Gransnet forums

News & politics

Does a little bit of you...... (It's about that)

(469 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Mon 20-Jun-16 11:12:32

.... almost want the other side to win, simply because the follow up to the result would be so much more interesting? Yes, I know that is completely irresponsible. hmm

varian Mon 27-Jun-16 11:45:32

Tegan that is disgusting, but possibly true.

Tegan Sun 26-Jun-16 20:48:44

We've been trying to work that out since Friday.Thought it might have been because of Unilever backing Remain.I looked at The Sun yesterday and found it disgusting.It was 'the sun wot won it'.

Nandalot Fri 24-Jun-16 16:18:45

Was it significant that the non 'Sun' reading Liverpool had a majority vote to remain?

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 16:09:52

To be fair it was ' all party ' constuencies that returned Leave votes in the majority areas in England and Wales.

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 16:09:43

Corbyn did not exactly inspire people to vote to remain

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 16:08:41

we are still in the EU and the rules say it needs a 60% result for change with a 75% turnout - neither of which was obtained.
Welshwife the turnout was 72.2% - quite high, but, as DD pointed out to me, in Australia voting is compulsory and there is a fine for not doing so.

The result was so close that I wonder if some people who did not go out to vote are now wishing they had.

I am still puzzled by the How the Parties Voted - which seems to be the complete opposite to what was being announced last night and has appeared in the press today.
The North East, Midlands, Wales - all what I would have thought were Labour 'heartlands' (presumably that means returning a majority of Labour MPs) have all voted OUT.

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 16:07:10

Jalima

My questions too and the Labour heartlands did dissolve throughout the night. Hence the call for Corbyn to step down.

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 15:53:13

My son lives and works in Gibraltar he and his little family are distressed and not a little scared of what this could mean for them.
tanith when the Gibraltar vote came through it looked like a good omen.
I hope they will be OK

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 15:50:08

It was said that the Labour heartlands were voting to leave in droves last night confused

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 15:49:21

^HOW PARTIES VOTED
Tory 43 Remain, 57 Leave
Labour 69 Remain, 31 Leave
Libs 73 Remain, 27 Leave
Ukip: 7 Remain, 93 Leave^

Again, how can that be proved?

Where are these figures from?

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 15:48:33

^HOW AGES VOTED
18-24: 75% Remain
25-49: 56% Remain
50-64: 44% Remain
65+: 39% Remain^
I thought that was from a YouGov Poll, not an actual fact?

The YouGov poll was wrong on the result.

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 15:46:57

Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff
If they do or they don't, this surely shouldn't worry those on the left who loathe these rich capitalists so much

Can't have it all ways.

Anya Fri 24-Jun-16 15:43:57

Thanks for putting the record straight POGS wink

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 14:42:19

The facts are telling a story.

So far as we speak the FTSE is trading at 6175.87. down 2.56%

The FTSE is higher now than it has been at times since the 2008 crash.

The pound is trading against the euro at £1 to 1.24 euros. It has been lower.

Admittedly this could all change the markets are volatile but it is time to be rational.

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 14:35:02

Morgan Stanley deny this story.

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/morgan-stanley-brexit-eu-referendum-jobs-dublin-frankfurt-a7100911.html

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 14:10:59

In the immediate aftermath of the UK’s vote to exit the EU, we advise that this will be a very fast-moving and transitional time for the UK economy – and indeed for the global economy. Amid this uncertainty we have downgraded the UK’s country risk rating by two notches, from DB2a to DB2c (still in our ‘Low Risk’ category). The level of uncertainty will remain especially high in the next few days until the various influencers make their positions clear.
Dr Warwick KnowlesSenior Economist, Dun & Bradstreet

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 14:10:04

Morgan Stanley looks to move 2,000 London staff
Posted at 13:45

BBC business reporter Joe Lynam reports...

Sources within Morgan Stanley say it has already begun the process of moving about 2,000 of its London-based investment banking staff to Dublin or Frankfurt. And it has a taskforce in place.

The jobs which would be moved from the UK would be in euro clearing but also other investment banking functions and senior management.

The American investment bank needs to avail of the passporting system which allows banks to offer financial services in all countries in the EU without having to establish a permanent base in that member state.

The president of Morgan Stanley, Colm Kelleher, told Bloomberg two days ago that Brexit would be “the most consequential thing that we’ve ever seen since the war”.

Nandalot Fri 24-Jun-16 13:00:46

Granjura interesting statistics. Reinforces what I feel, that the demographically more numerous older voter has had a big influence in this referendum, whereas it is the younger generation who will have to live with the consequences. The 18 - 24 age group will now be entering higher education or employment in a very destabilised environment.

Welshwife Fri 24-Jun-16 12:59:08

Have you seen there is a UK Govt petition asking for a second referendum ? - we are still in the EU and the rules say it needs a 60% result for change with a 75% turnout - neither of which was obtained.

tanith Fri 24-Jun-16 12:50:59

granjura they are actually fearful thanks for you good wishes.

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 12:45:29

Gracesgran

I didn't ask for people to agree with my opinion!

POGS Fri 24-Jun-16 12:41:19

Granjura where are you facts from?

I am confused at the ' How the Parties Voted ' section. What is it pertaining to percentage of the vote and if so how is it established. How does anybody know my political persuasion when I vote.

Daphnedil

"So Labour voters DID'NT vote overwhelmingly to Leave"

You and I watched all through the night and our posts are telling. You know exactly how the results were coming in geographically. You commentated regularly on the fact the Labour heartlands vote had been for Leave and how you found that anomaly confusing. I think it is as clear as the nose on our faces the Leave vote crossed all the political divide
especially in Wales and England but I think it is wish full thinking to put a different angle on the naked truth.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 12:35:10

I seem to have heard NF saying this morning that he had not accepted us being in the EU for 20 years.

You really do expect people to agree with your opinion POGS. Of course we will - we have to - go alone with the majority but we do not have to agree that it is a good thing. No doubt we will cope with whatever it brings; no doubt we will try and make the best of it but that doesn't mean that the day after the course of our history has changed against the will of nearly half our county, against the majority of young voters, against the majority of Scottish voters, we will sing, dance and make merry.

Anya Fri 24-Jun-16 12:27:30

Mark Carney spoke with calm authority this morning.

Anya Fri 24-Jun-16 12:25:18

I think it is a bit much to ask from some as they are still in shock POGS. My daughter is currently ranting on FB and I think she needs to 'get it out' of her system, as do many disappointed voters. This is the reality of democracy.

So we need to look to the future and pull together, not be held back by some who will never accept this result. Those who are disappointed but mature enough to accept reality will sooner or later realise that what's done is done and work out a way forward.