Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ok, we are out, what now?

(840 Posts)
Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 07:49:53

The vote is in, we are to leave the EU. Deep breath, everyone, a new start begins today.

What needs to be done now? No recriminations allowed, no ranting, please. Constructive ideas only for what steps we should take now - we meaning the government, the legal bods, the negotiators, the banks, large and small busineeses, social departments, and orfinary people?

Bear in mind that it will take two years to settle the divorce details, then we have to begin creating a new relationship with the single market of the EU, if we are to buy and sell anything with them, after which new partners might will want to negotiate deals with us. Time scale unknown, but likely to take years. They could be lean years, our credit rating has gone down instantly, and our £ notes won't buy as much abroad at the moment. Better get a taste for British-grown food.

Meanwhile through and after the divorce we have to feed the children (without any alimony, just on our own efforts, and without the inlaws helping us to get orders any more)

The au pairs and the chars will soon go home, which means we'll have to do things ourselves which we used to let them do - look after our aged relations, nurse us after operations, and so on. On the plus side, that should mean we will be needed in those jobs, if we want them.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 08:43:36

Sometimes ele circumstances are outside our control.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 08:48:27

What affects us and the ordinary man is what is happening in the money markets. We have absolutely no control over that whatsoever. Listening Carney trying to steady the market and provide confidence shows how serious it could become.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 08:49:04

How bloody much is this result costing us!!!!!!!!

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 08:51:12

Losing a husband was out of my control too, and changed my life, but I decided it damn well wasn't going to wreck it.

I have to go places alone, do things for myself that he would always have done, and at some point I shall quite possibly die alone of an unexpected stroke or heart attack, as I don't have any chronic deseases that mean I am under constant medical attention.

This UK is a hell of a lot healthier than many others. We stand every chance of survival as a country, and we just have to look after one another if some of us are hard hit. We have done it before, we can do it again.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 08:52:05

We have no say in - what now ,

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 08:53:39

Elegran,

You seem to have missed the irony. The people who voted Leave won't get the jobs as negotiators, etc. It will be those faceless bureaucrats from Brussels and newly qualified Oxbridge graduates.

I wouldn't bet on the pound and markets settling within a few days. There is no precedent. Meanwhile the fat cat traders will be celebrating.

PS. My daughter is already an economist/negotiator and my son possibly has an internship at the Bank of England, so I'm not complaining, but they and I didn't vote Leave.

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 08:55:04

@Elegran

So why did people deliberately make life difficult? How will leaving the EU improve people's lives?

harrigran Fri 24-Jun-16 08:57:11

Elegran, ever the diplomat flowers

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 08:57:35

Yes we do. We have a say in who we elect to Parliament, we have contact email and postal adresses for them. We can write to newspapers and online forums. We can make a nuisance of ourselves on many levels. We can join groups who work to give practical help and/or advice where it is needed. Some of us already do all those things.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 08:58:22

We were told we were raising project fear -remember?

So are the money markets all part of this collusion? Perhaps we should now listen to Brexit when they say " no worry chaps" only temporary" can you ever remember the B of E ever making such a statement?

£250bn we are pouring in to steady the markets.

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 08:58:44

How will leaving the EU improve people's lives?

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 08:59:05

That last to anniebach

Alea Fri 24-Jun-16 09:01:19

I prepared two comments on my reaction to this morning's news and have had to delete them both as the words look so trite. I cannot really believe it, but yes, witnessing the bigotry and self-centredness of vast swathes of the great British public as articulated by the press - DT and DM like- I can all too readily see how it has happened.
I blame DC for a cheap electoral gimmick which has not merely bitten him in the bum, but kicked the rest of us in the teeth. I blame the politicians who have twisted this for their own career ends, I blame the press for stirring up this hornet's nest. But you know what else? We only have ourselves to blame. This was too big a decision to be treated like a vote on Strictly.
So DC is to stand down by October. Is he right to "fall on his sword", or having got us into this mess, is he taking the easy way out of steering the country through the choppy waters ahead.
Cynical, moi?

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 09:04:28

I never said it would improve people's lives. I said that as it is now decided, we have to work ^within that".

Have you any suggestions how we can make that work improve our lives, DD ? That is what is needed now - construction, not demolition and dereliction.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 09:05:32

Yes the ordinary man has given the establishment a kick in the teeth bu it was the wrong fight. In the end they will be the losers.

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 09:07:14

Well, he has had his fifteen minutes at the helm. He can disembark, bugger off, and let someone else steer the ship. Question is, who? And what will be his/her first moves? Left hand down a bit?

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 09:07:18

Well said, Alea!

In all honesty, political insiders have been saying Cameron has been under pressure from his back-benchers for a while. He gambled and he lost. Let's hope we all don't drown in IDS's crocodile tears!

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 09:08:30

@Elegran

I'm sure you can advise him/her. Hopefully those who supported Leave knew what they wanted - well, they did, didn't they?

suzied Fri 24-Jun-16 09:11:10

Lessons from history are that political and economic change leads to extremism. When the leave campaign started to concentrate on migrants and immigration it became scarily obvious that this is what would happen.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 09:17:54

That's why at the absolute least Farage has to be kept out.

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 09:18:46

I'm off to get some breakfast and do other things that have been neglected. I'll leave you lot to run the country while I'm gone. Do try to remember to be constructive, not negative.

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 09:18:47

Banking Staff being told that they will have to relocate to Europe

Jackthelad Fri 24-Jun-16 09:19:41

I have read through all the above and there is unfortunately a strong collection of NO HOPERS. For hundreds of years England & Wales stood alone and were a strong trading nation, and then Scotland gave us their King and the Union was formed and we were stronger still. With strength of caricature and determination to innovate and trade from our industries and strong Government leadership. WE CAN DO IT still. Don't give, up hang in there. It only takes Blood, Sweat, Toil, and a few tears. For there are NO FREE LUNCHES!

kittylester Fri 24-Jun-16 09:20:21

I don't see how he could have negotiated our withdrawal as he lost the vote. Lord knows who we will get now though. I think we should all join the Tory party so we have a vote.

I hope any negotiating is done by a cross-party group so there will be fewer arguments about how it is handled.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jun-16 09:21:25

theconversation.com/britain-votes-to-leave-the-eu-cameron-quits-heres-what-happens-next-61420

This is what happens next, in real life. Mind it is written by an expert.