Gransnet forums

News & politics

Show respect

(194 Posts)
kittylester Fri 24-Jun-16 07:50:56

All over fb there are people calling anyone who voted Leave 'thick', 'uneducated' etc.

Do we not live in a democracy? Shouldn't we accept that more than 50% of the population want to leave the EU. I don't suppose that the same people would have been called names had they voted the other way.

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 09:50:32

Not fair Jingle, I agree the racist card played a big part but despair , anger and fear were active in Wales

aggie Fri 24-Jun-16 09:51:41

All will feel the cuts , I am so depressed about the result that I can't even take it all in . Boris or Farage ............. take your pick for a Great leader for a Great Country ?

aggie Fri 24-Jun-16 09:52:41

Who was it said Democracy = Mob Rule ?

nigglynellie Fri 24-Jun-16 10:00:39

Maybe it's the fault of the so called educated who over the years have treated the,so called uneducated 'morons and thickos' with such contempt and arrogance that has led to this result! You reap what you sow, and yes, given the chance the peasants will revolt, for better or worse! Never underestimate a peasant!!

nigglynellie Fri 24-Jun-16 10:01:08

or give him the vote!!!!!

Jalima Fri 24-Jun-16 10:02:42

Recriminations don't help
Not what I voted for but the country needs to move forward now
Cameron should have remained aloof from the campaigning, too late now, move on
Corbyn was lukewarm, time to move over for a more inspirational leader

Onwards we go, they have much to do, don't waste time looking back

Anniebach Fri 24-Jun-16 10:06:52

Well said niggly, we agree

durhamjen Fri 24-Jun-16 10:13:25

Can't be Garage, aggie. He's not an MP. Soon he will not be an MEP, thank goodness.
Do they have to leave once article 50 is invoked? I do hope so.

durhamjen Fri 24-Jun-16 10:13:50

Sorry, Farage. I've been awake too long.

nigglynellie Fri 24-Jun-16 10:15:56

People bought stocks and shares on the assumption that remain would win and that this morning those same people would be on a nice little earner!! No wonder the deep despair this morning! You have to have just a little maybe private chuckle! Round one to the uneducated I'd say!!

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 10:18:24

Jane10
Thanks for calling me thick !

My comment was tongue in cheek in response to kitty's post

durhamjen Fri 24-Jun-16 10:18:28

No money to buy stocks and shares.
Douglas Carswell has been told he has lost his reason for existing. What's the point of Ukip now?

whitewave Fri 24-Jun-16 10:20:28

nig don't confuse wealth with intelligence

ninathenana Fri 24-Jun-16 10:29:53

Ok everyone especially Jane10 please ignore my posts on this thread.
I realise my brain wasn't engaged earlier.
#quietlyleavestheroom

Joelsnan Fri 24-Jun-16 10:39:58

Jinglebellsfrocks so the racists and thick is have won
A rather sweeping statement saying that over 50% of the population are both racist and thick. I think not.
So, are you going to moan about this or take this opportunity to empower change.
There are rumblings in the rest of Europe, couldn't we take this opportunity to start building the foundations for a greater Europe that meets the new ideals of its populous. We would never have facilitated change from the inside and would have gone down with the sinking ship. Britain should show the way. I don't think it will be too long before other nations call referendums.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 10:40:00

Just over half the people voted to leave. Why do leavers expect the just under half - a huge number - to be full of joy and positive about something they didn't want to happen?

Given a little time most people will do their best to get on with whatever situation we are presented with. The leaders of leave are already rowing back on some of their promises so we may well find it is not just the remain voters who are not happy in the long run. Unless our internal politics change many of those areas that voted leave will still be very unhappy about what globalisation has done to them.

As for showing respect, the only way you can do that is to accept that everyone is entitled to an opinion but that no one is entitled to expect others to agree with it. This vote is the opinion of fractionally over half the country; to move forward will require all the country and politicians that recognise that.

Greyduster Fri 24-Jun-16 10:44:08

Sorry; another objection here! I know a lot of people who voted to leave who are by no means racist nor thick - my husband and son amongst them. I voted to remain but I would be ashamed to use terms like that against people whose views don't happen to be the same as mine.

daphnedill Fri 24-Jun-16 10:46:32

@joelsnan

Just to be accurate here...50% of the population is, by definition, of below average intelligence. Just saying!

Icyalittle Fri 24-Jun-16 10:55:39

So the young who strongly supported Remain, and whose future is rubbished by the result, have been hammered by those whose lives are least affected by their choice.

Joelsnan Fri 24-Jun-16 10:56:18

Nigglynellie never underestimate a peasant, or give him the vote ?
So are you suggesting the return of servitude? Strip the workers and especially the
women's democratic right of say,? We became the first democratic country because of the peasants, we achieved decent working conditions and community welfare because of the 'peasants' and the development of unions.
Sad that the struggles of our 'peasant' forefathers are so diminished.

kittylester Fri 24-Jun-16 11:02:06

Surely, it isn't 'they' who have voted to leave, but 'we'. The people who don't agree with you are still part of our country. It's a flipping democracy

Joelsnan Fri 24-Jun-16 11:03:54

Daphnedill
Perhaps it is more correctly that 50% of the population did not receive an adequate level of education. However, the measure of educational intelligence IQ, does not define a worldly, hardworking, astute person. There are some wealthy, socially minded, happy folk around who keep this country going who technically could be classed as below average intelligence.

Gracesgran Fri 24-Jun-16 11:04:32

It isn't we kittylester nearly half the population didn't want to leave. The majority may have carried the vote but that is not the same as all of us.

Elegran Fri 24-Jun-16 11:12:13

But if we make it "us" and "them" the country will be divided which would be a disaster. Regardless of who voted for what, we are all in the same boat, sink or float, and we all have to take a turn at the oars, tiller, or baling bucket.

grannyactivist Fri 24-Jun-16 11:16:52

Elegran I agree.
I do understand the disappointment felt by many this morning, and I share it, but the divisiveness caused by this nasty campaign needs to be healed. I hope that once people have expressed their disappointment and fears we can try to make an effort to behave kindly.