and prepare for her several months annual Holiday in Scotland

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 09:34:27

I expect the Queen will take even more of a back seat after this milestone birthday. Her sense of duty defines her so I can't see her abdicating but I hate the thought of her being trotted out on official occasions just to prove she's still up to it.

I don't have a problem with Charles being King. He has the same devotion to duty as his mother and he needs a fair old crack of the whip now before he becomes too doddery.

rosesarered Sat 11-Jun-16 09:39:28

I imagine she will not be passing on the 'job' to Charles, but will be Queen until either she dies, or becomes too frail to carry on.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 09:46:56

She will be trotted out , remember Magaret in a wheelchair at the gates of Clarence House.

If she becomes too frail to get on the balcony Charles can be promoted to prince regent , she remains queen and he carries out her duties , not just meeting and greeting, taking on opening of parliament etc

Greyduster Sat 11-Jun-16 09:49:21

I agree with absent. The only thing that will seriously affect her capacity to carry on would be losing HRH. She absolutely won't abdicate, and will continue to delegate duties to the younger members of the family. For all her ninety years, she is apparently as sharp as a pin, and, at least until last year, she was still able to get on an albeit small horse and ride. Think that might be beyond me now, let alone at her age!

Luckygirl Sat 11-Jun-16 09:49:27

I do not think she will abdicate - she will die on the job.

I am frankly amazed at the fact that she keeps up her schedule even though it has been reduced. It makes me feel tired!

I am not a royalist, but anything beats the US presidential system, especially looking at who might make it to the top there.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 09:50:56

I agree with absent and alea and merlot and in part with annie but would just like to point out that it was her official birthday not her actual birthday which she was 'celebrating'.

The reason she will not abdicate is because of her strong sense of duty, not just to this country but to the Commonwealth, and another reason may be because of the abdication of her Uncle David who must have angered and, they felt, brought shame on the family.

thatbags Sat 11-Jun-16 09:51:42

You can get a hoist for putting people on a horse who can't manage it by themselves. Riding for the Disabled use them.

Should HRH wish to ride...

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 09:54:22

Lucky I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence!
A Head of State who is above politics is preferable.

(Some posts appeared before before my previous post and the ones I referred to above!)

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 09:54:45

She's HM

GandTea Sat 11-Jun-16 10:05:09

"I do not think she will abdicate - she will die on the job."

That's the way to go grin

I'm not sure about Charles as King, shame it won't pass directly to William.

merlotgran Sat 11-Jun-16 10:08:12

Why would William make a better king than Charles?

aggie Sat 11-Jun-16 10:11:24

Makes no odds who is on the throne ( maybe that should have a capital T ?) It still is a pageant not a job where you can do anything . Obama found it very hard to get anything done , HRH is just a figurehead and can't get any legislation on the agenda . As a great pageant and tourist attraction she is doing a great job , Charles would be equally interesting as he tries to put his oar in to no avail

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 10:15:08

William as King? He would have to work,

Charles has the same sense of duty as queenie and he is next in line . I am sure the media want William not Charles , youth reigns

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 10:38:16

HM not HRH!! as merlot pointed out

Yes I agree anniebach, Charles should be King - William has a long, long way to go yet.
Of course, we could be talking about 15 or even 20 years' time

gettingonabit Sat 11-Jun-16 10:59:17

Much as I admire HMtheQ (albeit rather in a non-royalist kinda way) I think she should abdicate, yes.

Charles would make a decent King, if we MUST have one.

I don't think William has the sense of duty necessary for the task.

thatbags Sat 11-Jun-16 11:03:52

Noted re 'HM', thanks.

The thing that worries me about Charles is that I'm not sure his sticking his oar in would be to no avail.

Anniebach Sat 11-Jun-16 11:07:01

If Charles and Ann want their children to live a much freer life than they did then fair enough but they should also not expect the same life styles for them. They are either in or out , cannot have it all

GandTea Sat 11-Jun-16 11:08:48

Merlot, purely personal opinion.

nigglynellie Sat 11-Jun-16 12:47:31

The Queen's fantastic, she makes me proud to be British, and the word abdication is not in her vocabulary. Her dedication to duty is truly amazing and any suggestion that she is being trotted out or somehow tottery and past it is just insulting and patronising. I think the warmth and affection of the enormous crowds on the Mall today speaks volumes. I do however agree that she does rely a great deal on Prince Phillips support, and his loss would affect her very much.

Jalima Sat 11-Jun-16 12:54:00

Hear hear nellie
Stalwart, dependable and dedicated